What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: What are you playing?

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Noyce. Now I just need something that allows my PC to read those fabled Blu-Ray thingies that everyone keeps talking about. Or make I can just copy the game from the PS3's HD if it's a digital purchase.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 pm
The last two days I've been playing quite a bit of Caves of Qud.
Good to hear that more roguelikes are coming over to Steam. That platform is in dire need of actual quality.

And Cataclysm is is pretty fun when things go apeshit. You never really know what freakazoid will shamble its way towards you.
Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:42 am
Soooo, what you're saying is that...

PC ain't always perfect. :lol: I tease, just like to bust some master race balls on occasion.
Emulation on PC is only as good as its weakest link, aka the inferior and downright savage console architecture.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:24 pm

AdorableOtter wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm
I've been eyeing on CoQ and Cogmind for some time because good reputatin but I'll wait until the game becomes at least completable. I DON'T WORK AS A BETA TESTER FOR FREEEEE!! (edit: it's not free, I have to pay. that's worse)
There is a free build around. Also, it's on GOG and a fairly lightweight file so it shouldn't be too difficult to get your hands on it for free.
AdorableOtter wrote:
As a side note, Cataclysm is so good it makes other games feel boring. I recently started tinkering around with New Vegas, but I can't help but feel possible actions are far too limited compared to Cataclysm. I can't even refill a bottle of water or butcher a human corpse to eat it, Jesus Mohamed Christ. If only the FPS mechanics was as good as STALKER...
I know how that feels. Stuff like that is why I like roguelikes so much more than most other RPGs.
Modern RPGs are a weird mix of too little possibilities and no limitations. Your dragon born Skyrim dude can do whatever the fuck he wants to in regard to class limitations and such because there are practically none. But there's so fucking little you can actually do, could possibly find, do with the things you find and so on. Item interaction is incredibly poor.
You can have boring fights with poorly coded dragons. Wow. Can I slap a fucker with a cockatrice carcass to stone them? Can I polymorph it into a mouse? Can I polymorph myself into a dragon? Can I read a scroll of wishing and just genocide dragons? In Nethack I can.
AdorableOtter wrote:
Cataclysm is incomplete too (thus I have to retract my comment about Cataclysm being the best game ever) but it's a free game after all and development seems quite fast I have no complaint.
Eh, when's a roguelike ever truly complete? I think what matters more is if there's enough stuff to do already.
CoQ should be feature complete somewhen this year concerning the main story. I think it's ready to go already since it's supposedly tough as fuck later on down the main story and you're not likely going to get far for a while anyway.
That and nothing forces you into the main story anyway.
AdorableOtter wrote:
Personal Roguelike ranking
1.probably Infra Arcana
2.probably Dungeon Crawl
3.probably Shiren
*Cataclysm is more like a survival sim rather than a roguelike.
*Dwarf Fortress = too much autism to handle
Infra Arcana look interesting. I'll put that on my list. For ranking stuff, that's difficult.
1. Crawl
2. Nethack/Slash 'EM
I can't really rate the others. Cataclysm is a pure roguelike even by the stingy the Berlin definition, certainly by any reasonable definition. The goal being more open to the player really doesn't matter. In any case, if you like Cataclysm, you'll like CoQ (say that out loud :lol:).
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 pm
Emulation of the PS3 being stable may also take quite a while. I'm still waiting for 360 emulation to become good enough but that seems to be well on track. I want to play Ninja Gaiden 2 again.

The last two days I've been playing quite a bit of Caves of Qud.
It's a roguelike taking place in some weird Sci-Fi setting. It's got a massive overworld, an even larger underworld and some cities are fixed. It's pretty open. It reminds me most of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, which is awesome because that was also great.
The atmosphere is very unique. You've got good background music and some battle sounds. The world is entirely foreign to ours. You can go and read the tales on the website to get a feel for it. It's a bit post apocalyptic, a bit Sci-Fi and may not even take place on Earth. In any case, it's taking place so far in the future that the people/creatures don't seem to know anything about our present at all.
It's FULL of variety and has loads of classes to play as, including mutants that get to chose several mutations. Very good so far. Getting into it isn't so hard when you've played a couple of roguelikes before, ideally you've played CataclysmDDA before as well.
I've seen caves of qud promoted everything in roguelike circles, but been wary of its quality. A lot of shit that gets hyped to me ends up being trash, like super meat boy.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:13 am

It's pretty cool. Just got my second character killed through a series of rookie mistakes.
Got a fungal infection. Most of them aren't bad in general. It ended up being "mumble mouth", which is loads of tiny mouth-like openings that foam. Occasionally they tell you a secret when you enter a new area. Those secrets are locations of traders, interesting locations or just interesting stuff about some water baron. Those are obvious advantages in case of the locations and all of those can usually be told to friendly NPCs for some reputation.
It also gives you 1-3 AC (armour) depending on what body part you get it without a DV (dodge) punishment. But you can't equip stuff to that body part either anymore.

I got it on my left arm. Not too bad. 1 free AC and some info. I still decided to learn how to heal it so I looked up that you can get a book from an albino ape major of a town not too far away that describes how to heal any illness. I set out for that village. All was fine and dandy, found some cool stuff on the way and so on and eventually arrived to grab that book.
Until I decided to check out the trader of that town. Turns out, he's a talking cucumber plant. Shitty thing about fungal infections is that they give you +200 rep for fungi but -200 rep with the Consortium of Phyta. That's literally all other plants. I guess fungi aren't plants after all.

