After redshell now we got this, be careful about games collecting your data guys

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
AngrySpoonySnob

After redshell now we got this, be careful about games collecting your data guys

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:08 pm

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/civ ... on-1993738

"The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information," reads the new EULA for Civilization VI. "In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use."

So basically your pc and phone + other smart devices will be scanned and send. This is the new thing to do in gaming, have bad sales (civ 6 sucks) just put data collection in your game and make money selling that data.
And yes I know "they" "them governments" already have all our shit but still its sickening to me that companies like this will make money of selling our data in a sneaky way.

Im also 99.99% sure that most free to play games do this shit, they dont only gain money from microtransactions or it wouldnt be such a huge market.
Last edited by AngrySpoonySnob on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: After redshell now we got this, be careful about games collecting your data guys

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 pm

They sure know how to make themselves popular. I really regret losing interest in the franchise at around Civ 5.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Re: After redshell now we got this, be careful about games collecting your data guys

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:58 pm

I tried to go back and play PlanetSide 2 and I see now that it has some supposed "anti-cheat" system in place now that requires Administrator privileges to run. I promptly uninstalled.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Credo in Deum

Post by Credo in Deum » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Paradox Interactive does this also.
"We see that in the GDPR legislation that is happening in the EU," Wester continued. "All of a sudden we can't just collect data. We can't just treat people the way that we want to do in business. We have to actually care about the gamers."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... power-back

:lol:

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:26 pm

PI is on my shitlist anyway because of their insane dlc milking.

What I wonder though is how are pirates affected? Would be insane if the pirates would actually get a clean game while the paying fan gets screwed over.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:25 pm

They've been getting the true and honest clean version of a game ever since the rise of Denuvo and similar malware.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Some of those crackers also put keyloggers, cryptominers etc in their releases though (fitgirl)
But if you go with trustable crackers most of the time its a superior version indeed.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:17 pm

That's one of the reasons I'm pissed about the Williams and Bally licenses being gone from Pinball Arcade. They are now held by Zen Pinball, who have an EULA that includes all that good shit up there, plus also a clause that tells you to absolutely get fucked if they ever pull tables from the game, no matter if you bought them or not. No way those fuckers ever get a cent from me, or even me to install their software in the first place.

Barring shady crackers, pirates would have the far superior version of Civ 6. Not that much of a loss, though, seeing how Civ 6 isn't any good in the first place.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 pm

Yeah how about they actually try creating an AI that can keep up with their modern mechanics instead of doing this bullshit. I guess its easier just being evil fucks profiting of unknowing kids installing your shit and collecting + selling their data than it is to actually create a good product.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:24 am

I wonder if its even about money or just being part of the evil machine when I thought deeper about it.

With our smartphones and (soon or some places already) smart fridges, smart washing machines, smart ovens, smart coffeemachines etc etc they already would have the data. Those machines all communicate with each other and the internet, you cant tell me those machines dont scan your entire PC as well.

Then again the overlords have unlimited money so why not pay to get 99% of a persons information instead of 95%.

We are fucked lol
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine