Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:11 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm
These comics embargos never make any sense, dude. That's why people get so pissed off about them. They're started by assholes in business suits, probably jealous that the cartoon folks are making better content than their live-action dogshit.
They make perfect sense to me, actually.
1) You don't want the merchandising to get confused. The reason the Timm-led CG Green Lantern cartoon failed was that the godawful Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern went and killed all desire for Green Lantern toys
2) You don't want some fucktard in animation to go and basically rip-off, even inadvertently, the movie you've spent years developing and get it on screen quicker because of faster turn-around.

John Semper Jr brags about how if it weren't for him using Blade in the 90s Spider-Man series they never would have made a Blade movie. Watch those Blade episodes of Spider-Man. He clearly read and ripped off the movie script, which had been in development as far back as 1992. You have Whistler, who is not a comics character. David Goyer created him for the film. The comics equivalent was a black jazz musician who got killed. You have Blade as a dhampir (although in the cartoon it's because his mother fucked a vampire) when in the comics he was just a man who couldn't be turned into a vampire. Blade uses a sword (an energy sword rather than a katana because muh censorship) whereas in the comics he only used wooden knives. In the episode where he first appears Blade and Spider-Man team-up to stop Morbius from turning the entire world into vampires. You know, exactly the plot of the fucking movie.

Now imagine if somebody actually cared about the '90s Spider-Man series. It might have completely killed the enthusiasm for the Wesley Snipes film if they'd seen the exact same plot with the exact same characters done somewhere else.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:25 am

Though I feel like all this shit with having to look for - or make up - replacement characters for characters you actually wanted to use creates an inaccurate picture of your intellectual property.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:37 am

Well in the case of Devil Ray I'm not too bothered. He looked like Black Manta. He was black like Black Manta. The only difference is that Batman got to shoot him. With a gun.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:16 am

Guest wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:11 am
. In the episode where he first appears Blade and Spider-Man team-up to stop Morbius from turning the entire world into vampires. You know, exactly the plot of the fucking movie.
Morbius was also going to show up at the end of Blade in the original ending, but the scene was shot so retarded they didn't use it. Morbius is just kind of...standing on another rooftop, dressed as Blade who then proceeds to draw his sword like they're about to have a fight across the street from one another and the movie immediately ends. Its so fucking weird and autistic. If you didn't know it was supposed to be Morbius its just some rando cosplaying as Blade staring at him from another building. Who is this guy? Why does Blade act like shit has suddenly just got real? Why was this shot this way?

In the end I think a rights issue may have had something to do with it too. Morbius is technically a Spiderman and a Blade character.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:36 am

It was definitely a rights issue. Morbius is a Spider-Man character and I don't think Sony wanted to give up the rights, unlike with the Kingpin where they loaned those rights to Fox for Daredevil.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 am

Guest wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:16 am
Morbius was also going to show up at the end of Blade in the original ending, but the scene was shot so retarded they didn't use it. Morbius is just kind of...standing on another rooftop, dressed as Blade who then proceeds to draw his sword like they're about to have a fight across the street from one another and the movie immediately ends. Its so fucking weird and autistic. If you didn't know it was supposed to be Morbius its just some rando cosplaying as Blade staring at him from another building. Who is this guy? Why does Blade act like shit has suddenly just got real? Why was this shot this way?
The MCU would've totally used this as a post-credits scene, and everyone in the audience would've cried out in euphoric glee.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:22 pm

Guest wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:26 am
You do realise that a lot of these projects take years to develop? If they develop at all? Warners have been trying to develop a Wonder Woman film since 1996.
I ignored the rest except this part since it's the most important. I admit I just did a quick look at when Whedon's movie was being written. I wasn't looking for anything else when making the comment. My question is why the fuck did the wiki not put that in as speculation for why Timm had issues with Wonder Woman? Joss Whedon has shit all to do with it. I brought up the fact that Whedon's script was being written, which means pre-production, in 2006.

It would have made more sense that Timm having problems due to them trying to make a movie starting with Ivan Rietman since 1996. This is an example why I don't use wikis for accuracy.

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Guest wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:11 am
1) You don't want the merchandising to get confused. The reason the Timm-led CG Green Lantern cartoon failed was that the godawful Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern went and killed all desire for Green Lantern toys
Interesting I didn't know that even though I could believe it.

I remember when that, Young Justice, the GL Cartoon, and Beware the Batman got cancelled within a year and people started sperging that Cartoon Network did it because they no longer wanted Superhero cartoons. Which is funny because Teen Titans Go was airing at the same time.

What the idiots don't get is that cartoons depend on merchandise based on it selling to stay alive. Without it, they get cancelled. This happens all over the world. Heck the reason the original run of Dragon Ball Kai got cancelled was due to this exact reason. Definitely GL and Young Justice got cancelled due to low merchandising while Teen Titans Go has stayed alive due to its merchandise selling.

I don't know the story behind why Beware The Batman got cancelled. I just know that midway through its original run it got moved to Adult Swim. Why? I don't know. My guess is that kids didn't like the show itself. I remember watching it years later and being unimpressed by it.

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:24 pm

Eh, 2013 was around the time Cartoon Network really started to suck anyways.

But r.i.p Megas XLR, Generator Rex and Symbiotic Titan (and probably others as well) because of this.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Face it, guys. Gaijin mecha was always doomed to fail.

(Not counting the glory that is the BattleTech cartoon, of course.)
-Yours Truly