Fucker immediately attacked me. Bad enough he was tough, much worse he could confuse me. So I ran to the next screen. The shit actually follows you. He's slow but me bumping into walls thanks to confusion didn't let me make that advantage pay off. Ran into other fucks mad at me, including some juiced up cyclope or whatever. So I juiced up with hulk tonic and fucked his shit up but was crowded with weak enemies I could've dealt with if not for that plant son of a bitch to hound my ass and confuse me over and fucking over again.
So, being at mad hulk rage but bleeding I took a salve tonic to heal up. That confused me even more and sent me into a harder rage, which I knew would happen, but I figured when I'm likely to be fucked anyway I might as well. Helped me survive for a bit and kill some more fuckers.
When I came to, that plant fuck was standing a tile away, some jaguar was in my face and I was at 1 HP. GGWP

If you're in a roguelike mood, I'd advise you to check out Cataclysm. Very robust wiki if you have questions, very solid game, extremely comfy and free, like most roguelikes.
CoQ costs me 10 bucks and I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth but I'd never recommend a roguelike you've got to buy to somebody who's not super into them. Much less one that isn't finished yet, although you'll likely not figure that out on your own any time soon since you're not going to come anywhere near to the story part where it's unfinished.
I can only say that I absolutely love it so far. But if you've yet to play Cataclysm, you owe it to yourself checking that one out.
If you're completely out of the loop on roguelikes, go and play Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. You can play it in your browser even and it's the most approachable rougelike by far. Grab yourself a Minotaur Berserker with axes or maces & flails and bash some skulls in.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:22 am

Oh that cyclope or whatever it was (was confused so no clue)? I hacked his fucking arms off. Dude dealt mad damage to me, didn't like me chopping off his left arm, absolutely hated me chopping off his right arm. Bled like a pig, unable to do anything to me anymore.
But during that whole fight with the other creatures I started to bleed more and I think something may have been hacked off of me as well. That hulk tonic has the disadvantage of you not being able to see your own HP anymore and me also taking the salve tonic (if you ever take more than one, unless you've got some skill, bad shit happens) made me unable to even read my inventory. I was also confused.
So I was on the maddest of all roid/meth rages just choping through fuckers with my carbide battle axe I took off some goatfolk earlier but was practically flying blind.

That's the stuff I love roguelikes for. What other kind of RPG is there where you can buy some book from an albino ape mayor, get attacked by a cucumber plant and find yourself in a forest chopping off limbs of woodland creatures and some juiced up cyclops?
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Their randomness sure results in some of the most hilarious stories. I fondly remember that time in Cataclysm where my character's sleep was rudely interrupted by a police killbot rip-and-tearing its way through his car.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:59 am

My first competent CDDA character was a bow hunter who later unwillingy turned into a nocturnal rat mutant who maul and eat zombies, but he died mostly because of fungal infection (don't have unprotected fist fights with fungal monsters, kids). My second competent character was a psychopath convict who ended up getting splatted by a neutral NPC girl with an Uzi when I tried to axe her question and eat her. It could be totally avoidable if I checked her equipment but totally overlooked because she looked harmless.

I rarely remember what happens in video games but CDDA is quite magical when it comes to unique an memorable experiences.Coincidentally, the new stable version is coming out in a week since forever, it's a really good time to join the horde.

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:24 pm
AdorableOtter wrote:
I've been eyeing on CoQ and Cogmind for some time because good reputatin but I'll wait until the game becomes at least completable. I DON'T WORK AS A BETA TESTER FOR FREEEEE!! (edit: it's not free, I have to pay. that's worse)
There is a free build around. Also, it's on GOG and a fairly lightweight file so it shouldn't be too difficult to get your hands on it for free.
I'll wait until it gets out of early access state. I don't thirst for See-Oh-Qew.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:24 pm
Eh, when's a roguelike ever truly complete? I think what matters more is if there's enough stuff to do already.
CoQ should be feature complete somewhen this year concerning the main story. I think it's ready to go already since it's supposedly tough as fuck later on down the main story and you're not likely going to get far for a while anyway.
That and nothing forces you into the main story anyway.
When the devs and the majority of users think it's complete. CDDA actually have more traditional CRPG-ish stuffs like lengthy main quest line, NPC factions, non-delivery/fetch quests and such, but most of them are quite unfinished the last time I checked.
It makes sense there isn't and won't be a typical winning condition considering the world is utterly totally thoroughly fucked beyond repair but providing pivotal goals for players will make the game more enjoyable/engaging.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:22 am
That's the stuff I love roguelikes for. What other kind of RPG is there where you can buy some book from an albino ape mayor, get attacked by a cucumber plant and find yourself in a forest chopping off limbs of woodland creatures and some juiced up cyclops?
It's another roguelike but I think you can do similar or more insane stuff in IVAN.
The game starts with you being a slave, working at a banana plantation
Btw, I like Infra Aracana because it feels there is no padding/filler/grinding contents, quite short (alledgely beatable in 1~2 hours) and the atmosphere is really good. But this game is INSANELY HARD, feels beatable for some reason but still rather extreme difficulty imo. You have to reach the 30th floor but my best record is 12 or something. It's more like a honorable mention rather than a best ever actually. Be warned.

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm

I have been watching some Anthem beta impressions and its hilarious.

Its basically destiny with jetpacks loooolll, same bulletsponge shit and weak gunplay. Same limited skills and loadouts crap and only 4 classes.

This will be free to play within the year lol
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Ya'll fucks made me buy Caves of Qud. It's pretty sweet so far once you start to not suck.

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Im eying Wargroove, a game like advanced wars. I just think the price is waaaaaaay too high for the moment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6070 ... phubheader
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine