What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:36 pm
See also: retarded shit.
>thetism.txt
Long sperg about me hating story in vidyaShow
Fucking lore truly destroys everything. DeS and DS had a cool atmosphere exactly because everything was super vague and it was just some weird ran down purgatory kind of place with little rhyme or reason. Shit was just the way it is because of something that happened thousands of years ago and nobody even knows what it really was.

I hate abundant story in vidya so fucking much. It's so bad because it's not just not required, it makes everything worse. Keep it simple, Stupid! Ninja Gayden's story is just "Evil ninja clan rekt your village and summoned demons for shits and giggles - go fuck 'em up!" and yet it has a very unique feeling and style to it. MonHun is even more basic in it's story and yet great, also with a very specific feeling.
And that's really it! A general feeling. Like the one you get when you're reading a very good book. Your fantasy has some room to breathe and the atmosphere puts you in a unique mindset that something like a movie just can't replicate and even less so accurately as it's a bit different from person to person.
And then along come faggots vomiting their dumb opinion and fanfic-level shit writing all over you. Either rando autists making up crap like with DS or even worse the devs twisting some dumb story into the game.

The worst example of the latter for me is Dead Space 2. Making Isaac speak was a mistake. Dead Space is a bit scary in the beginning but you get used to the creepy creatures and their jump scare bullshit relatively quickly. Eventually, you feel more like an exterminator than some scared engineer. I felt more like a desensitized janitor that's being ordered around to fix shit on that broken-ass planet cracker ship, being more annoyed at the monster things than anything else.
DS2 ruined that for me. It doesn't work when Isaac is better equipped and more jaded but also a whiny bitch about his waifu and all that is just because the writers wanted him to be that way and had to make him speak. Had he stayed mute my idea of Isaac could've stayed the space janitor turning more and more into Doomguy. He could've rolled his eyes about hallucinations of his wife, sarcastically thinking to himself "Great! This shit again.".
I guess Half Life was ruined even harder in that regard when HL2 just retconned metric fucktons of stuff to wank that fake nostalgia boner. But I wasn't that heavily invested in HL anyway.

I prefer vidya over movies exactly because I'm not entirely force fed some shitty story without room for imagination. Making vidya more like movies just means inserting shit into it that I don't want. Make better mechanics instead and stop about the gay lore shit!
I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me but that's how I feel about it.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:52 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:36 pm
See also: retarded shit.
>thetism.txt
Long sperg about me hating story in vidyaShow
Fucking lore truly destroys everything. DeS and DS had a cool atmosphere exactly because everything was super vague and it was just some weird ran down purgatory kind of place with little rhyme or reason. Shit was just the way it is because of something that happened thousands of years ago and nobody even knows what it really was.

I hate abundant story in vidya so fucking much. It's so bad because it's not just not required, it makes everything worse. Keep it simple, Stupid! Ninja Gayden's story is just "Evil ninja clan rekt your village and summoned demons for shits and giggles - go fuck 'em up!" and yet it has a very unique feeling and style to it. MonHun is even more basic in it's story and yet great, also with a very specific feeling.
And that's really it! A general feeling. Like the one you get when you're reading a very good book. Your fantasy has some room to breathe and the atmosphere puts you in a unique mindset that something like a movie just can't replicate and even less so accurately as it's a bit different from person to person.
And then along come faggots vomiting their dumb opinion and fanfic-level shit writing all over you. Either rando autists making up crap like with DS or even worse the devs twisting some dumb story into the game.

The worst example of the latter for me is Dead Space 2. Making Isaac speak was a mistake. Dead Space is a bit scary in the beginning but you get used to the creepy creatures and their jump scare bullshit relatively quickly. Eventually, you feel more like an exterminator than some scared engineer. I felt more like a desensitized janitor that's being ordered around to fix shit on that broken-ass planet cracker ship, being more annoyed at the monster things than anything else.
DS2 ruined that for me. It doesn't work when Isaac is better equipped and more jaded but also a whiny bitch about his waifu and all that is just because the writers wanted him to be that way and had to make him speak. Had he stayed mute my idea of Isaac could've stayed the space janitor turning more and more into Doomguy. He could've rolled his eyes about hallucinations of his wife, sarcastically thinking to himself "Great! This shit again.".
I guess Half Life was ruined even harder in that regard when HL2 just retconned metric fucktons of stuff to wank that fake nostalgia boner. But I wasn't that heavily invested in HL anyway.

I prefer vidya over movies exactly because I'm not entirely force fed some shitty story without room for imagination. Making vidya more like movies just means inserting shit into it that I don't want. Make better mechanics instead and stop about the gay lore shit!
I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me but that's how I feel about it.
You will love Gothic if that's the case.

Here's the lore of the 3 games:

Gothic 1: You are in the fantasy equivalent of HBO's Oz. Either remain a prison bitch, or work your way into becoming Schillinger and escape.

Gothic 2: You have escaped, and now orcs and dragons are going to wipe out the continent, while the human factions are busy bitching at each other on Twitter.
Join a faction and only one, work your way from hobo to either paladin, fire mage or dragon hunter (depending on the faction you picked) and kill orcs and dragons.

The nice thing is that the entire game world of the first Gothic is inside the one of Gothic 2, and you will have to return there at some point.

Gothic 3: Your friend/mentor of the previous games fucked you in the ass at the end of 2, and now orcs have enslaved humanity.
Either become their servant/enforcer and check loisences, or kill them.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 pm
spoiler stuff
SpoilerShow
I'm sure MonHun's simplicity hasn't stopped idiots from trying to find deep lore in anything, like that giant sword from Freedom Unite.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm sure there have been attempts but the MonHun community is very hostile towards people that want more lore in the game.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:57 pm

The Virgin Souls Fan vs the Chad MonHun Fan is real :lol:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pepsi Man

Post by Pepsi Man » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 pm
I'm sure there have been attempts but the MonHun community is very hostile towards people that want more lore in the game.
Which is hilarious since World basically succeeded at giving a Monster Hunter game a somewhat coherent story (it's still MonHun, after all) and most of the people who were hating on it not being, "traditional," enough came around, eventually. Also Monster Hunter 4/Ultimate having a decent attempt at a story, all things considered. World did a lot more to try to build lore than 4/U did, though, because the lore is what made the story even possible, to begin with.

Problem is, every time Capcom changes something, good or bad, you get people like Gaijin Hunter doing everything they can to justify it.
Gaijin Hunter is also one of the worst types of people to have as a community figurehead. Dude can't commit to his own opinions to save his life, let alone commit to a criticism. Also is one of those types who has to justify the fact that he's even giving a criticism because apparently you can't say, "Great Jaggi was better than Velocidrome in every possible way (including music)," without first giving 10 minutes of praise to the developers.

I happen to like lore in games but I also recognize when, "lore," isn't helping things. Monster Hunter is one of those. The entire appeal is that you can describe the entirety of the game with the title, alone. You hunt monsters. Why? I don't know, you just do. Go do it.

All that being said, I can't bring myself to continue to play World. It's actually too easy and the story and lore are completely unnecessary. The fact that they had to create an entirely new continent for the story to even make sense, to begin with, is also extremely telling.
Guest wrote:Poopy Man

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 am

MonHun 4U and Freedom Unite have about as much story as I want in a MH game. I don't really like it when I'm forced to do quests because they're "story" quests, especially if it's a story I'm not really interested in. The story for Freedom Unite was perfect. You're just some guy, then a Tigrex attacks you and sends you flying off a cliff, you wake up in the main village, recover your strength and start doing easy quests to help out the town. You're given an unused, busted-up farm to work on. Perfect. Eventually you get to hunt a Tigrex, and I think it's supposed to be the same one that attacked you.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:03 am

Funny enough Doomguy had some unused lines in Quake 4 that makes him sound like Shadow the Hedgehog a bit. (Unused for a reason) And let's not forget Brutal Doom where Doomguy sounds like a diet Alex Jones.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:24 am

Brutal Doom is a mod, a shit one at that. I haven't played Quake 4. Where's Doomguy in it?
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Le Redditeur
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Le Redditeur » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm

After getting frustrated AGAIN with Civ V Vox Populi on Deity, I decided to pirate FF XII The Zodiac Age to relax, because the original PS2 one was the only FF that I finished only once. So far so good, game looks crispy and I love the exploration element of it. I'm pretty sure that the linear trainwreck that is FF XIII only happened because bitches cried about getting lost in the deserts of Rabanastre and not being able to progress the game.