Has For Honor ever been fixed?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Has For Honor ever been fixed?

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Uh, I see I'm late. Yeah, the season pass is basically getting things early and not having to buy them with steel. You get steel regularly from playing. You can use everyone in the practise modes so you don't have to buy anything blind.

So it turns out that there was just a really, really large patch still loading in the background. I didn't notice the loading bar on Uplay for some reason. I've played a couple of games now and didn't have any problems.
It's actually a fine game. Could've been much more if Ubisoft didn't fuck up the release so bad with weeks of constant downtime.
I highly advise you to just go to "How to play" and mess around in Free Mode for a while to get used to new characters. It's actually a fairly deep fighting system and feels very satisfying to pull off.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm in fifteen Dominion matches and a couple of 4 vs. 4 Deathmatches. Didn't disconnect once, didn't even have any laggy guy, despite the start of especially Dominion matches sometimes taking some time. Matchmaking itself is surprisingly quick, though.
I've got to say that I didn't expect everything to go so smoothly.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 am

So since this is pretty much the dedicated For Honour thread anyway, a few pointers:
Don't pay too much attention to the difficulty rating of the character you chose. One rated hard may be a tiny bit harder to learn but is also often more versatile, thus harder to deal with so it evens out.

In character customisation, there's a menu called "How to Play". Watch those videos, especially the advanced one. It may give you ideas you hadn't thought about.

This is basically a fighting game. Keep in mind what defeated you or how you defeated somebody. If you're wrecked by guard breaks, work on that. If you kick somebody's ass with them, abuse it as much as you can.

Revive your team mates and play for the objective. You're useless fighting some dude in the middle of nowhere and reviving pals gives you XP, making you stronger.

Finally, don't be afraid to hop on online. There are plenty of people that are terrible. Most people can't deal with at least one specific tactic. Abuse it!

My favourite class by the way is the Lawbringer.

PS: This isn't Reddit spacing. Consider this a list.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 am

Mein Nigger

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 am
So since this is pretty much the dedicated For Honour thread anyway, a few pointers:
Don't pay too much attention to the difficulty rating of the character you chose. One rated hard may be a tiny bit harder to learn but is also often more versatile, thus harder to deal with so it evens out.

In character customisation, there's a menu called "How to Play". Watch those videos, especially the advanced one. It may give you ideas you hadn't thought about.

This is basically a fighting game. Keep in mind what defeated you or how you defeated somebody. If you're wrecked by guard breaks, work on that. If you kick somebody's ass with them, abuse it as much as you can.

Revive your team mates and play for the objective. You're useless fighting some dude in the middle of nowhere and reviving pals gives you XP, making you stronger.

Finally, don't be afraid to hop on online. There are plenty of people that are terrible. Most people can't deal with at least one specific tactic. Abuse it!

PS: This isn't Reddit spacing. Consider this a list.
I had some troubles getting the game to run with the launcher being stuck a few times. When I finally got it going it did run buttery smooth though, didnt have too much playtime left after all that but I did the first 4 campain missions and that gave me a nice feel of the game at least. I love it so far, it felt a bit clunky and jerky to me at first but I soon learned its just a bit slower (more realistic too) so you can place your hits and time combos better etc and Ive grown to like it.

Havent tried online yet but Im never intimidated by getting owned lol. its the best way to learn. Probably will do some online games tonight after I get through the viking campaign,

Yeah those how to play vids are great, I love games like this that are willing to take some time to learn you the game. No need to google everything you need to know is very nice.

I played the campaign on normal and it felt a bit easy so might try hard now and that should at least prepare me a bit for online fights. Either way its a great experience so far and winning a (boss)fight really feels like an accomplishment.
I do have some problems with knowing which enemies are cannon fodder to cut through and which ones I should lock on to. And do I need to block/dodge those cannonfodder npc attacks later on or dont they hurt at all? Seems im just blindly button mashing through them in those parts not sure if that is how it is meant to be played.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 pm

They really are cannon fodder. You should still try to block some of their stuff when you're in a duell. The other player has much higher priority, of course, but if you get really surrounded those little guys can be quite annoying and whittle you down.
It's always best to not wade too deep into them.

Duel against the AI is also good practice. Especially because you don't have to wait around too much and can just try stuff out. You can also play the multiplayer modes against AI. Pick the mode, switch to People vs. AI and then via F1 in the parameters you can turn off matchmaking to play exclusively with and against AI. It's a good way to try out the modes without pressure. You can even get XP and Iron from that.
It's a good idea to do the challenges every once in a while. They give between 100 and 350 Iron, making the 15k Iron to unlock a character much more resonable.

But play the campaign. You get to play many characters in that so you'll find one you like.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm

I was doing pretty well, I even turned up difficulty to hard and kept blazing through the campaign.

Until one certain point though. The knight campaign mission where you first use the peacekeeper and after doing the 2 objectives and going up a stairs there is 1 dude with a 2 hand axe guarding a door. The room is very small and he just keeps pwning me. Am I supposed to learn a special mechanic there or what is the way to beat him?
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Berzerker can pound you quite hard. Learning to counter by timing a heavy attack just right works against all AI quite well. I don't think I've ever seen the AI faint an attack.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:11 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:04 pm
Berzerker can pound you quite hard. Learning to counter by timing a heavy attack just right works against all AI quite well. I don't think I've ever seen the AI faint an attack.
Learning those counters certainly helped. Had to try 20 more times though and pick a different feat but I finally beat him and felt great actually having needed to improve my play and that I didnt switch back to easy to prepare me better for online. Completed the knights campaign and might do the vikings one in the weekend.

Small issue I have now though is that at random the game keeps running in the background after closing, known issue but still annoying after a game has been out this long.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:43 am

I never had that happen.

For actual players you'll also need to get used to counter guard breaks, which comes with time, and to only use counters for heavy attacks at the last moment.
With many characters you don't get anything guaranteed for countering a light. That hardly matters, though. Lights are hard to counter anyway and they barely do any block damage. You'll only ever want to counter heavies because actual people like to faint by pressing E to bait you into attempting to counter so they can instead dodge or counter your accidental heavy and punish you, often with a guard break.

Man, the dedicated servers helped this game greatly. I've yet to experience any lag that would make it hard to react to stuff. I never got to play much online before because you'd often get really laggy players or the servers were just plain down.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!