Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Books

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:42 pm
Why would you translate everything else but leave "fuhrer" and "reich" in German? I've never understood why that happens.
Well in addition to what veris said, I'd say because they're official titles and English speakers have used the German 'Fuhrer', 'Reich', 'Sieg Heil', 'Blitzkreig', 'Panzerfaust' etc throughout the war itself and for many years after so there's no real need to translate them
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Except both words literally just translate to "leader" and "empire", respectively. I guess people just love dem some German, which is why everyone and their mother stole "Kindergarten" from us.

But I guess the kewl Krautian can't be too complex, which is why English folks say "Holy Roman Empire" instead of the much more beautiful "Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation".
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:32 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:18 pm
Except both words literally just translate to "leader" and "empire", respectively.
Yes, I know that. My point is that 'Fuhrer' and 'Reich' are official titles. These are usually untranslated, same as how we use 'Tsar' even though it just means 'Emperor' or 'Shogun' even though it just means 'General'. They're probably left that way to clarify that we mean the German leader, as opposed to some other, generic leader
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:18 pm
I guess people just love dem some German, which is why everyone and their mother stole "Kindergarten" from us.
That was mostly Yanks, many of whom are German
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 pm

Yanks don't count.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 pm

Or 'samurai' even though it just means 'warrior'. These are some other examples
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 pm

There's also a bit of cross-autism going on with "tanks" and "panzer" (though the latter fell out of favor after we came up with our own term).
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:33 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 pm
There's also a bit of cross-autism going on with "tanks" and "panzer" (though the latter fell out of favor after we came up with our own term).
You mean the former.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 pm

Curses! Foiled again!
-Yours Truly

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 pm

Barnes and Noble decided to print editions of classic books with KANGZ N SHEIT on the covers:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/02/barne ... celed.html
Barnes & Noble kicked off Black History Month by announcing a new initiative with Penguin Random House to create “a series of covers for twelve American classics that reimagine protagonists as people of color.” The “Diverse Editions” were scheduled to be unveiled at the Fifth Avenue Barnes & Noble in New York—but after a backlash that included accusations of “literary blackface,” not only has the event been canceled, the entire initiative has been suspended.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 pm

That one guest who fucking hates B&N (as you should) must be livid.