What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:50 pm

Yeah, special circumstances or clan master race privilege but not the average life of inner sphere plebs.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 pm

Those Inner Savages with their punching BattleMechs.

And a recent Steam discount has finally encouraged me to try out Earth Defense Force 5.
It's pretty much an improved EDF 4.1. Grinding has been made less painless. You still get some of the armor and weapon boxes if you fail a mission, and the other 3 classes you're not playing as will also get some armor and weapons. Getting weapon drops you already have is now less frustrating since this will improve the old weapon's stats up to a certain point.
Classes now have an extra slot for a passive support equipment, stuff like lighter armor for increased speed, or a better energy reactor for the Wing Diver.

The Ranger (who I've chosen for my first playthrough) has gotten some nice goodies. Shotguns are now piercing, and you can actually sprint so you don't have to roll everywhere (though I had to rebind the key 'cause pressing down the left analogue stick for running just feels weird imo). Sprinting even creates some kind of auto-pick-up aura so it's easier to gobble up armor and weapons. And he can use his support equipment slot for vehicles (seems the Ranger has grabbed some vehicles from the Air Raider).

They've also de-emphasized long range firefights a bit. Long-range weapons have a bit less oomph than they did before, and many non-sniper rifles have their damage output drop with range. Haven't really noticed this affecting stuff too much, though.

I'm not entirely on board with the alien ships' new golden color palette, and I kinda miss Hectors, but their replacements are hilarious. They're giant friggin' frogmen. You can blow their limbs off, and they'll even use buildings as cover to buy some time for their limbs to regrow.
And they come with the running gag of none of the humans ever acknowledging that they're frogs. They just keep repeating how they're "nearly identical" to humans because they're, like, humanoid.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:58 am

EDF is one of those series I enjoy despite it having very big flaws. Things like the Ranger only now getting a sprint ability. No other third person shooter would be okay with the default walk speed of Ranger staying what it was for 4+ fucking games, in a series where the whole point is to traverse massive maps and fight giant monsters.

I know you play the weebshit, so maybe you can tell me which of the god eater games is least homosexual.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:22 am

The first one, aka Burst, aka Resurrection, depending on what version you're looking for. Can feel a bit exhausting towards the end because it has the least amount of monsters, though.
After that, I'd say 3? 2 on the other hand is like the Christopher Street Day of MonHun clones.
rabidtictac wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:58 am
Things like the Ranger only now getting a sprint ability.
Actually, he could sprint in the gaijin-developed Insect Armageddon. Though that one is a bit lamer since it never gets as batshit crazy as the real deal.
Aside from that, you better learned how to diagonally roll everywhere.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Old Black Man
Champion of Lawlhalla

Post by Old Black Man » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:46 pm
So it's Battletech?
I’ve been playing the 2018 game lately. It’s pretty fun, although they’ll throw some fucking ridiculous odds against you even on lower difficulty missions. I’ve been looking at build guides for assistance, gotta say it’s fun. I’m still more of a Front Mission guy but until that series gets a new entry (not Left Alive) it’ll do nicely for my mech itch.

AC20+CQB=Badass.
I’m getting too old for this shitposting.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:37 am

I haven't played that one myself but a friend that did said the strategy basically boils down to letting the opponent approach and just alpha strike all day.
But that was around release. No idea if that's still the case, or if he was right in the first place.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:36 pm

Front Mission 3 is my gold standard mech strategy game.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:20 pm

Old Black Man wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 am
I’ve been playing the 2018 game lately. It’s pretty fun, although they’ll throw some fucking ridiculous odds against you even on lower difficulty missions. I’ve been looking at build guides for assistance, gotta say it’s fun. I’m still more of a Front Mission guy but until that series gets a new entry (not Left Alive) it’ll do nicely for my mech itch.
Cover is king in this game. If you're not ending your turn sitting in a forest, you're doing something wrong. Perks that improve your cover or give you cover even if you're in the open can't hurt.
It's also for this reason that letting the enemy come to you is more desirable, since you can then control where the fight takes place.
Also make sure to stay mobile since you get extra evasion bonuses depending on how far you've moved.

That multi-target perk (dunno why that's a perk; it's a standard feature in normal BattleTech) can be quite useful in three ways: First it avoids overkilling a target (because he's just about dead or crippled enough that he might as well be), or not getting to use all of your weapons that turn.
Another fun option is to combine this with someone who has a fuckload of LRMs. Spreading out that missile fire can be useful if you just want to reduce the enemies' evasion bonus (which drops with each attack, whether it hits or not).
If your missile boat pilot also has that perk that let's him ignore enemy cover if he's only shooting one weapon at the target, you can trigger that ability if you spread your missiles.

Jump Jets are a godsend, as you can ignore terrain and freely set your facing when landing. So not only can you protect your flanks, but you can just jump behind an enemy (where his armor is weakest) and alpha strike him to kingdom come.

Having the perk that lets you move before and after attacking is nice for a fast 'Mech, since you can shank an enemy and then sod off to safety.

Don't underestimate melee attacks. Stomping tanks is pretty much an insta-kill most of the time, and tackling a lighter 'Mech from behind is a good way to deal major damage and knock the guy off his feet.

And last-but-not-least, take care about how the order of your weapons. You generally want to fire weapons like Lasers and ACs first and then follow up with missiles (since they hit multiple locations and let you "fish" for crits). Though I seem to recall this is already done automatically for individual 'Mech fire.

For weapon loadouts, it's generally best if your weapon ranges are close to each other so you can avoid situations where you can't do a full alpha strike. A missile boat can easily make do with LRMs only. It sucks if an enemy gets too close to him, but the other 3 'Mechs in your lance can easily draw aggro by standing between the enemy and your missile boat.
A possible exception would be a build where you use different ranges on purpose if your heat sinks couldn't handle a full alpha strike.
AC20+CQB=Badass.
That's the point 8-)
-Yours Truly

Old Black Man
Champion of Lawlhalla

Post by Old Black Man » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:28 pm

Agreed about Front Mission 3 rabid, I have the first one translated, 3 on the PS3 digitally, and a disc of 4. I know it wasn’t as well received but I just grabbed Evolved on sale last night.

Your friend is right Kugel, like Voice said cover based perks are key. Some strats have changed since all the updates, but a good approach is to take cover and let them hit you first, then retaliate like Voice said.

Speaking of, good tips man. I love melee, I tend to use medium to heavy right now and white power stomping a vehicle or downed enemy is so satisfying, and multi target is a godsend for those light cocksuckers who can build up max evasion in one move.

The breach shot with LRM is brilliant! I use the starter girl Behemoth as my heavy/missile boat captain, she has multi target, bulwark, and will soon have breaching shot. My main has bulwark, sure footing, and the ace pilot movement skill. Nothing beats AC20ing a sucker and then running away like an asshole. :lol: Some missions you get whittled down by the sheer number of enemy turns even with cover, so I’ll take a more aggressive approach and rush if they pull that shit. Tactically it makes sense, but the way the AI gangs up on one target is a bit cheap, seeing as they can cause major damage or even destruction in one round depending on the dice roll.

Definitely agree on pairing weapons. I have a CQB Centurian loaded with SRM6 and MLs, plus a cockpit mod for protection. I want to find more equipment, some of the stuff you can find is awesome. Apparently the LosTech stuff from the DLCs doesn’t appear till after you clear the campaign, so I’m working my way towards that.

I do wish there was a respec option. Apparently there was a save editor but it’s now defunct or something.
I’m getting too old for this shitposting.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Old Black Man wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:28 pm
Agreed about Front Mission 3 rabid, I have the first one translated, 3 on the PS3 digitally, and a disc of 4. I know it wasn’t as well received but I just grabbed Evolved on sale last night.
Evolved is a stripped down Armored Core. It's not half as good as AC3, which for me is the gold standard of AC games. But Front Mission 3 and FM1 are great. Even if I weren't a buyfag, I'd still have made sure to purchase the DS game and FM3. Front Mission 1 is fucking mind-blowing when you consider how old the game is. It had all the pieces in place at around the same time Fire Emblem was starting to come into its own (with Geneology and Thracia).
RAPEMAN wrote: