Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Retro Games

Post by mad bum » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 am

Lets talk about the confusion that was legend of mana. That's a game I both love and hate.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:59 am

I tried playing that game a few months ago and couldn't figure out what the fuck I was even playing or how to play it.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:48 pm

Legend of Mana is whimsy af. I think playing the game for too long might give you the beetus.
I also found the combat system a bit muddy. I tried to go for claws since they were pretty lulzy in SoM, but I quickly gravitated to spears because weapons with short range are a bitch to use.
Guest wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 am
The only Mana game I ever played was the one on GBA. Please donut bully me.
You should play Secret of Mana (the SNES original, if possible), or at least listen to its OST. It's one of the best ever made.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:08 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:45 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:53 pm
Good thing the remake doesn't even cover the first disc then :3
I hate it when these fuckers "remake" shit but change the genre entirely and sell it as a remake.
It's especially odd in this case as they didn't stand to gain anything from it. All the changes could ever do was piss people off.
They're blatantly cashing in on fanboy nostalgia, especially the meme that this ancient PS1 JRPG is somehow impossible to remake within a single game. It's like they think you can't even remake the first 15 minutes of the game without making a full-scale, GTA-tier simulation of all of Midgar or something.

The real reason is that Squeenix' FF department is woefully inefficient and suffers from piss-poor managament. I mean, they don't even know how the remake of the rest of the game will look like. That shit can easily take 5 years - and they probably still won't be at the end of the first disc.
Le Redditeur wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:42 am
Ironically, the Trials of Mana remake is very well done. It may be the single instance of Squeenix not fucking up.
We have to thank the Mana franchise to be niche enough that the pretentious hacks of Squeenix weren't too interested in the remake.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 am

Does anyone know of any "open world" type games, or semi-open games, that precede River City Ransom? I'm trying to think of some. I assume the PC has loads, but I'm thinking of consoles. So not counting Brogue and shit like that. Earliest console open world games. I guess Zelda.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:22 am

I was about to say "Metroid", but that game was released a few months later. Always thought it was older since it didn't have battery saves.

Though if you are willing to count home computers as "consoles", the very first open world game was probably Elite.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm

It's a very arbitrary genre definition. If RCR counts, so should Rogue, Adventure and a good few hundred CRPGs.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 am
Does anyone know of any "open world" type games, or semi-open games, that precede River City Ransom? I'm trying to think of some. I assume the PC has loads, but I'm thinking of consoles. So not counting Brogue and shit like that. Earliest console open world games. I guess Zelda.
Considering your avatar, you'd probably love this game.

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Sieg Zeon

Post by Sieg Zeon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:01 am
Cross is a great game but a poor sequel. I take it on those terms. I can enjoy Cross while accepting its flaws.
I think playing it a second time as an adult and making those connections I missed (Everything in Chronopolis, Porre) made me appreciate it more. They even reference the reptites surviving and evolving into the dragonians of CC. Play the DS port of CT and then Cross back to back, it’s a great way to really connect it together. Also RIP Prometheus. :(

Good pick Mad Bum. My only thing with that game was there was a mechanic or two that I didn’t understand and the way the game after a set point. I had more stuff I wanted to do but got locked into the ending, it needed a new game plus.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:04 am

All I remember about Chrono Cross is it had a hot chick in it, but I don't think she gets naked.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:27 am

mad bum wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 am
Considering your avatar, you'd probably love this game.

Looks like it has too much story and too little combat. Also 2deep4u edgyshit about growing up. I can get much better jap delinquents from my fapanese animes. Crows does the whole "cycle of maturation" thing very well without skimping on the violence or trying to be depressing about it.

I would love to see more beat em ups take a note from classic kunio/rcr and japanese delinquent culture, but it's a subgenre with a tiny audience. Beat em ups on their own have very few fans left. Hell, I wouldn't mind if someone would make a beat em up that uses american or eurotrash high-school gangs as the inspiration.
RAPEMAN wrote: