Smash Containment Thread

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Pope Corky III

Re: Smash Containment Thread

Post by Pope Corky III » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:25 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:40 pm
Dunno what your issue is with parries. Perfect shielding was way too easy anyway but hardly paid off.
My issue is that the computer does it ALL THE FUCKING TIME.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 am

Parries are super hype in any game.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Pope Corky III wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:25 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Dunno what your issue is with parries. Perfect shielding was way too easy anyway but hardly paid off.
Oh. Well, play against fuckboys online then.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:44 pm
Pope Corky III wrote:
Kugelfisch wrote:
Oh. Well, play against fuckboys online then.
Nintendo wants shekels for that. I'd give them to them, but I need Trump's strong economy to give them to me first.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Fair enough.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:57 am

Pope Corky III wrote:
Kugelfisch wrote:
That's why you use throws and grabs. Throw down set up for a strong/smash up or direction.

Parries are good in clusters but in 1v1 I lean towards dodges for the quick reverse.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:09 pm

PLANT GANG!
Piranha Plant was just released and looks pretty good. It's kind of a fast faller, which isn't so great but really the only downside I can feel right now. Aerials are good and the specials are fun. He could actually be a combo beast. Interesting notes:
- Side B needs to charge fully before use.Never mind, you can mash it out. It's a poison cloud that does pretty good damage and covers a nice area but doesn't cause any hitstun. Could be used for light area denial or just to rack up damage.

- Up B is a helicopter recovery move. The leafs do damage but you can get spiked out of it from above. Has good range and more areal control than Snake's up B.

- Down B gains more reach the longer you charge, you can tilt to the sides to have the pot fall to that side. Fully charged you can reach from the middle of one side platform on Battlefield to another. I think you have some kind of armour while charging. It stalls in the air and can be tilted slightly downward as well. Looks like it's pretty alright for edge guarding or to mix up landings.

- Neutral B is odd. You blow a giant spiked ball into the air. It doesn't do much damage directly upwards but can be thrown to either side. The timing greatly alters the distance it's thrown. If you throw it immediately it flies below Battlefield platforms, if you throw it at it's peak it'll land on them. If you throw it when it comes all the way down you throw it pretty far in a shallow angle, allowing you to cover the entire Battlefield.
If thrown, it does massive knock back. It's a fairly slow attack but could be really good for edge guarding or combos.

Overall, Piranha Plant is pretty fun.

Some balance changes were made as well. Nintendo has finally started listing them on their website. The main takeaway is that pretty much everyone got buffs. Loads of moves have had their landing lag reduced even further, vulnerable states shortened, weak hitboxes strengthened or strong ones made bigger. Some angles got changed.
Many aerials have the time until you can grab a ledge shortened. All bury moves have the time one is buried when undamaged reduced, Inkling's side B's hitbox has been reduced as well.
King Dedede, of course, has gotten his Gordos nerfed even further with a slight range reduction, which I didn't find very noticeable even in training mode. They go maybe a quarter of a unit less far, if that. Hitboxes seem to be the same. Pointless nerf.
Incineroar's up B now has slightly more range upwards and sideways, his up throw launches further and his side smash was buffed.
Bowser was massively buffed overall.

Most importantly, Chrom got his up B nerfed. It's still annoying on stage but it's meteor range was nerfed and he now always dies first off stage. So he's still pretty strong but you get to edge guard him for free.

Edit: Oh and they buffed Snake's uptilt in range. What the actual fuck?

Edit: Seems like the main disadvantage of the Piranha Plant is that he's got pretty short range on his normals and can't really force people to approach. The pipe/pot of it has permanent hyper armor. You can barely deal any damage to it and it seems to have priority over most things. Not sure about swords yet. The forward air, while short ranged, so far beats out most other character's moves.
The up B is crazy good. You aren't protected from above like King K. Rool but rather to the sides and you can to very fast with it. Looks like only sword users could spike it when you fly sideways. Well, and Ganondorf because he spikes absolutely everything.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm

A heads up: Playing Piranha Plant in All-Star mode can delete one's save.
Well done, Mashedpotato Samurai.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 pm

I did the physical copy code the other day and still waiting for an email, it's whatever though I barely have played the game.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm
A heads up: Playing Piranha Plant in All-Star mode can delete one's save.
Well done, Mashedpotato Samurai.
:shock:

Well that's just all kinds of terrible. Thank God I haven't unlocked all-star mode yet.
mad bum wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 pm
I did the physical copy code the other day and still waiting for an email, it's whatever though I barely have played the game.
It might have ended up in your spam folder. It's unfortunately not just going to pop up with a big shiny "free piranha plant code" in your inbox. You have to dig for it. Search "nintendo plant" in your inbox search.

Piranha Plant is indeed fun and that ball of his is one hell of a hit-box.
da PAC Nigguh wrote: