Pumping iron

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Pumping iron

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 am

The most least bullshit source of getting stronger out there. Endorsed by strongmen world wide. Very well worth looking into. Don't take my word for it, check it out.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:31 am

Moe Bitches wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 am
So it something I've been doing lately, but I have to ask, is it a good idea to drink protein before bed? I'm taking advantage of the fact that I have a home gym with a treadmill and some weights along with a punching bag.
Eating wise I've been having tons of meat like beef jerky, steak, burgers and other foods like eggs, peanut butter, some plant protein, sardines, salmon, etc. Last time I checked I weighed between 172 and 179.
>protein when

I got curious because it's always been a controversial subject with no conclusive anything at all, but maybe there is new emerging evidence now. HYPE
https://examine.com/nutrition/second-look-at-protein-quantity-after-exercise/ wrote: Q. Is it important to ingest protein immediately after training?
Ingesting protein right after training may or may not be absolutely necessary, but it can’t hurt.
Basically what Kugel said. Maybe it works if you snort it before bed, maybe or maybe not. Protein is still full of mysteries.

>punching bag

Do you have some combat sports experience or are you just randomly punching like a kangaroo for 100% pure recreational purposes? I'd argue punching/kicking anything is objectively better exercise than boring as fuck jogging but if you're a kangaroo you can develop bad habits.

>peanut

It's okay if you're just snacking but peanut is kinda shit nutrition source because of relatively high anti-nutrient contents. If you're trying to increase the caloric intake, stick to starchy carb OR quality fat (but NOT both because human body acts weird when you mix high fat and high carb, you have to pick one).

>plant protein

I'd rather avoid them unless it's non-GMO fermented ones like natto/tempe in moderation. Plant protein has always some questionable shit attached to it, things like phyto-estrogen , oxalate or herbicides/pesticides/whatever-cide. Also, they are unnecessary if you are eating enough meat/fish/egg anyway.

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:28 am

Kicking and punching is all in the mind whenever I took karate for half of my life, but that's not really going to do jack shit in a real fight. But I thought it was needed hours before you exercise.

The plant protein was something that I was skeptical about. It said you needed to mix it with water and let it sit for thirty minutes, but in the end it tasted like shit. I tried it with milk and it tasted better.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:27 pm

Moe Bitches wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:28 am
Kicking and punching is all in the mind whenever I took karate for half of my life, but that's not really going to do jack shit in a real fight. But I thought it was needed hours before you exercise.

The plant protein was something that I was skeptical about. It said you needed to mix it with water and let it sit for thirty minutes, but in the end it tasted like shit. I tried it with milk and it tasted better.
Plant based anything is tricky generally speaking. People tend have this idea of vegetables being "healthy" but the science behind it is actually kinda weak, even New Soy Times mentioned that even though they generally push soyboy diet (while bitching on how cow is bad for climate ofc). tl;dr studies on clean non-processed meat heavy diet is lacking, also the methods of studies themselves are often problematic

Highly processed / refined plant food is quite new in human history we don't if they are actually good or not. Even something common like table sugar can do some wacky stuff like changing brain chemistry, I would be careful around those things if I were you.

>Kara-teh

Traditional or full contact? Have you ever met Grand Master JacksonJin?

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:49 pm

Vegetables are good for you. Weird plant pulp with five dozen additives you need a degree in chemistry for to pronounce most likely isn't. But as always a well balanced diet is best.
Food is also important for the soul. A nice mixed salad with some cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, some olive oil and balsamico di modena. Followed half an hour later with a nice steak and some green beans wrapped in bundles with a small strip of bacon and pan fried. If that's not good for you then life isn't worth living.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:45 am

>Vegetables are good for you.

That's just not true, it's more like "some vegetables are harmless but some are pretty bad". Some vegetables are straight up bad, really.
For example lots of people believe spinach is healthy and nutrient rich, but that shit is also rich in oxalate. Oxalate binds to minerals and the end product (some form of oxalate salt) goes through your gut and pop out as shit. Mineral mal-absorption ladies and gentlemen.
You can reduce the oxalate content by boiling/steaming, but the problem is other nutrients goes away or gets destroyed too, what remains is mostly fiber. What's the point of eating just fiber? (A: we don't know) Not to mention high amount of oxalate can causes other issues like joint pain or kidney stones.

I still eat plant but I abandoned "vegetables is healthy" mindset some time ago. Just think about how many plants in plant species are edible for human, compared to how many animal species are. It's just humanity has hand selected, modified and processed plants to be edible/harmless. We shouldn't forget plants are toxic by nature (except for fruits) just try eating raw kidney beans if REALLY think vegetables are good. (don't, lol)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:27 am

Inverse veganism is just as stupid as veganism.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:53 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:45 am
I still eat plant but I abandoned "vegetables is healthy" mindset some time ago. Just think about how many plants in plant species are edible for human, compared to how many animal species are.
Those numbers are much closer together than you think.
AdorableOtter wrote:
It's just humanity has hand selected, modified and processed plants to be edible/harmless.
Just like we do with animals. We also test meat for a wide array of wonderful diseases and worms before we rate it safe for consumption. Failing to do so gets us shit like the current China Flu.
AdorableOtter wrote:
We shouldn't forget plants are toxic by nature (except for fruits) just try eating raw kidney beans if REALLY think vegetables are good. (don't, lol)
Some are toxic. We tend to not eat those. Out species isn't exactly made to eat anything raw. Eating a wild animal raw is a fantastic way to kill yourself.
Really, all you're saying applies to meat just as well. Eating too much spinach can cause mineral deficiency, too much fish can give you mercury poisoning. Eating raw beans is a bad idea, so is eating raw poultry. The edible plants we call vegetables are hand-selected and cultivated, so are all your meat products.
Too much of anything is always bad and outright avoiding either meat or vegetables is plain stupid because you don't take advantage of easy sources of vitamins or proteins. And as for fibre it helps you take a comfortable shit, which has been known for ages and is a big part of life quality.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:49 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:53 pm
Those numbers are much closer together than you think.
Then let's talk about the ratio. What about the chance you randomly pick up a plant and it's edible (or may be I should say digestible), compared to the chance with meat you cut off from someone/something you randomly killed.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Just like we do with animals. We also test meat for a wide array of wonderful diseases and worms before we rate it safe for consumption. Failing to do so gets us shit like the current China Flu.
That's kinda true but Chink flu is not a good example imo, you don't need to eat meat to contract the virus. Better and MUCH scarier example would be somethings like mad cow disease but the most common problems with meat are parasites or much less hardcore diseases, both of them can be treated with heat, you don't really need to test it most of the time even though shit happens.

Plant toxins are way more common and robust. I brought up oxalate because it one of those indestructible ones and we really don't know how much is too much.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Out species isn't exactly made to eat anything raw. Eating a wild animal raw is a fantastic way to kill yourself.
Fruits are totally edible raw. In fact the most safe and digestible food from biological standpoint is probably fruits, but the problem is fruits are pretty lacking in nutrition. You can survive on fruits but the quality of life have to suffer a lot.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Really, all you're saying applies to meat just as well. Eating too much spinach can cause mineral deficiency, too much fish can give you mercury poisoning. Eating raw beans is a bad idea, so is eating raw poultry. The edible plants we call vegetables are hand-selected and cultivated, so are all your meat products.
It's a bit of a nitpick but as long as you stick to less contaminated ones, eating too much fish just make you fat. On the other hand eating too much spinach (even organic pesticide free ones) can straight up kill you because of natually occuring oxalates (or hardly give you any nutrient if you detoxify it). Similar incident actually happened in WWI with ruberb.
In both scenarios dosage does matter yes, but would you rather become fat or die?

Also, most people don't know in the first place things like spinach, green smoothie and many other common plant foods are toxic, and that's the major issue I was talking about even though I wasn't clear enough. Hand select process and public education isn't done enough with plant foods. You didn't know spinach can kill you and it's a quite good example imo. I didn't know either.

Food industries very very well know "vegetable anything" has a positive nuance to it, and they are taking full advantage of it and governments hardly say/do anything because science can't catch up that fast. What do you imagine when you hear the word "vegetable oil?" It's healthy because if vegetable and free from transfat or cholesterol ?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Too much of anything is always bad and outright avoiding either meat or vegetables is plain stupid because you don't take advantage of easy sources of vitamins or proteins. And as for fibre it helps you take a comfortable shit, which has been known for ages and is a big part of life quality.
>vitamin

Animal products contain vitamins too. Only rather lacking (but not completely missing) nutrient in meat is Vitamin C.
There is a theory (but not good study, yet) about how carbs and V.C compete each other hence V.C problem goes away if you remove the carbs. But there isn't enough science about it and that's actually why I still eat plants not just for taste/textures. Probably completely dropping plant maybe stupid, probably possibly not that stupid maybe?

>fiber

What's interesting about fiber is completely removing them also make you shit, in fact removing fiber is pretty effective way to treat chronic constipation patients (one of the convincing explanation is, fat metabolite work better as shit smoother). Researches about fiber is was already a total mess, you can find studies about the assossiation between both increased/decreased risk of cancer and high fiber intake. Fiber is still a mystery shit.
Guest wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:27 am
Inverse veganism is just as stupid as veganism.
And how is that relevant to the subject? I'm talking about food safety and optimal nutrition, not ideological anything. Not to mention the fact I totally eat plants. As if you are as smart as typical guest posters...oh

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:04 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:49 am
It's a bit of a nitpick but as long as you stick to less contaminated ones, eating too much fish just make you fat. On the other hand eating too much spinach (even organic pesticide free ones) can straight up kill you because of natually occuring oxalates (or hardly give you any nutrient if you detoxify it). Similar incident actually happened in WWI with ruberb.
In both scenarios dosage does matter yes, but would you rather become fat or die?
Oh so just don't eat all of these kinds of fish somehow is equal to this one specific kind of vegetable being possibly deadly? Honestly, what are the amounts we're talking about here? The only example is from time of the Great War when people had often no choice on what to eat. Outside of that, who would ever eat enough spinach often enough to run into issues?
Eat too much asparagus and your purine levels skyrocket, leading to arthritis and gout. But how many people would you estimate got gout from asparagus as opposed to years of fast food and being winos?

You're blowing the supposed harm of vegetables way the fuck up. Meanwhile, the equally as benign possible harms of meat aren't a problem. Raw beans are toxic, sure, but you wouldn't eat them raw anyway. Raw chicken is a terrible idea, you wouldn't eat that raw either.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!