Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Capeshit thread (comics and movies)

Post by Moe Bitches » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Oh shit it's the ghost of Orson Welles!
It's even better when your dead!
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Enjoying his French ghost wine, I hope.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Known for its ce
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Woody Allen.

I like some of his movies a lot. Others, not so much. He's made a movie almost every year since 1969. They're not all winners, but Allen's freedom has always fascinated to me. He's been unusually blessed, as a filmmaker. He's never had to struggle to get anything made. The moment he's finished with a script, some film company or another is dying to make it and he can get almost any big star that he wants (well, until he got cancelled a few years ago, at least). Year after year after year.

Part of this is because his films never require big budgets (it's all just couples cheating on each other in New York City or Paris or London). Part of this is because he's directed more Best Actress Oscar nominees than any other director ever. Part of this is some intangible air of prestige around his work. As well as a consistent voice. Allen's a comfortable old pair of shoes.

As for the controversy around him, he didn't fuck his adopted daughter; he fucked the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow, a woman he'd been involved with for about ten years. They never married and never lived together, but they had children together and were, to all of the world, a de facto married couple. Meanwhile, Ms. Farrow had a penchant for adopting kids from third world countries and Allen fell in love with one of them. A Korean girl named Soon-Yi. She was of legal age when Mia Farrow discovered that Allen was fucking her, but Allen clearly knew Soon-Yi when she was a mere child.

The whole story is creepy, yes, but when it broke in 1992, that wasn't enough to destroy a career. (Also, Allen eventually married Soon-Yi and is still married to her.)

What haunts Allen to this day is that Mia Farrow, in her state of rage back then, accused him of molesting their infant daughter, Dylan. In 1992, Allen blew that off and so did the press and the courts. For a long time, that was a non-issue, forgotten even. About twenty years later though, it popped up again when journalist Ronan Farrow ("officially" Woody and Mia's child, though he looks exactly like a young Frank Sinatra, with whom Mia was also involved with on up into the 80s; draw your own conclusions there) wrote about it.

The story came back with a vengeance while #meagain was hot and next thing you know, Allen became the next sacrificial lamb.

Me, I don't buy the molestation story at all. I think it was the made-up tale of a very angry woman who, over the years, believes it's true and has convinced her kids that it's true.

Powerful sexual predators (and a major film director is a powerful person) never have just ONE story of abuse. Harvey Weinstein. Bill Cosby. These guys always have fifty-eight women accusing them of shit.

Allen has been famous since the 1960s. If he truly was a dangerous pedophile, I think we'd have a lot more stories about him.

But all we have is just this one. From a rich actress who has all the time the world to ruin a guy.

And that's my defense of Woody Allen. In DHI's capeshit thread.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Dude sucked balls. All his movies after Mia were about cheating spouses and he refused to mix his movies in anything but mono until the 2000s.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:20 pm
Me, I don't buy the molestation story at all. I think it was the made-up tale of a very angry woman who, over the years, believes it's true and has convinced her kids that it's true.
Not ALL the kids. Moses Farrow denies the molestation happened.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:15 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:59 pm
Dude sucked balls. All his movies after Mia were about cheating spouses and he refused to mix his movies in anything but mono until the 2000s.
Two of my favorite Woody Allen films are from the post-Mia time. I love "Deconstructing Harry". It might be his darkest comedy. And I think that "Bullets Over Broadway" is great. It's one of those movies that he doesn't appear in.

Of course, some of Allen's worst films were post-Mia, as well. Woody in the 2000s pretty much sucked all around. He worked with a lot of young, "hot" actors and it's always cringey when he tries to write for young people. They talk like an 80 year man's idea of how young people talk.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:27 pm
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:20 pm
Not ALL the kids. Moses Farrow denies the molestation happened.
Totally forgot about Moses.

Respec' to Moses.

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:06 am

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:15 pm

Of course, some of Allen's worst films were post-Mia, as well. Woody in the 2000s pretty much sucked all around. He worked with a lot of young, "hot" actors and it's always cringey when he tries to write for young people. They talk like an 80 year man's idea of how young people talk.
Always found Allen's post-1980 films to be masturbatory. The last one I watched was the one where he tried to be a safecracker because it was funny for the wrong reasons.
Now that he's fucked off to Spain, they can deal with him. Most actors just want him listed once on his resume and then never talk about him again.

The only good thing he did was repeatedly tell the Academy to go fuck itself, and that's probably because it never fluffed him properly.
Last edited by Tony Schiavone on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:16 am

Woody Allen is the human equivalent of a Netflix movie.