YMS: The Pretentious Furfag Movie Critic

Whine and Bitch about people long after they become interesting to talk about

Re: YMS: The Pretentious Furfag Movie Critic

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:41 pm

Great artists steal, but they also have the creativity to put their own vision into it and make it distinct. Tarentino doesn't do that, his are a pastiche of far superior Hong Kong films.

Cuckara

Post by Cuckara » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 pm

I feel like a lot of people try too hard to fight back against the Tarantino idol worship by shitting all over him. His fanboys can be obnoxious, but when you get past all of the autism that surrounds him, he's a very enjoyable director. Yeah, a lot of his stuff is basically pastiche, but he does an impressive job of melding various genres and filmmaking techniques into a cohesive whole.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:53 pm

I liked his movies up until Kill Bill or so. That movie had no business coming in two parts. They are still fine, though. After that I didn't give a fuck.
From Dusk Till Dawn is mostly garbage.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Cuckara

Post by Cuckara » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:08 pm

From Dusk till Dawn is weird. The first half is classic Tarantino, but as soon as the protagonists get to the bar, it becomes Rodriguez style schlock, and the schlock is nowhere near as interesting as the Tarantino crime drama stuff. It's tempting to lay most of the blame on Rodriguez, although Tarantino is the one who wrote the screenplay.

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:02 pm

I liked From Dusk Till Dawn, but I would say it's downright experimental. I can't blame someone for not liking it, I'll admit I won't be seeing that any time soon again. I think Pulp Fiction is easily Tarantino's best. Then I liked Reservoir Dogs, that movie is kinda messy on it's own, but it grew on me over time. It sure tries to look cool, and I think it's working on me.

Then I saw like first 20 minutes of Kill Bill and ended up hating it, and then I kinda forgot about Tarantula. Haven't seen anything newer since then, but I've heard Inglorious Basterds were good.

// Oh and I'm gonna disagree on first half of From Dusk being "classic Tarantino" - I don't know where you came up with that crap. Yes, there are few tense moments, but honestly, to me, the first part was kinda meh, this was lacking what Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction have, which is a crew of interesting, colorful characters. I didn't really care for Seth or his rapist brother, for the family, or anyone else. They aren't bad, but they lacked something that would make them either sympathetic or interesting enough for me to care. Similar to Natural Born killers, I can't watch that movie, the characters are shit and I hate them (that's an extreme case, but similar issue).

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Easily the best part in Kill Bill. Probably one of the first anime fight scenes I've ever seen.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:11 pm

I don't hate Tarentino, I actually like him more with each passing day. He is a least somewhat of an auteur with a dedication to his craft, compare that to the modern state of the film industry, nothing but meaningless names attached to producer dominated films.

I just think a lot of the love of him comes from people who don't really watch a lot of cinema and they've elevated him to this master level director when they don't even know who someone like Demy or Kieslowski is. They have this paradigm of there only existing the mainstream hollywood trash and Tarentino, which in itself reveals their ignorance.

I don't care for his work that much though. He tends to come up with interesting concepts and strong first halves and then is unable to develop it. You mentioned From Dusk Till Dawn and the sudden genre change has its charm but I agree in that the tense thriller is a lot more interesting. Same too for Reservoir Dogs, starts out as a great thriller and then degenerates into a standard gangster flick. Pulp Fiction is ok, as is Kill Bill. His westerns are unimaginative dreck, but then again that goes for every western past the 70s.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 pm

>Not liking the 2nd half of dusk till dawn

CMON SEX MACHINE!
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Guest wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:41 pm
Great artists steal, but they also have the creativity to put their own vision into it and make it distinct. Tarentino doesn't do that, his are a pastiche of far superior Hong Kong films.
He does. His own vision just includes a lot of feet.
Moe Bitches wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:08 pm
Easily the best part in Kill Bill. Probably one of the first anime fight scenes I've ever seen.
Didn't he once play with the idea of making an entire Kill Bill prequel in that style? Guess 2D feet just didn't work out for him.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:34 pm

From Dusk Till Dawn just clashes too much with none of the parts being all that great. The first half is too serious, the second too goofy. I know that's intentional but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!