Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rapeculture

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Rapeculture » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:43 pm

Going to check out Last Blood today. I'm sure that by now most of you have seen the tweet by David Morrell (author of the First Blood novel) slamming this movie. Keep in mind though that he also has Trump Derangement Syndrome like the faggot critics who shat on the flick.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:02 pm

Who even remembers that the Rambo series was based on a book?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:02 pm
Crusty old men like me. :lol:
rabidtictac wrote:

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:02 pm
Right? Nobody would even remember who that guy was if it wasn't for Stallone.
I know he's been pissy for decades about the Rambo movies, especially how the final cut of First Blood deviated from his book by having Rambo live at the end.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Cuckara

Post by Cuckara » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 pm

His twitter is weird; right before the film came out, he was basically promoting it: But one day later he flip flopped to hating it: A dick move. He could've waited until after the opening weekend to trash it. It looks like he got spooked by the critical reception and decided to throw the film under the bus ASAP so that he wouldn't get any shit for having been previously supportive of it.

Dehbashi

Post by Dehbashi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Who cares. It's like Stephen King and the Shining. People prefer Kubrick's movie to his crappy book.

And Morrell should be kissing Stallone's ass to keeping him relevant. First Blood took a while to make since nobody wanted to do the movie until Stallone came along.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Rapeculture wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:43 pm
I'm sure that by now most of you have seen the tweet by David Morrell (author of the First Blood novel) slamming this movie.
Perfect. You know what annoyed the faggot the most about the movie series? That it turned from anti-war gay shit into the blueprint of an uncritical "'murrica fuck yeah! Let's shoot dozens of foreign people!" series.
That's exactly what I like about it. Fuck outta here with your >muh 'nam war is bad mkay shit, nigger! I want to see juiced up Stallone mow down commie fucks by the truckload with zero introspection and remorse! :lol:
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:39 pm
Rapeculture wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:43 pm
I'm sure that by now most of you have seen the tweet by David Morrell (author of the First Blood novel) slamming this movie.
Perfect. You know what annoyed the faggot the most about the movie series? That it turned from anti-war gay shit into the blueprint of an uncritical "'murrica fuck yeah! Let's shoot dozens of foreign people!" series.
That's exactly what I like about it. Fuck outta here with your >muh 'nam war is bad mkay shit, nigger! I want to see juiced up Stallone mow down commie fucks by the truckload with zero introspection and remorse! :lol:
War is obviously always going to exist, no matter if people like it or not. That's why, to me, the Rambo sequels come from a more honest place than some people are willing to admit. It goes full tilt into the other direction as compared to the novel and first movie.

So, Last Blood. I liked it. The plot is okay. Very similar to Taken, as some people have noted. But it's just very much an excuse for Stallone to murder people in horrifying ways. As I walked out of the theater, I was reminded of Garth Ennis's Punisher mini-series, Born. That story brings forth the notion that Frank Castle just used his family's death as an excuse to continue the Vietnam war, albeit on his home turf of 'murica. That's pretty much how I felt about Rambo as a character in this one. There's a minor attempt at introspection on Rambo's part, but it comes across as inauthentic.

I will say that I really liked the ending of John Rambo (Rambo 4), it ended the character in a really nice way. He went home, finally. Last Blood kind of undoes that ending by having Rambo saying, "I came home, but I didn't really come home." That kind of clunky dialogue is all over this movie, made worse by the fact that Stallone has always been a mush mouth when speaking.

The final act of the movie is a slasher movie. There's no other way to put it. He doesn't just kill people, he obliterates them. There are a few action scenes throughout the film, including a fun scene with Rambo bashing peoples' heads and private parts in with a hammer, but the bulk of the action is back loaded to the third act. It's kind of glorious. There's even an excellent montage of Rambo preparing lethal traps like a homicidal Kevin McCallister.

So, clunky dialogue, boring villains, plot stolen from Taken, some logic gaps (apparently a trip from Arizona to Mexico is 30 minutes), but overall, it was a nice, dumb trip to the movies. Rambo 4 ended the series better, imo, but I still liked this one, the mess that it is. I'm sure there'll be another one.
rabidtictac wrote:

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:23 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:39 pm
That reminds me of the dipshit that wrote Death Wish. He hated the Charles Bronson movies because he felt like they glorified vigilantism. But nobody even remembers his stupid books.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:26 am

Rapeculture wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 pm
The final act of the movie is a slasher movie. There's no other way to put it. He doesn't just kill people, he obliterates them. There are a few action scenes throughout the film, including a fun scene with Rambo bashing peoples' heads and private parts in with a hammer, but the bulk of the action is back loaded to the third act. It's kind of glorious. There's even an excellent montage of Rambo preparing lethal traps like a homicidal Kevin McCallister.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!