Retro Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Retro Games

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Tinkering with Dosbox config files ain't that bad.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Guest wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:09 pm
I thought the Blood sauce code was lost.
Nope, it just was never released. It's currently owned by Atari. You know, whatever fucking company that may be, wearing the name of a dead company.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 pm

I like DoomRL better than actual Doom.

All the classic FPS games have some kind of serious technical limitations, it's really hard to enjoy them without nostalgia goggles (which I don't have) or source ports. If I must choose one, ahhh, hmm, uggg Gungriffon??

>Dosbox

Dosbox GUIs pretty much configure themselves, it's not that hard. You still have to deal with a bit tricky stuff if you want better music though (e.g. midi controller, soundfont).
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 pm
Tinkering with Dosbox config files ain't that bad.
It's neuroscientifically true. The human brain pump the dopamine when it expects something, rather than actually experiencing that something. I have such a great Dos game library
SpoilerShow
but haven't completed any of them, yet. I think I finished about 50% of MM4 but that's an exception.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Source ports are absolutely the way to go for Doom and Quake. No way around that. There's no reason at all to play Doom just with a keyboard. If they could've given you full mouselook back then, they would've.
Please be aware that you should absolutely not buy old id games. Don't give Bethesda money for badly-working or incomplete games they didn't even make.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:34 am

Anyone remember the Ghost Recon games? Specifically 2 and Summit Strike? That games AI was horseshit.
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 am

I used to love the ghost recon games on the xbox, the best modes to play were the defend the point modes and just have the Ai come to you instead. Remember having a lot of fun online.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:29 pm

mad bum wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 am
I used to love the ghost recon games on the xbox, the best modes to play were the defend the point modes and just have the Ai come to you instead. Remember having a lot of fun online.
I made it through both campaigns. It always pissed me off how I could take a quiet load out, and the first enemy I killed would always trigger the entire map to come running at me with infinite spawn. Eventually I just went gunner or grenadier and Rambo'd through every map brute force until it was done.
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:57 pm

Man, I'm getting flashbacks to Morrowind Blood Moon, where anyone seeing you yiff it up will somehow immediately inform the entire world of your degeneracy.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

AdorableOtter

Post by AdorableOtter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 pm
Source ports are absolutely the way to go for Doom and Quake. No way around that.
If that's the case, maybe Quake2 (I forgot what port/mod I used) mainly due to the best FPS soundtrack ever. I think most classic style modern FPS made actual classic FPS pretty much obsolete. There are fun mods like Brutal Doom or GMOTA, but they completely break the game balance and get's old rather quickly.

Or maybe I'm just biased against classic FPS and it's community mainly because of how all those soy doom forums treated SgtMk4. That incident fairy disgusted me and I really stopped caring about things those soybois made.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:09 pm

A faggot admin fucking a Doom board doesn't sour me on decades old mods.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!