Nintentard's thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Nintentard's thread

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 23, 2020 8:55 am

I really loved 3U as well. I never understood all the hate it got, which was mostly from the underwater combat. But overall it's a great MonHun. I enjoyed it better than 4U. Much of that has to do with the GL being shit garbage in 4U.
GenU is my favourite MonHun so far. The combat system strikes the perfect balance of complicated and engaging. Brave style with the GL is just plain the most fun I've ever had.
That said, 3U is the more coherent game. I prefer palicos, because cats, but expeditions were a lot of fun. Give one of your lads a grill helmet and go into it with absolutely no items. You can find and craft everything you need and get a neat survivalist experience.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am

3U just has this whole world. You know how people say they like monster hunter because it feels like a living, breathing place where the monsters are part of the ecosystem? 3U, nigga! Palicoes are better than the shakalaka, true, but don't forget that Neko (means cat) and a lot of other funny felynes came from 3U.

I hated using the fucking wycoon in 4U, too. She never has the items I want in stock and her stock is pitifully small. Between the shops, the Argosy, the farms, the ships, expeditions AND underwater-exclusive items, you never run into that problem in 3U. If I need something, I know it's out there somewhere and I can get it. I always have way too many resources/points in 4U because there's nothing good to buy with them, but resources are actually worth having in 3U.

As much praise as the mounting system gets, 4U really deserves a nice, long rant video about how shitty it is to constantly have to climb vines to progress anywhere in a level. It's slow and fucking boring. I don't want my camera to be focused on a blurry pixelated blob that's meant to be a vine clump, while I watch my character slowly hump their way vertically towards that Rathalos that will fly away in 10 seconds... Making me repeat the process. Je suis monte indeed.

Gen/Gen U the best monhun ever in terms of gameplay. Not nearly as dumbed-down as World but not as painful as 2nd gen with the hip checks and other unfair bullshit. That said, it lacks in the cohesive world because your character is some random fuck with no connection to anything, and none of the towns really have stories or characters (outside of cameos meant to trigger your memberberries.) If 3U had palicoes it would be the best ever for sure. As it is, I'm still conflicted on whether 3rd or 2nd gen is the true best. But 3U is the best of the 3ds games and I've played all of then at this point. I'll play Gen U when I have a switch.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am

Now that reminds me that I still have 3U lying around...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 23, 2020 9:43 am

3U is the reason I didn't consider buying the WiiU a complete mistake. Otherwise there would only have been Smash. But that way I could play 3U on the 3DS on the go and continue at home on the TV screen. The Switch really just makes that process easier and more seamless without the need to transfer save files.

Gen was good but GenU is honestly much better. It's shocking how different it is, in fact. The pace of the missions is MUCH faster. Gathering missions are almost completely absent and they throw the big monsters at you right away. It's got so many monsters and variants they really have to do that.
Gen feels like a nice compilation game. GenU feels like it's stuffed to the brim with everything they could possibly cram in. You'll have a much better time.

The main criticism I hear from people is that several styles are shit for several weapons. That's completely true. But you've always got guild style and there's usually at least one or two of the other styles for each weapon that are either great or just plain fun.
I've got no idea what Capcom has in store for the next mainline MonHun. I did like World. It's okay. It is massively lacking in content, though. But I got GenU because I wanted to have something portable, despite having played Gen before, and it blew me away with how much better it is than Gen and how it absolutely beats the shit out of World. World feels like a demo in comparison.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 pm

World is alright. It's the smoothest and most convenient monhun game, but that convenience comes at a cost of depth. In the older games, I would go up against a monster I had never fought before and feel that I might not be able to win. I'd cart twice through stupidity or the monster's high damage and wonder if that was it for me. Because the thing about old monhun is you HAVE to commit. I mostly use hammer and longsword. With either one, I'll often decide to just go for it. I've got a small gap and I figure I'll start swinging and not stop until the monster makes me. You can't win if you don't do damage and you can't always do damage 100% safely.

Monster Hunter World isn't like that. You can do damage completely safely. You can stun safely. You can basically fight anything and win with no trouble. Monsters can't run away because you can just track them. You have so many gadgets and the slingshot is op as fuck. You can grab random shit off the ground and stunlock the boss with it. If you want to gather shit, you can do it infinitely with no trade-off. At least Gen makes you switch to Prowler if you want infinite gathering. Which is great since Prowler is super fun.

World:

-has no styles
-has no prowlers
-is too easy
-doesn't require as much crafting
-has too many op items like the camo and slingshot
-will never give you that "oh shit" feeling, where you come up against a monster so powerful you wonder if your progress has stalled
-has a boring hub
-lacks a lot of personality
-doesn't have nearly enough kwality khantent compared to the "ultimate" releases
-has too few monsters
-has no exclusive new weapon types (something to recommend it over 4th generation or Gen U)

I love world because it introduced the world to monster hunter, like the name says. And it's not total shit. But it feels like Monster Hunter Casuals. The hubs are boring too.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm

My biggest issues with it is that there are WAY too few monsters and that difficulty wise it doesn't even have a high rank, let alone G-rank. But mostly just way too few monsters. I can't stress that enough as that makes for very low variety.
Also not enough places either.
A very close second is that while in general the fighting style for GL is pretty good, wyvern stake is not worth it DPS wise.
Now I don't play MonHun competitively or something. But when something that requires a lot of setup and monster knowledge just doesn't pay off most of the time it's disappointing. The novelty of World wore off relatively quickly and I haven't even considered getting the DLC.

As for most of the other stuff I don't mind. It's no great loss that I don't have to make a bomb capsule from a stone and a sap plant first. Crafting just skips some steps. I never used the slingshot either.
Honestly, if the rest of the game was fantastic, nobody would complain too much about the streamlining. But as it is the novelty wears off and you get bored quickly.

Man, I think I need to get back to hunting some monsters this evening. In GenU of course.

Edit: Just went on a quick hunt for a Tetsucabra to warm up. Man, I'm rusty but the muscle memory is still intact.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 am

Tetsu is one of those hammer all day long monsters for me. He's so much easier when you can stunlock the shit out of him with hammers to his jaws. But I assume you're a lance/gunlance main based on what you've said. Longsword is baller for Rathian.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 am

I mainly mained lance in 4U, and I found it to work well enough on Tetsu. He's certainly not as tanky as Gravios.
And speaking of 4U monsters: Is Nerscylla back in GenU? I was a bit miffed when that one rad spider monster they had didn't show up again in Gen.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun May 24, 2020 7:48 am

Gunlance all day every day, bruh. Started out with Longsword, though. Mained Lance in 4U because GL was underpowered, mained HBG in Gen for fun. But I always have had a viable GL build.
The only weapons I truly don't care for are SNS, DS and LBG. I've at least dabbled a bit in the others and taken them for a spin for a few hunts in gathering missions/expeditions with possible large monster threats and such.

Tetsu is nice and easy. All non-special smaller beast type monsters are. They make for a great warm up to get back into the groove.
Not to sperg about brave style GL again too much but it's so great, man! Basic flowchart for me is currently:
SpoilerShow
Before Brave Mode:
- Brave Stance
- Hold to dodge attacks, attack for special upswing or shell for special shot
- All three actions build bar quickly
Brave Mode activates:
- Use rapid shelling to build up heat
- Single reload now reloads entire mag
- Use the perfect block at the beginning of single reload to stay safe
- At max heat, look for opportunity to use Anti-Air fire technique
- It hits hard and automatically fires a wyvernfire very quickly afterwards if available
- Heat is now locked at max
- Go nuts with max heat damage pokes and powerful brave shelling
It's just so beast! You set yourself up for locked max heat and get to enjoy high damage lance attacks and unlimited, fast reload, powerful shelling. Brave stance dodge helps massively with mobility. The perfect block of the single swing reload conserves stamina and helps you attack sooner. It's like a 3rd Strike parry.
It's also a style that works great with all shell type lances because of quick full magazine reloads and rapid shelling in which each successive shot becomes stronger.
The upswing out of brave mode also reloads and leads directly into the overhead smash and full burst, perfect for normal type GL.

When you get GenU, make sure to go to downloads in the menu and grab all the free DLC. The item DLCs load you fully up on fuckloads of honey and silver eggs and such. No need for lots of low level gathering. You are combat ready ASAP and don't have to worry about zenny.
The missions fill up all but 1 Star quests with loads of large monster hunts, often dual hunts. Get right into the action.
The pacing is ridiculously improved. The best ever in the series.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 am
I mainly mained lance in 4U, and I found it to work well enough on Tetsu. He's certainly not as tanky as Gravios.
And speaking of 4U monsters: Is Nerscylla back in GenU? I was a bit miffed when that one rad spider monster they had didn't show up again in Gen.
https://monsterhunter.fandom.com/wiki/MHGU:_Monsters
Yes! Look at that monster list, bro. It's easier to answer who isn't in the game.

SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 am

I know about the dlc bruh. Gen is the same way. It was so nice to download 300 honey and potions early. Max potions or whatever they're called are my required item for every hunt. The amount of health you lose unavoidably to attrition (monster steps on you, monster whips you with its tail incidentally while doing something else, you fight in an enclosed area for a while and get trapped etc) make it a requirement. The silver/steel/gold eggs feel like cheating tbh. I sold them shits and then didn't need money ever again. : DDD

I feel like it's about time for monhun to give us a new weapon. 3rd gen introduced one and 4th gen introduced two IIRC. Or maybe charge blade was right after 3rd gen but before 4th? I dunno. Point is, World didn't introduce a new weapon and Gen didn't. But I don't expect Generations to add new weapons when it's a compilation game. Still, that's 4U, World AND Generations U. Hundreds of hours of hunting with the exact same weapon lineup. Sure sure, some people only want to use 2-3 weapons ever, but I think everyone dabbles a bit. Hammer is my main along with Longsword, but I really enjoy Insect Glaive, Switch Axe, Charge Blade and Hunting Horn.

If they add a new weapon, it should probably be something fast and light. Something like an Ivy whip sword or some sheeit. People who enjoy fast weapons don't have that many options currently. Only Insect Glaive, Sword and Shield and Dual Swords are proper "fast" in my opinion. Some kind of fist weapon would be neat too.
RAPEMAN wrote: