Cyberpunk 2077 train wreck general

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
veris leta facies

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 train wreck general

Post by veris leta facies » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:49 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:50 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:38 pm
Angelfire Memes wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:04 pm
The big reviewers are just consoomers who naively take it all.
They are but they also have a vested interest to kiss ass so they don't get blacklisted.
That + when I say "paid," I mean paid off in some way. Not necessarily with money. But still paid off. It's a carrot-and-stick environment. If you review the games well, then the publisher sends you advance copies and other goodies and gets you into special events. These benefits ultimately bring you more exposure and money over your competitors who maybe don't have this level of access.
That has more or less always been the case with the commercial game review industry. I remember even back in the late 1990s on one game magazine's forum one of their own critics said that they can't be all the time 100% brutally honest with their reviews. He recommended reading the review instead of giving too much weight to the rating and reading especially between the lines.

I don’t think critics these days are interested in putting their honest opinion even between the lines anymore.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:26 pm

EGM (despite the editors being proto-SJWs) was pretty honest back in the 90s, regularly giving games low scores if they were ass. This was the era where there were 10 new NFL games a month, though, and the industry wasn't ruled by EA.

NES had 17 launch games, btw.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 pm

I blame it on the gamers/consumers. If people stopped putting value in useless paid reviews or even reviews from people scared of backlash and actually stopped buying the magazines or visiting the sites theyd disappear but no gamers are retards.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Reviewers became a lot easier to buy off when the internet opened up competition. Sure, Nintendo Power were always lying shills, but not every magazine would let a game off easy because of kickbacks. I feel like the Gamespot era is when corporate bribery got really bad. Of course, it was also an extremely public case, so it could just be that was one of the first times we heard about reviewers being paid off/getting fired for not praising a shitty game.

And no, guestfag, you're wrong about people valuing reviews. Even if most people didn't value reviews at all and the mainstream websites went away, big corporate game companies would still buy reviews from whatever youtubers or social media faggots were big. Even if those people weren't involved in the games industry. It happens now, but it would happen more if IGN weren't around. Corporate game companies will always value reviews even if consumers don't, because it's a) one measurement to arbitrarily deny employees raises/benefits/bonuses and b) a useless award they can slap on their GOTY box or corporate website for company clout. ALL companies love positive reviews and taut that shit even if they know they paid for the review.

Remember when every youtuber under the sun, in any interest field, was suddenly shilling Audible? And I mean inside their videos, at about the halfway mark, without any ad break. Embedded fucking ads. That didn't happen by accident. Great Courses Plus did the same shit. Turns out that a large company can shit money in every direction at once and buy up cuckslaves like a plantation owner before the Civil War.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 pm

This post brought to you by Honey.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 pm
Of all products shilled by INs, Honey has to be the absolutely worst. Of course I want a browser extension snooping around when I'm shopping online!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:10 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 pm
Turns out that a large company can shit money in every direction at once and buy up cuckslaves like a plantation owner before the Civil War.
Large companies do that because making a profit is less lucrative than attracting investment. Which you can do by throwing money around recklessly.

Guestfag

Post by Guestfag » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:50 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 pm
And no, guestfag, you're wrong about people valuing reviews. Even if most people didn't value reviews at all and the mainstream websites went away, big corporate game companies would still buy reviews from whatever youtubers or social media faggots were big.
Well, that's still review/reviewer, isn't it?
Even if those people weren't involved in the games industry. It happens now, but it would happen more if IGN weren't around. Corporate game companies will always value reviews even if consumers don't, because it's a) one measurement to arbitrarily deny employees raises/benefits/bonuses and b) a useless award they can slap on their GOTY box or corporate website for company clout. ALL companies love positive reviews and taut that shit even if they know they paid for the review.
While I disagree with first sentence (because I doubt it would happen more, if anything, it would be the same, but like you said, they would branch out and go for streamers and youtubers instead), you're right.
Remember when every youtuber under the sun, in any interest field, was suddenly shilling Audible? And I mean inside their videos, at about the halfway mark, without any ad break. Embedded fucking ads. That didn't happen by accident. Great Courses Plus did the same shit. Turns out that a large company can shit money in every direction at once and buy up cuckslaves like a plantation owner before the Civil War.
Of course, that's why companies pump more and more money into marketing instead of game itself.

Bribery was more subtle (at least sometimes, remember that fucking disaster DRIV3R? Far from subtle :mrgreen: ), but like you say, with Gamespot era it started getting real bad. Gamespot is also different kind of beast, like them first shilling for Assassin's Creed (can't remember if they shilled for 1st, but definetly for the 3rd one), and in review they were pretty light on it and gave 8. Fast forward 6 months later, and they openly say game sucked ass :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:20 pm

Le Redditeur wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:18 pm
Guest wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 pm
Of all products shilled by INs, Honey has to be the absolutely worst.
I agree, Cutie Honey is terrible.

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:21 pm

Whoa bro, whoa. A shitstorm is going to be unleashed upon you.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.