What are you listening to?

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by MegaNigger » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 pm

I can't stop listening to MC Jarbo. Ice Cream truck is a hidden jem on that album :lol:
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:54 am
Not typical for Black Metal but then again I'm not a Black Metal kinda guy. Black Metal from Australia is already rare in itself, I guess.
Australian black metal? Well, ain't that pretty incongruous, Stralians singing about death, frost and darkness. People from Down Under should only be making songs about kangaroos, sunshine and happiness. :lol: But that's a quite good track, quite unorthodox BM, but not bad at all. Gotta check them out some more.

Never heard of The Crow. Quite alright, always nice to make some Hasselhoff references. Bolt Thrower was one of the first DM bands I heard. WarMaster and For Victory are legendary albums, should check more also this band's discography.
rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:54 am
The best black metal I can think of is black sabbath. Probably War Pigs or some shit. I don't know what people consider Paranoid to be. Early Sabbath had some of the best protest music.
Black Sabbath doesn't really have anything to do with black metal, BM is based on late 70's/early 80's thrash and speed metal. Sabbath of course influenced more or less most of the future metal trends but, above all, it laid down the foundation for doom metal. My favourite Sabbath albums are Vol. 4, Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell. The Ozzy era is certainly legendary, but those two Dio albums hit me hardest.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:15 pm

I was confused then. I thought black metal was doom metal or something.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:47 pm

CIANigger wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 pm
I can't stop listening to MC Jarbo. Ice Cream truck is a hidden jem on that album :lol:
MC Jarbo is a musical triumph. Legitimate sound kino in every way.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 am

Black Sabbath isn't Black Metal. They are NWOBHM and sometimes Doom. Venom is often named as the first Black Metal band but Bathory are likely the first that had the sound one normally thinks off with that genre.
veris leta facies wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:59 pm
Bolt Thrower was one of the first DM bands I heard. WarMaster and For Victory are legendary albums, should check more also this band's discography.
Go with To Those Once Loyal then. Their last and one of their strongest albums.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Musical Space Cowboy

Post by Musical Space Cowboy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:20 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 am
Venom is often named as the first Black Metal band but Bathory are likely the first that had the sound one normally thinks off with that genre.
Hellhammer's demos and Sarcofago's first album could fit as well, considering that those came out around the same time as early Bathory and Venom.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 am

Musical Space Cowboy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:20 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:47 am
Venom is often named as the first Black Metal band but Bathory are likely the first that had the sound one normally thinks off with that genre.
Hellhammer's demos and Sarcofago's first album could fit as well, considering that those came out around the same time as early Bathory and Venom.
Yeah, those are often mentioned along with the two. It's most likely not worth it to go on a specific hunt for who was actually the first as with most genres it's a progress that happens in stages.
But it's more clear cut than Death Metal or even Speed Metal. Hell, show me a single person that claims to even know the exact definition of Speed Metal and I show you a liar.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Musical Space Cowboy

Post by Musical Space Cowboy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 am
It's most likely not worth it to go on a specific hunt for who was actually the first as with most genres it's a progress that happens in stages.
Exactly. The early extreme metal bands, because they were playing a nascent genre, have some overlap in sound and style. Example: Sodom is an all-out Motorhead-worshipping thrash band, but their earliest stuff has more in common with Bathory or Venom. Similar story with the earliest Sepultura records.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:58 am

I don't know any Thrash band that sounded the same from the 80s or 90s to now. Even Slayer changed over time.
That phenomenon is also true in Electronica. What was considered Hardcore (or Gabber as it were) in the early 2000s and now is extremely different.
It also had to do a lot with technical developments. For Techno that's immediately obvious but also for metal you couldn't have played Deathcore in the seventies with an old Vox amplifier even if you wanted to.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am

I was going to say. A limiting factor in the development of many musical styles was technology. Or at least, "technology." Technology sometimes meaning a gradual, universal understanding of what sounds were possible. All musicians steal from each other. Metal traces back through rock and roll and that goes through the blues, which has its genesis in tribal chanting shit mixed with gospel and hymns. Early distortion effects were achieved by literally cranking the volume up so high that the sound started to fuck up. I'm pretty sure that's what Cream did. You can achieve the same sound the same way today if you don't value your ears.

Even more recently, digital music allowed for the creation of wubstep trash and autotuners have allowed Lady Gaga to make a living. To the great disappointment of us all.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome