Smash Containment Thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Dingus Bajingus

Re: Smash Containment Thread

Post by Dingus Bajingus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Just fucking around against CPUs and trying shit out, really. I don't play competitively or even seriously. I think I had someone up against a wall and used a couple down tilts to add a bit of damage before wanting to try and pop them up with an up tilt. It never really hit me with the shotos, but it kinda struck me in that moment how pointless it is to have both attack buttons do the exact same thing in... well, in any circumstance. What if I'm playing a shoto, I crouch under a projectile, then I want my side tilt? Fastest way to do that would be to move the stick from down to side, but that's a QCF, and will give me a Hadoken. It don't even think it matters how seldom that comes up, or how good or bad an idea it would be, ect. It's a use case that should be accounted for, and it needlessly limits options, and it would be so easy to avoid. I feel a similar way about Final Smashes at this point; map those to a simultaneous press of both attack buttons. Why should I lose access to my neutral special just because I'm sitting on my super?

EDIT: Buster Wolf also apparently counts as a grab, meaning you can stuff Wonderwing with it, just by the way.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Seriously, put tilts on the C-Stick. Directional aerials completely independent from where your character moves and instant tilts from running by putting the movement stick to neutral or even faster if you just push down. Doesn't matter if you play online or just against bots, you'll quickly learn to love it. No fumbling about getting a Smash instead of a tilt and likewise.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Dingus Bajingus

Post by Dingus Bajingus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:58 pm

That does sound pretty sweet, actually (especially that "Smash instead of tilt" bit), but I've had this sub-optimal muscle memory since fucking Melee. I'll certainly give it a swing, though. I still stand by everything I said, just from a design perspective, however.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm

It wasn't much different in Melee. Except for the single player mode where you couldn't use the C-Stick at all for some reason.
Executing Smash Attacks with direction+A is very easy and you'll get used to it quickly.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Dingus Bajingus

Post by Dingus Bajingus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Yeah, I know. I just mean I've never played it that way, and I've been not playing it that way for almost 20 years. Only thing I've ever done control-scheme wise is turn off tap jumps. I've never even really used the C-Stick much at all, so I do run into that "I wanted a tilt but got a smash" with some frequency. Ultimate lets me change default control style without tying that to a profile, right? I fucking hate how profile names supersede character names on the HUD.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:53 pm

You kinda set it to your name still but unlike 4 you don't have to select your name ever again if you're the only one using it.
Otherwise, you'll get used to the stick real quick. There's also some advanced techniques like if you're in the initial dash animation and you backtilt but immediately jump before the move comes out you'll short hop but backair into the direction you were moving.
Most importantly of all, you can downair without fast falling. Ganon is pretty much not even viable without that.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Dingus Bajingus

Post by Dingus Bajingus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:03 am

Just checked it. There's a "No Name" option that sets the controls for anyone not using one. I'd never even created a name in Ultimate, turns out.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:07 am

You smash babies are always playing with sticks.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 am

I think a lot of you guys' control problems could be solved if the franchise actually used four face buttons like literally everyone else.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:29 pm

It works perfectly fine with the C-Stick handling the tilts. It even allows for some fuckery that wouldn't be possible otherwise like instant turnaround back airs. If you are still in your dash starting animation you can tilt in the other direction and immediately cancel that with a jump. Your character will dash and hop but with the back towards the direction you were dashing in and do a back aerial.
Smash is mechanically as deep as any other fighter, even surpassing many. It is just much easier to pick up and looks very simple.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!