Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
rabidtictac

Re: Fighting Games

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 am

I thought the 24fps shit came from fighting game players when they're talking about reaction times. The fastest you can react to a move in a fighting game is around 20 frames. A move that's 16 frames or faster is considered unseeable, hence discussion about unseeable lows in Tekken and other games. So if someone told me that we can react within about 24 frames to something happening, I'd be inclined to think they're close to the truth. Obviously that varies per individual because nobody is exactly alike.

Someone would have to be pretty dim to claim that our eyes can't see any difference in 24FPS vs 60FPS. Isn't it mostly console apologists who try to spread that lie? I'm a consolefag myself, but I never saw the point in pretending muh 30FPS was a good thing. You don't have to be the cancer ghost of Total Bitchfit to see that 24 FPS games look jank as fuck, while 60FPS games look sick as fuck.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Poonoo
Bureaucrat

Post by Poonoo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:36 am

EVO is on, and Lil Majin just missed out on Top 8 for Tekken 7. He lost to Noroma, the guy he beat to get in last year 2-1 and speaking of Japs there are 4 in the top 8 this year and only 2 Koreans. The most disappointing though has to be JimmyJTran, that guy made Top 8s every damn tournament and after being beat by Majin he went out really early, before the top 32. He was the most consistent American player, though at least Anakin got into winners bracket.

Knee vs Arslan is the narrative match since Arslan is Knee's kryptonite. Arslan made a name for himself after beating him twice in a Paki tournament (one of them 6-0) and he is probably the favourite, that guy out-Koreans the Korean players and only seems to struggle against players who do risky random shit. He's boring as fuck to watch as he's hyper defensive, especially with his shitty Kazumi where he just fucking pokes all day but he won Evo Japan this year and the only way I can see him losing is to Anakin since he isn't the usual robotic Asian player that he can stomp the shit out of.

Samsho was very fun to watch despite being a defensive, poking based game. The risk of using meter (that you can't ever use again in the game) and losing your weapon can make it tense as fuck, and having the use of the bar stop the timer makes it stand out compared to other fighters that are more combo heavy. Going from patient poking to the match ending in one big blow makes those moments matter more spectator wise compared to a VS game or an Anime fighter where it is ADD shit all the time.

Infiltration won the thing, the Top 8 had Justin Wong, Old Man Valle and Kazunoko there too. He beat them all like they were his wife, and people were spamming "Beats by Infiltration" in the chat :lol: .

Genjuro needs to be fucking nerfed though
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:11 pm
Also Lupa’s grandmother? Please, we know that hag was alive and well back then. She’s like the dude from Highlander, only a cunt.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:51 am

There was a genjuro every match, it was exhausting.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 pm

I hate it when a game is new and all the tierfags gravitate to whatever character hasn't been balanced yet. SonicFag did that in MKX with Erron Black before moving on to the next unbalanced netherrealm shitter, then the next and then the next. Every time Nether would nerf a character, he would move to the next guest character that was new and therefore hadn't been nerfed yet.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

ban

Post by ban » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:38 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 am
Someone would have to be pretty dim to claim that our eyes can't see any difference in 24FPS vs 60FPS. Isn't it mostly console apologists who try to spread that lie? I'm a consolefag myself, but I never saw the point in pretending muh 30FPS was a good thing. You don't have to be the cancer ghost of Total Bitchfit to see that 24 FPS games look jank as fuck, while 60FPS games look sick as fuck.
You have no idea how many retards are out there, both at the extreme sides of the spectrum. On one hand it's the consoleniggers with their >MUH PERFECT 30 FPS
>MUH EYES CAN'T SEE PAST 24 FRAMES FROM BACK IN 1917

and then come the mustardfags with their >MUH 120FPS when people forget that back in the arcades and the SNES era we constantly had 60FPS games. It was very few that were below them and the 24FPS problem came with CDs on the PSX and the cartridges of the N64 which was understandable as it was the next move to 3D. Nobody bought a Saturn. But the rise of youtube nobodies didn't help so now you have the camps of people who are either with or against Bitchfit's so called philosophy about fraerates in gaming. Even Digital Foundry isn't exempt from it because they constantly suck dick instead of flatly and factually reporting about the games they cover as of late(ever since 2017 but whatever).

