What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Righty right. I'm through the first two Episodes. Some thoughts:
- The weapon upgrades are fine. