Guilty pleasures

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Guilty pleasures

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:25 pm

Moe Bitches wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:15 pm
That's unbelievable!
SpoilerShow
Linkara not sucking cock? Unreal.
He tried and the Almighty Thor pushed his head away.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:02 pm

Guest wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:03 pm
I wouldn't ever say I was a music fan. After years of only listening to animu songs and vidya music
But that's all you'll ever need.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 am

veris leta facies wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:36 pm
Progheads are a dying breed, mostly ancient hippies and musicians. I absolutely hated prog like Yes when I was younger, but with age have came to love it. Close to the Edge album is unmitigated brilliance from start to finish.
I wish more people knew more than just the start from the JoJo meme.

I didn't hate prog or anything when I was younger but it's more of a case of wanting something different when you get older since you end up hearing a lot of music by the time you are 30. These long ass songs with weird time signatures and unique song structures are a breath of fresh air even though a lot of prog can still get up it's own ass with the musicians getting self indulgent. At that point it can just get boring.
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:36 pm
I don't know what young music fans are like these days, but when I was a kid and getting into music (mid-1990s for me), prog-rock was considered an embarrassment. Punk was the greatest thing ever and prog was the domain of wankers. Long songs, guitar solos, drum solos, keyboard solos, concept albums. If the Ramones or the Pixies or Nirvana wouldn't do it, it was uncool.
That was a specific problem with Gen X that I have bitched out on here before. Liar Revealed tried to defend his and your generation somewhat but at that time it seemed you hated everything made by boomers no matter what. That Simpsons episode with Homer listening to 70s rock and the kids calling it "Dinosaur music" (the one with Smashing Pumpkins in it I think) captured what was wrong with Gen X.

Millenials, I think due to the internet making musical discovery way easier, are way more open to older bands. Partly because by the time we grew up popular music was disgustingly corporate. It's no coincidence that a lot of bands made comebacks in the 2000s due to young people discovering them on the internet, especially 80s Thrash Metal where a lot of bands that were killed by the labels in the 90s came back to prominence.

There was no good reason for that, hair metal and thrash are totally different things and if anything it would have fit in better but metal in general was discarded in the USA/Anglosphere in the early-mid 90s if you weren't Metallica or Pantera. Thankfully in Europe they had more common sense.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:53 am

My take on the 90s is that the back then there was huge importance placed on some stupid idea of "authenticity". If the music was "raw" and the lyrics were "personal", critics ate it up. After Kurt Cobain ate a bullet, there was a shit-ton of writing about how Nirvana's music told us all along that this was coming. Good music was expected to have some soul-baring quality. Every popular rock band in the US was miserable and suicidal. Or at least pretending to be.

There were a few elder icons. Neil Young was a god among gods. Because he was one of those "bare your soul" guys.

Meanwhile, bands who went on creative flights into fantasy were seen as cornballs who didn't know was rock was "really all about'.

And I bought it into it at the time.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:03 am

It's like the singer-songwriter fad in the early 00s, a reaction to Britney and Xtina and all those fucking boy bands I guess. If you didn't write your own songs the cool kids didn't want to hear it. Enter all those sensitive piano girls and hot garbage like John Mayer and his faggot guitar.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 am

One of the subject of prog rock, one of my favorite Youtube genres (and maybe another guilty pleasure) is "black people react to white classic rock".

And it turns out that when black guys give prog rock a chance, they love it.

Sherman Hemsley wasn't so weird after all! (Hemsley was a TV sitcom star in the 70s from "The Jeffersons" and in his personal life was a devoted fan of prog-rock, even of far out bands like Gong, and hung out with some of the musicians.)

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:39 am

It has always been weird to me that niggers don't usually listen to rock or metal. Blues and Rock'n'Roll were invented by blacks but that's about where their involvement just suddenly ended. Chuck Berry kicked ass and all those other faggots decided that suddenly the absolute AIDS genres of Black Beat, Soul, R'n'B and the softest of House were the way to go.
Just weird.

Not a big Prog fan myself (surprising, no?). But the older Rock stuff can be quite good but also peak boring. Prog Metal however is terrible garbage.

As for friends with a similar music taste a few listen to Metal but none to Death Metal and the two that care for hard Electronica are into Hardstyle, which feels a bit like a non-genre to me. It doesn't have the deep and pulsing bass of Techno, doesn't want to be Hardcore, was never Gabber or Schranz, isn't quite Trance and isn't even as catchy as cheesy Love Parade-era Eurotechno. It's just Jumpstyle that's too slow or too weak to autistically dance jumpstyle to.
Reminds me of Psytrance that's often goofy Techno that can't decide if it wants to be Goa or not.

In case you haven't noticed, if you thought Metal was a convoluted mess of genre classifications you haven't seen Electronica yet.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:11 am

Music is autism.

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:40 am

Everything is Autism.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

JL Unlimited

Post by JL Unlimited » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:39 am
Chuck Berry kicked ass and all those other faggots decided that suddenly the absolute AIDS genres of Black Beat, Soul, R'n'B and the softest of House were the way to go.
Just weird.
R&B was ok, until New Jack Swing started in the 80’s. From then on, everybody had to sing like they’re the next Michael Jackson, from Bobby Brown to Chris Brown.
Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm
You're a bunch of monkeys dancing for shekels. Dance and keep your pie holes shut, monkeys. Your dumbass opinions aren't wanted and aren't valid.