What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 am

That SID chip was just so much better than anything was was around. Commodore was top of the line during that time. With the Amiga still having the best sound and graphics:

It's no wonder they are still the favourite of the demo scene.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Old Black Man
Champion of Lawlhalla

Post by Old Black Man » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:07 am
Eh, I think Brutal Doom is pretty shit, actually. Reloading was never meant to be in Doom.
I can agree on reloading, but I really enjoy the gore/dismemberment overhaul and the enemy changes. Plus being able to kick the shit out of enemies is always rad. I also find the doomguy one liners to be pretty dumb, yelling “fuck yourself!” and stuff.

I’ll be honest, I’ve no experience pirating stuff outside of the old limewire days with music and a few videos. I definitely will consult you for future advice though, it’s much appreciated.
I’m getting too old for this shitposting.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:22 am

Well, in any case I'd recommend, at least for a first playthrough, to just stick to Smooth Doom and disabling both kinds of aim assist with full mouse movement. It's the closest to how Doom would play vanilla these days. The added animations are really just masterfully done additional frames.

It's not like Doom doesn't have gore vanilla. Anyway, go in and play Doom and Doom 2 as unmodded as possible the first time around is what I'd suggest. Ad some quality of life things like Smooth Doom but keep it simple. Doom holds up really well, actually. Then, go explore. It's truly a lonely island kinda game. Knowing what Doom vanilla is like will help appreciating what people managed to do to the game.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 am

My first experience of Doom was doom 1 and 2 on gba actually. You might cry "haram" but they weren't bad at all. I also have doom 1 and 2 on original xbox as part of the doom 3 compilation.

(Yes, I also have the dosbox thing on my laptop and I've played doom 1 and 2 with the mouse aim.) But I have many fond memories of playing doom 2 on gba.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 am

Muh Tim Follin

and the glorious FCD soundchip

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:30 am
Oh and let me just add that one of the best soundtracks to any game ever made is the C64 theme to Monty on the Run:
[..]
That's over six minutes of non-repeating SID tunes, likely the finest 8-bit piece of music ever made.
TIL the source material of that autism song.
Old Black Man wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 am
I really enjoy the gore/dismemberment overhaul and the enemy changes.
Try Ketchup (basically just gore part of BD) too. IMO BD is fun but that mod adds far too many unnecessary screen effects it can get quite annoying and eye gouging (I particularly hated how recoils were handled and excessive screen shakes). There was a variant of BD which cleaned up the messy parts but unfortunately I don't know what's going on these day.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 am

DOSbox a shit. Go use a source port some day. You'll love it. I guarantee it.

Yes, Otter, you'll find comments about that pretty much on every video about that song. Have a webbum of that.
phpBB [video]

Edit: I am delighted to see that Demolition D+ commented on the video you linked.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 am

Hey that video is mean for us autistic cats.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 am
DOSbox is basically the last resort if there's no port in sight.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 am

DOSbox is fine for what it is and a great option for many games. But when you have far, far superior options, why use it? In the very best case, you get emulated DOS Doom. With a source port you get a far better version of Doom that runs better than the emulation, can look better, is more convenient and stable and then you can easily use loads of mods. I don't see the point in emulating the DOS version. If I wanted it truly oldschool and as perfect as it gets, I'd just get some 487 DOS PC instead.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 am

This Dos talk reminded me of M&M4-5 I stopped playing months ago. I wanted to finish it before starting New Vegas but it's hard to go back to a big non-linear open world RPG with lots of quests after a long time. I NEED QUEST MARKERS!! (well, actual reason is MM4-5 has a bizarre buffing mechanics where it's ideal to visit/teleport to specific wells/fountains all over the world every day. Quest logs are actually complete clusterfuck though.)
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 am
DOSbox is basically the last resort if there's no port in sight.
One major advantage of Dosbox over real machines is, you can easily emulate expensive hardwares (especially sound equipment) quite accurately without spending money on pricey ancient relics. Also, graphic filters = icing on the cake. Source ports are better ofc, but otherwiseDosbox is actually a preferable option for most games imo .