Comicsgate: With Great Autism Comes Great Irresponsbility

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Lindsay's Liver

Comicsgate: With Great Autism Comes Great Irresponsbility

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:14 pm

I know that there's a Zack/Richard Meyer thread, but I think Comicsgate in general could use a thread. There's a lot to talk about.

At first, I thought Comicsgate was a great idea. It was a self-sufficient, crowd-funded middle finger to the SJW infestation in mainstream comics. The campaigns made, and still often make, great money straight from the grassroots so clearly it touched a nerve.

But then the DRAMA happened and it took over. Creators who were once friends became enemies. I still don't 100% understand the tangle of loyalties and disloyalties because you have to watch a weekly deluge of 6-hour, late, late night livestreams to get it (Comicsgate are daysleepers, it seems). Also, there are the late books, the botched books, and the books that are clearly just never going to come out despite earning five-figure sums on Indiegogo.

Meanwhile, Comicgate chose a leader and his name is Ethan Van Sciver I don't hate him. He's an entertaining Youtuber, even if he's dependent on complaining about new Star Wars movies and Brie Larson for content and attention. Still, I agree with those who say that Comicsgate is just another word for Ethan and his buddies.

Along the way, Comicsgate became a magnet for fuck-ups. People who felt energized by the movement (and the money) and had never made a comic before, but were inspired to finally do it only to find that they were in over their head. I'd compare them to Ed Wood, but at least he got movies finished and released.

I follow Comicsgate regularly. I found it fascinating to see it rise up and I find it equally fascinting to see it come apart.

DOES IT HAVE A FUTURE? I don't know. But I will be watching.

Fave current Comicsgate drama: The ballad of a man called Cridious. He's been unemployed for five years and along the way he made internet friends with Mr. Van Sciver. He also had an interesting idea for a comic called DETECTIVE DEAD and raised almost $40,000 for it (thanks to EVS's promotion), which he then blew on personal debts and whatnot. Now, he's broke again and the book isn't even FINISHED. Even worse, he bragged about it in what has to be among the most poorly thought-out tweets of the year so far.

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Comicsgate: With Great Autism Comes Great Irresponsbility

Post by Le Redditeur » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:47 pm

It's GamerGate sans MundaneMatt. In other words, a vastly improved GamerGate.

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:04 pm

This should just be the Penders dedicated autism thread too. Move all the last 5 pages over from the Movie Thread :lol:
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:31 pm

EVS likes to spergepost on Twitter and Kiwi with his detractors. If he cared enough he'd become a bitch nigga Larry here in no time.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Le Redditeur wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:47 pm
It's GamerGate sans MundaneMatt. In other words, a vastly improved GamerGate.
Instead they have several Queen of /pol/esmoking-tier idiots instead of just one.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Raging Golden Eagle has done well, he got to
58k in two days:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/blad ... phic-novel#/

Even he has said on his streams that a lot of people have fucked up in Comicsgate with delays and he didn't want to do that. He's shown progress on his channel for months now (feels like 5-6) and I think he said it's mostly done anyway. Half the pages are on the funding page anyway.

That's likely why he has done so well, unlike other randoms mentioned here he has been providing regular updates before he got a cent and it's really just a "kickfinish" rather than a kickstart. That and his stuff isn't simply trying to recreate comics pre-Milkshake crew and is manga inspired but with colour.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:22 am

All this is going to do is attract Ethan and lead to pages of him autistically defending himself.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 am

Guest wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:22 am
All this is going to do is attract Ethan and lead to pages of him autistically defending himself.
That'd be far too entertaining.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:11 am

Poonoo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 pm
That and his stuff isn't simply trying to recreate comics pre-Milkshake crew and is manga inspired but with colour.
Mango is just an inherently better medium. Barring some of the realities of the medium like shitty loisensors or whatever, if I wanted to be a retard and pay for a better alternative to burgerclap comics I could have got an actual book in my hands and not bother with some Kickscammer nonsense.

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:27 am

Guest wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:22 am
If he tries to do it like Guru Larry it will be even funnier.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.