MonHun

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: MonHun

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Males get way more armor sets that make you look like a dope-ass Super Robot (see Blademaster Seltas).
Though I'm thinking of making a waifu whenever I feel like being a Gunner, since then I'd have to craft new armor sets anyways.
rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:14 am
Yeah, negative affinity sucks balls. I like the tigrex armor and weapons, but those have negative affinity too (weapons anyway.)
This also reminds me that I was mistaken when I said my current Swaxe is a Tigrex one. It's actually the Seregios one. Slightly better Sharpness, much better Affinity, and a Power instead of an Exhaust Phial.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:37 pm

The Tigrex HBG is funny, though. Instead of shit affinity they get massive deviation to the right. That's something you can deal with and you get high raw damage in turn.
I'm currently getting my ass handed to me by angry pickle. Already carted twice.

Edit: Gottem! Got one claw to upgrade a charm. I chose defence because I clearly needed help in that regard.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 am

Initial thoughts on Charge Blade.
It's not quite as complicated as it sounds but I needed a couple of hunts to get the basic moveset down.
Seemingly, Brave, Adept and Aerial are all heavily used. Guild and Striker are fine with Striker not really losing much but because the hunter arts for the CB are pretty lacklustre there's next to no benefit to be able to select more.

So far I've used Brave against Arzuros, Volvidon, Tigrex and Uragaan. The first three were going pretty well.
Uragaan was a pain in the ass. He moves around too much. You can't get red shield in Brave. Instead, you get unlimited blue shield when you're in brave mode. That was fine for the other monsters but Uragaan makes getting close to even get to brave mode difficult. When I finally got in it it was easier to get close thanks to the enhanced block but most of the time I would try and run after him and struggle to land meaningful hits.

Just tried out Adept against a Yian Kut-Ku. That went crazy well! 6 minutes including finding it, it zoning once and me getting accidentally zoned by the forward step of the charged slash.
Granted, my CB may be a good bit OP for a regular H-Rank Kut-Ku but considering it was first try it went super well.

The benefit is that I wasn't as limited as you are with Brave outside of activated brave mode. It's also easier to understand.
In sword and shield you get an insta-block. A does an immediate charge slash, X does a quick shield charge into elemental round slash.
So after block, press A without phials, X with phials to get red shield. Additionally, the regular charge slash has a long-lasting guard point, making it safer to use.
In axe mode you get the adept evade. It has a run after it like GS, which you can either end with a mighty overhead chop with X or an elemental 2 attack with A.
Very easy to comprehend and you don't have to charge any bar to use it. I'll try it out against some more difficult monster next.

So far I'm having a lot of fun. Only Uragaan frustrated me. I have a feeling that Adept would be a better choice against him. I'll also try out Aerial and Guild later today.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:34 am

Chargeblade is fun. I use it but not as much as switch axe. But I mostly use charge blade in games that don't have the styles, and I haven't experimented with styles much anyway. I've been using largely Guild style in Gen. Might do air hammer next time I go back. My main thing with the styles is to have the dodge move with the ridiculous i-frames and that other move that gives you passive HP area regen. Both really OP with the weapons I use (Hammer, Longsword, Switch Axe, IG, other shit that can't block.)

If you have an autoblock talisman, they work really well with charge blade (though it sounds like one of the styles does that anyway).
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:49 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:34 am
If you have an autoblock talisman, they work really well with charge blade (though it sounds like one of the styles does that anyway).
Nope, nothing blocks automatically for you with the styles. As a lance main using an autoblock charm is haram and a badge of shame.

I avoided CB in 4U because it was overpowered. Not quite as ridiculous as IG but still.
Getting a lance strength block in red shield helps me a lot learning it as I already know what I can block and how well it's going to go.

Aerial Hammer got a nice buff in GenU. Not exactly easy to use but certainly an option for difficult to clobber monsters like Deviljho I'd imagine. I'm well too bad with hammer to make a qualified judgement. I also never really played switch axe. A bit in World but it's easy mode in that game.

That's a good topic. What weapons have you either never used, only used a bit and not gotten along with or haven't really used much but would like to get into?
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:53 am

There are two new kinds of cats in MHGU and I didn't realize until yesterday. Lots of new abilities to unlock from hunts so my current shopping list is Gravios, Basarios, Barroth, Zinogre and Glavenus. Already knocked off Bulldrome and Duramboros just now. Duramboros was easy mode with the CB.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 am

I've been using Greatsword a lot in 4U. I have a very on-again, off-again relationship with the GS. I kind of hate the whole unsheathing/resheathing gimmick. You have to constantly be pressing the sheath button or your movement is trash. And you have to know when to put away your sword and when it's safe to go in. I don't charge the greatsword either. Might be haram to some, but I play the GS in the "infinite swings" method. I learned it in 2nd gen and that's what I prefer. Less burst damage but way more consistent and you're able to react to sudden changes without losing massive charge damage. I assume you know how to infinite with GS. There are actually a few ways and you want to sort of use the right one so you can "travel" or stay put while doing damage. Like, if a wyvern is doing the spin2win move (kut ku/gypceros in rage etc,) you can stand directly under it and do the downswing->upswing->downswing infinite and not move. But if the monster is positioning and you want to stay behind it, you can do the downswing->circle swing infinite and keep moving. Very slowly, but you CAN move.

I'm using GS in 4U because I made a really good one. It gives 30 defense and has 5% affinity with high damage and sharpness. Plus fire element. It's the best weapon I have by a country mile, excepting maybe my nerscylla insect glaive.

Greatsword is one of those weapons where I'll use it for a while and then it's amazing, then get sick of how fucking slow it is when you're not abusing sheathing and ragequit to use something else.

I'd like to use chargeblade a little more than I do, honestly. I can only use it in a very basic way compared to the weapons that were in 2nd Gen. I don't like dual swords at all. Sword and shield is ok but kinda boring. Heavy bow gun would be fun if I used guns, which I don't. Light bowgun is cheese incarnate. Hunting Horn and Hammer are my mains. Hammer always my waifu. HH more when it's really strong or I have a good one. Insect Glaive kinda busted. Longsword is my main for when hammer is a bad choice (before styles made it so you could hit flying wyverns and shit.)

I guess I'd like to try Lance sometime. I tried it in 2nd but wasn't big on it. No target cam back then.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 am

Ah, combo GS. Didn't second gen already have charge? I know first didn't.
I like the GS but I am pretty terrible with it. I'll spend a bit more time with it bit by bit and maybe eventually become semi-competent with it.
Long Sword was my first main weapon in 3U for about half the time I've played it. I want to get back into it eventually but I got really tired of the constant spirit upkeep and with some monsters really struggling to get spirit 3 to hit.
I've mained Lance in 4U, but really only because GL is pretty underpowered in it. I can Lance fairly well, both evasion and block but I vastly prefer GL.
I've also played hammer for a while in 3U and 4U but ultimately it isn't for me. I like the idea of HH better than I like playing it. I'll likely never get into it.
SnS is good in most games and downright broken in Gen. I can't be arsed to get into it, though.
SA is something I want to try more. Maybe I'll eventually get the hang of it. It's actually a fairly simple weapon, I guess.
IG is effective but there again the constant upkeep kind of annoys me.

Now the three that I absolutely don't care for at all are Dual Blades, Bow and LBG.
Bow just annoys me somehow. LBG might be good for support status gunners or whatever. I am not happy with how little damage it deals. HBG is a fair bit slower but actually wrecks shit, causes frequent flinches and breaks parts easily. LBG just feels like I'm doing absolutely nothing.
DB I have never even tried. Not once. It's the only weapon I never tried and maybe never will.

Knocked Basarios of my shopping list. Found a H-Rank mushroom collecting quest with a Basarios as sub quest. So I also checked off another quest at the same time.
Went in with Adept style. Gravios armour with the Seltas CB. It's a water elemental vial so it was perfect for the Basarios.
I didn't even do well and still that Basarios got absolutely destroyed!
Adept was a great choice. The ability to charge red shield whenever I want to worked great. Very little blue sharpness wasn't ideal but adept evade into elemental 2 took care of that real good as elemental 2 can't bounce.

I'll now go for the adult version and hunt a Gravios. That'll be the real test.
I'll also look into crafting a couple more CBs soon since I really like it. Maybe a Glavenus one, since I'll have to fight him anyway. Or a Zinogre one? I'll decide later.

Edit: Gravios was rough. His hitboxes arrive a bit earlier than I anticipated for the first half of the fight. The low sharpness was worse until I broke his legs and belly. That said, the water elemental vials hit him like barrel bombs. When I got some good beatdown going on his shell broke and he flinched and stumbled all over the place.
I'll go hunt a Basarios again but with this awesome thing:
SpoilerShow
White sharpness, bruh! :lol:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:00 am

That went worse. Lessons learned: Basarios' back needs purple sharpness to not bounce. Water elemental phials do better than impact.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 am
Ah, combo GS. Didn't second gen already have charge? I know first didn't.
I like the GS but I am pretty terrible with it. I'll spend a bit more time with it bit by bit and maybe eventually become semi-competent with it.
Long Sword was my first main weapon in 3U for about half the time I've played it. I want to get back into it eventually but I got really tired of the constant spirit upkeep and with some monsters really struggling to get spirit 3 to hit.
I've mained Lance in 4U, but really only because GL is pretty underpowered in it. I can Lance fairly well, both evasion and block but I vastly prefer GL.
I've also played hammer for a while in 3U and 4U but ultimately it isn't for me. I like the idea of HH better than I like playing it. I'll likely never get into it.
SnS is good in most games and downright broken in Gen. I can't be arsed to get into it, though.
SA is something I want to try more. Maybe I'll eventually get the hang of it. It's actually a fairly simple weapon, I guess.
IG is effective but there again the constant upkeep kind of annoys me.
Switch Axe is very simple. The axe part is for when you either have no meter or you need some decent speed. The axe form is about as fast as the Longsword, which isn't bad. The heavy sword form is where you get most of your damage. What I usually do is use the axe until the monster goes into an animation where I know I have time to switch and get some hits. That's really all there is to the weapon. You can do this charge move thing but it's not necessary and it spends all your meter.

Greatsword had charge in 2nd Gen. I still think of GS and Longsword as the two yardsticks to measure all weapons against. GS is sort of the gold standard heavy weapon. High vertical and wide horizontal swings make it easy to hit monsters and it deals both high slash and crush damage. But again, you have to holster and unholster your weapon all the time and at the right times, otherwise you're slow as fuck. You can't just sit there blocking either, or your blade will lose its sharpness and you'll waste time polishing it back up. But when you do play Greatsword well, you feel about as fast as a Longsword user (because of holstering) and deal WAY more damage and stun with no upkeep.

Insect Glaive I don't find that hard to upkeep. Longsword takes more focus for reasons you said. It can be really hard to stop your gauge draining to nothing when a monster trolls you by flying around or running from one side of the map to another over and over and FUCKING OVER, like the high rank cephadrome I just hunted. So much fun. When he wasn't under the sand, he was across the map. Insect Glaive gets a lot of damage out of the red buff, but the others aren't needed. I don't even remember what yellow and white auras do and it doesn't matter. Red is the one that gives you big UNGA damage and changes your moveset. Green gives you healing, which sounds good but is actually shit. It's not enough healing to justify sending out the kinsect. Mostly I just spaz out when I'm using insect glaive. I spam all the infinite combos and send the kinsect out when I have a spare moment to see if I can get a Red buff. Red buff insect glaive absolutely shreds Gore Magala. Longsword I just like because I like it. It's more work but it's fun. *teleports behind khezu, cuts its penis head off, nothing personnel kid*

Seems like folks either love or hate the dual swords. My sister plays monhun and she likes light weapons like dual swords and sword and shield. I remember seeing some youtube monhun channel where he primarily uses dualswords. That gameplay just looks lame to me though.
RAPEMAN wrote: