The Metal thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Pope Corky III

Re: The Metal thread

Post by Pope Corky III » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 pm

One thing you could do is look up a band called Necrophobic. Anyone with refined taste will tell you that The Nocturnal Silence is one of the most underrated yet greatest death metal albums ever.

And then the next three albums they did after that (Darkside, The Third Antichrist, Bloodhymns) were brilliant hi-fi black metal in the vein of Dissection, Sacramentum, Enslaved, etc.

If you end up not liking those three, you still have one of the best unsung death classics ever.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 pm

I'll check it out. The first three minutes are okay so far. I'm just really missing the rumbling heaviness, which is really why I don't like most Black Metal I've heard. The Nocturnal Silence doesn't really sound like Death Metal to me. Too high pitched.
If you use the unwound strings on the guitar at all outside of a solo you're doing something wrong and please plug in the bassists instrument for the recording :lol:

The kinda Death Metal I'm into is more along the lines of this:

I mean, it's already got a tank on the cover so there's half the work for a good Death Metal album done right there. :lol:
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 pm
Too high pitched.
If you use the unwound strings on the guitar at all outside of a solo you're doing something wrong and please plug in the bassists instrument for the recording :lol:
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What about tonality and riff originality? Even Scream Bloody Gore had Evil Dead and Zombie Ritual.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 pm

It's hyperbole, lad. I'm just not a fan of the whole high note single string strumming that's ubiquitous in Black Metal. It sounds like somebody is practicing Misirlou but got halfway stuck
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:08 pm

That was more in regards to "Nocturnal Silence doesn't sound like death metal."
da PAC Nigguh wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 pm

Sounds more like Black Metal to me, yeah. It's not what I think about when I think about Death Metal.
I mean, fuck's sake, it's got a pentagram on the cover and not a tank. Really easy to tell the difference, mate.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Tanks could be on any kind of sub genre of metal album though. Hell tanks have been on prog albums.

I think if anything tanks are more thrash than death metal.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Maybe it weren't Thrash and Death I'm into but tanks after all!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 am

I ain't gonna lie, tanks are sweet. But if Babymetal decide their next album cover is a photoshoot of me fucking Rachel Starr and Asia Carerra I'm not automatically gonna give the music an A+.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 am

Pope Corky III wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 am
I ain't gonna lie, tanks are sweet. But if Babymetal decide their next album cover is a photoshoot of me fucking Rachel Starr and Asia Carerra I'm not automatically gonna give the music an A+.
The music obviously has to live up to it. Tank on cover? Sweet! Music is shitty, Italian Power Metal? I feel betrayed.
But there's a good chance that any album with a tank on it is good. Especially when it's Death Metal, which it better damn should be. Tanks make everything better.
Shit, if there's anything I'd hold against Bolt Thrower it's that there has never been a tank on the cover of any album. They do get a pass because many songs are about tanks, they got artillery cannons on covers, as samples and subjects in songs regularly and lots of covers are WH40k artwork.

And the perfect start to a Death Metal album goes to Hail of Bullets:

I fucking love that album and that start of it so much.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!