Indie Games that Aren't Shit

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Indie Games that Aren't Shit

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:16 pm

I probably should have remembered Hotline Miami. Massively popular, so not a HIDDEN GEM or anything. /inb4metaljesuscucks recommends it. But it's fun. It was ported to everything and the ports are fine, as far as I know. I noticed the vita version was free for some reason, so I downloaded it and that port works fine too. PC is still easily the best way to experience the game, however. I like Stealth games and I like extremely violent shred-em-ups like Prototype. This game scratches both itches. The bosses are gimmicky, but I'll blame the engine for that. There's no such thing as injury in Hotline Miami, so every boss must be beaten perfectly. Either the boss is too easy or too hard, with no middle ground. But the game has very few boss fights, so it's fine.

In some ways, I prefer Deadbolt. Deadbolt is the same concept, but it occurs in a 1960s-style, mob-inspired Underworld. Deadbolt is harder and it takes off the kid gloves much faster. Both games control extremely well and that tight control is required, as the games would be unplayable without it.

Would you guys consider Deadly Premonition an indie game? Or not?
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:41 pm

Double Penetration isn't indie, it just happens to be a very "quality" experience handled by a lesser known development studio.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:11 am

Is there a consensus on if nu-DP is "good" or not? I haven't looked into it, I don't got a Switch so I'm really just asking if watching a longplay is worth it.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:09 am

It was never good to begin with. Plus you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice.
Guest wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:41 pm
Double Penetration isn't indie, it just happens to be a very "quality" experience handled by a lesser known development studio.
It's not indie. Just amateurish.

EDIT: Just thought of a few sandbox thingies:

Kerbal Space Program aka NASA Simulator With Weird Cartoon Critters. I find it pretty chill and relaxing, and there's a kickass sense of accomplishment if you hit your personal milestones (like fly to the moon and back, build your own space station,...) or manage to turn things around when shit hits the fan (I once didn't have enough fuel to make it back into orbit, but I had juuust enough left that several days of airbraking finally got me there).

From the Depths is like militant lego. You build your own vehicles from blocks, faff around with their AI and slowly conquer reef after reef. Vehicles include ships, submarines, aircraft, spacecraft (though you're stuck in lower orbit) and tanks.
It's still in Early Access, but you can already waste hours designing a vehicle, doing shit like sloping your armor so bullets can get deflected, built air pockets to counter shit like HESH rounds, and not to mention that almost every single weapon is also built with blocks, down to the last magazine.

Children of a Dead Earth is kinda like a mix between those two. It focuses on extreme hard sci-fi space battles where you can't even aim manually 'cause the distances are so fuckhuge.
And if you get tired of the pre-built ships, you can build your own. You can also design weapons form scratch, right down to picking the fucking gas used for your laser gun.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:11 am
Is there a consensus on if nu-DP is "good" or not? I haven't looked into it, I don't got a Switch so I'm really just asking if watching a longplay is worth it.
It looks like shit and the faggots who say it's good seem to be MASSIVE cucks like that thorhighheels guy. The frame rate in particular is much worse even than standard DP.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:56 pm

This is why more games need to at least open source their engines so some NEET can waste his whole life making a source port so DP doesn't run like ass.

Complicity

Post by Complicity » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 pm

Synthetik.
Very good shooter/roguelite with covers, weapon customization and maintenance, stealth and classes.

Apparently the Gaming Rapist struck gold recently by releasing a Simon's Quest remake that people are comparing with Symphony of the Night.

Maybe i will play it, his Faxanadu remake was good.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:06 am

Also apparently the guy made this:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:29 am

Yeah ed is a failed game reviewer super conservative bible thumper
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:48 am

I can't believe I haven't mentioned Broforce yet! Fast and exactly as great as it looks like.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!