Mind you, you could show them this shit :

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

And they'd still stick to their retarded "I don't see a difference" to the point of wanting to strangle those retards. And they don't have to be consolefags either, they can be mobileshitters who happen to own a console most of the time.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 am
I thought the 24fps shit came from fighting game players when they're talking about reaction times.
That would make even less sense as fps isn't a time measurement. But assuming that something runs @ 60fps then 24fps are 0.4 seconds, 16fps would be 0.26 seconds, which is damn near close to impossible to react to considering you need a few frames to recognise the move, about 0.2 seconds reaction time plus a few frames input delay.

But no, the meme comes from movies shot on films running @24 fps and idiots assuming that because that's the bare minimum required to make it look like fluid motion it's also the max you could tell apart.
That ignores completely that there's a huge difference between a movie and a video game. Have fun trying to play Burnout Paradise if it ran under 60fps. While you can't react to a 60th of a second, you can tell the input delay.

Remember when it was a big deal that there would be no 2 frame links in SFV and that the shortest ones would be 3 fame links? It's because 4 frame links are easy, 3 frame links are very doable with practise and 2 frame links are difficult.
Or in other words, you can easily time something to 4 60ths of a second, but you couldn't react to something that fast. They are two different things. Humans are very good at telling differences in timing apart and having multiple tenths of seconds apart from an input and the expected outcome is very noticeable.

And ban is completely correct about games running fucking slow is a very recent thing. Arcades, computers and old consoles have been running stuff @60Hz and most @60fps accordingly for ages. Super Mario Bros. 3 ran at 60fps for example. You'd have had a much harder time with it if it ran at less.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

ban

Post by ban » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Did Germany also have that thing where the consoles run at 50FPS because the tvs were at 50Hz during the pre-PS2 days? Because it always bugged me why there was a slight delay between the arcades and the consoles and I always chalked it up to stress and the competitiveness making it seem faster, back in those days.

Don't forget that the Gamecube and the PS2 were hallmarks for not only bringing back the 60FPs back to Ninty consoles, SONY made sure the devkits were programmer-friendly enough that even baboons could make games at constant 60s and the exceptions were either PC and GC ports, or Okami and GodHand because they are based on the same engine. The GameBoy Advance also had tons of sprite-based games that run at 60s which was huge at the time :

It's the reason why many sight Wario 4 as the perfect Wario game after all. If anyone ever wondered how Blob Chipman's favourite game ever would play like at 30FPS, just tell them to play Super Mario Land 1 and 2. It's when the X360 and the PS3 came out that shit really hit the fan and slowed down because of MUH Graffix meme and MUH ONLINE that Gaylo 2 started. If anyone looks up the japanese developed games on the Xbox, very few dipped below 60s.
He warned youShow

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 pm

The Mega Man Zero also had some pretty slick animation.
ban wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:11 pm
Did Germany also have that thing where the consoles run at 50FPS because the tvs were at 50Hz during the pre-PS2 days? Because it always bugged me why there was a slight delay between the arcades and the consoles and I always chalked it up to stress and the competitiveness making it seem faster, back in those days.
Of course, it was the course of every PAL region.
Thinks got better, fortunately. I don't think there ever was a PS2 fighting game that didn't have the option to switch to 60hz.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

ban

Post by ban » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Even its commercials were amazing. As for the tvs, didn't it have something to do with bong electrical outlet so they made all the tvs output like that or something? There are a lot of games in the PS2 era that had that option but come DMC3 SE, it just stoped asking and told you "you HAVE 60hz tv don't you, faggot" at the back of the box.
He warned youShow

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 pm
I hate it when a game is new and all the tierfags gravitate to whatever character hasn't been balanced yet. SonicFag did that in MKX with Erron Black before moving on to the next unbalanced netherrealm shitter, then the next and then the next. Every time Nether would nerf a character, he would move to the next guest character that was new and therefore hadn't been nerfed yet.
Mk11 top 8 was absolute snooze, was nothing but tippy top tiers and the same 4 characters over again. Samsho was the same way.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]