Star Dreck

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Star Dreck

Post by Rushy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Guest wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:55 am
The Klingons are an empire but have no emperor. They never really explained that one.
Iirc, the Klingon council eventually usurped the role, but they did set the clone of Kahless up as a figurehead emperor in the later seasons of TNG
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Yeah, Kahless II became emperor during TNG. So they really were an empire in DS9.
Yeah, my favorite TOS Klingons were Kor and Kang. But some of the other ones just seemed like normie dudes, like the ones in The Trouble With Tribbles.

The Romulans were officially the Romulan Star Empire. I don't think we ever saw their emperor (caesar?). They were criminally underused compared to the Klingons in TNG and DS9. I was so pissed that Jar Jar Abrams blew up the Prime canon Romulus in his shitty movie. There so so much more that could have been explored there.
お前はもう死んでいる。

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 am
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:46 am
I'm also really not a fan of characters in Star Trek getting paired off like they do.
While I agree that relationship drama in a show is fucking gay and usually only done to try and draw in women viewers, from a purely logical standpoint I can understand it. We're supposed to buy that the crew of the ship basically live on the ship for an indeterminate period. In a situation like that, where you never get a chance really to meet non-work related people or have much of a life outside of work, there's only a limit to how far professionalism can go. Eventually even the most professional of crewmembers will be thinking 'Well, I can fuck my co-workers, or I can be alone for the rest of my life. Or I can quit my job'.
It's a gas station/motel on the side of the busiest highway in the alpha quadrant. Plenty of people pass through they could fuck with. Hell, Sisko found that cargo-hauling, nagging butterface.

My biggest problem with romance in tv shows is that all the plots involving it are the fucking same and they're ripped straight from daytime tv/soap operas. Doesn't matter what the genre of the show is either. Once they introduce romance, the story becomes about "our relationship" or some old flame, or how the wife is a nagging bitch, or the guy doesn't want to commit, or one of the partners wants kids while the other does not. There's about 5 stories they tell over and over and over and over whenever romance is involved.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm

But it lets you fill screen time without thinking too hard.
Liar Revealed wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:36 pm
Yeah, Kahless II became emperor during TNG. So they really were an empire in DS9.
As much as you can call it an empire if it's still the chancellor who has the real power.
The Romulans were officially the Romulan Star Empire. I don't think we ever saw their emperor (caesar?).
Afaik, they are basically organized like the Roman Republic, with one or more Praetors at the top.

I think sci-fi writers just really love calling stuff an "empire".
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 am
Eventually even the most professional of crewmembers will be thinking 'Well, I can fuck my co-workers, or I can be alone for the rest of my life. Or I can quit my job'.
Or you fuck your favorite waifus in the holodeck.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:55 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 pm
It's a gas station/motel on the side of the busiest highway in the alpha quadrant. Plenty of people pass through they could fuck with. Hell, Sisko found that cargo-hauling, nagging butterface.
You're talking DS9, and that's different. DS9 is basically a town and most people there aren't Starfleet so it should be easy enough to find someone with whom you don't work to be in a relationship with.
If we're talking about a starship like the Enterprise, yeah a lot of them are going to be fucking. It's a lonely job with very little time to go back to Earth or wherever and you're constantly in life-or-death situations which tend to make people want to fuck. Concerns like 'Oh we work together' are going to go out the window pretty quickly
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 pm
There's about 5 stories they tell over and over and over and over whenever romance is involved.
That's because there's only really five stories they can tell when a romance is involved.
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm
Or you fuck your favorite waifus in the holodeck.
Which begs the question: is fucking waifus in the Holodeck anything like the real thing?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:12 pm

Any cyberspace real enough for murdering a dude is real enough for fucking a waifu.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:19 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:55 pm
If we're talking about a starship like the Enterprise, yeah a lot of them are going to be fucking. It's a lonely job with very little time to go back to Earth or wherever and you're constantly in life-or-death situations which tend to make people want to fuck. Concerns like 'Oh we work together' are going to go out the window pretty quickly
Roddenberry had this outdated hippy "free love" vision of the future. Like he told Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis that Riker and Troi fuck each other whenever they feel like it, total no-strings attached sex. The actors thought that was bizarre and chose not to portray the characters like that.

Roddenberry fucked his co-workers/employees constantly and felt that was the norm and the Trek future should reflect that.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Rushy wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm
they did set the clone of Kahless up as a figurehead emperor in the later seasons of TNG
Oh that's right. That episode was so aggressively stupid my brain forgot it in self-defence.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:46 pm

Guest wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:30 pm
Oh that's right. That episode was so aggressively stupid my brain forgot it in self-defence.
My friend was trying to write a script about scientists cloning Jesus. He was so pissed when that aired because it was nearly identical to what he wrote.
お前はもう死んでいる。

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:46 pm
Guest wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:30 pm
My friend was trying to write a script about scientists cloning Jesus. He was so pissed when that aired because it was nearly identical to what he wrote.
They did an Outer Limits episode about that as well.
Is Spoony dead yet?