PUBG

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: PUBG

Post by mad bum » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:58 am

I'd argue it's the first popularized game of this type, but there were some indie games that did the same thing, however failed because no one played them.

And there lies the problem, there will be no good competition like the moba market, and these games rely on people playing them, so if someone else makes something similar it would fail unless it went f2p
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:47 am

People already cared more about PvP in regular DayZ than anything else. The only thing he has done is remove the buggy zombies entirely and force a time limit on it in a smaller area.
People like that stuff and I'm not even arguing against it. It's just not like he created Counter Strike from Half Life. He reduced DayZ down into a twenty minute match. He made table tennis from tennis and pretends it's a wholly unique idea.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 pm
Fortnight isn't even remotely like PUBG. Plus it's shit and will be a failure anyway.
I have a buddy who plays Fortnite and he says the new "PUBG" mode is basically a completely rebalanced game mode with an entirely different feel. The balance was shifted, from the ground up, to be essentially PUBG with the ability to place buildings.

It makes no sense to me why they would do this but whatever. Probably saw an opportunity to capitalize on the popularity of PUBG within their own game.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm

So they made an extra game mode that's like PUBG? OK, didn't know that. That's hilarious.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 pm
It makes no sense to me
A first teaser of this game was shown at the end of 2011. Game was most likely stuck in development hell and now they try to make as much coin back as possible.

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:24 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:56 am
I wonder if PUBG will metastasize into its own genre like DOTA did. I can definitely see others besides Epic Games being really eager after seeing those sales numbers.
It's already it's own genre... battle roayle games have been around for a while, PUBG is basically like an iphone - not the first smartphone, but a package put together better than others at the time.

First battle royale concept was a mod of a mod - DayZ. It honestly was just an evolution of a DayZ concept, transforming into faster gameplay. Instead of dying of hunger, thirst or to ten thousand and one glitches like in DayZ, and either spending 10 hours to gear up and die, or going into Elektro and dying in 5 minutes, Battle Royale features just the quick loot and fight others part, while forcing people to move - the concept is the same.

After DayZ, H1Z1, another survival game, further popularized this as it became it's most popular gamemode. Then came other games, I don't remember the names anymore, but it was more of them, however, none of them made success compareable to H1Z1 - however, that game went to shit because of mismanagement and tragic development somewhat similar to DayZ incident.

So, the genre has been a shitshow between Early Access clown developers without really having anything polished enough to look like a product you would want to pay for without feeling like an alpha tester. And that went on for quite a while, until PUBG came in, and with help of streamers eventually exploded, because it's just better than the competition, which frankly isn't that hard to achieve, when you look at when they compete with.

And if I understand it, the devs of PUBG are mostly pissed off that Epic is making a competing product while they helped to some extent to develop PUBG, helping with engine and such? While that's nice and all, this whole incident is a PR fiasco and a failure on their part, because not only everybody laughs at them, but it has turned into a massive promo campaign for Fornite for free. Way to go, morons. As you can see, money can blind anyone and turn them into drooling idiots. It's not like PUBG hasn't made enough money already, right? They deserve to get fucked.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:50 am

Yeah, there was this other game that was basically what PUBG is but it didn't stick around. It was also around all the typical YT cucks and streamer channels and I can't recall the name either. That may be why it died, the name was so generic nobody could remember it.
The iPhone comparison is spot on.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 am

This game could honestly use some competition, maybe then they will actually have a sale. I've had people tell me they didn't want to have it on sale because then hackers would buy multiple copies, I shit you not.

No it's more like they don't have to put it on sale because they know people will buy it.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am

So I've looked up how Fortnite Battle Royale plays, and it's not bad, I would say that it's possibly better than PUBG, with the ability to built stuff all around the map (which is at least new in terms of the battle royale, otherwise it's taking concept that has been in DayZ forever) and it seems to be working well now.

I don't have the need to buy a battle royale game right now, but if Fortnite becomes more successful, I might pick it up instead of PUBG.
mad bum wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 am
I've had people tell me they didn't want to have it on sale because then hackers would buy multiple copies, I shit you not.
This has been happening with Counter-strike as far as I remember, but it's obvious that the devs don't want to discount the game, there is zero reason to do so when it's the best selling game on steam, only a moron would lower the potential income, you do discount sales when people aren't buying the product for full price anymore.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

jamesjackson

Post by jamesjackson » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am

This game has received more success after being release don steam on March 23, 2017. If you are a fan of PUBG (Player Unknown Battlegrounds), after a while, it can get boring, and you would like to be a faggot shill for shitty games this thread has already mentioned.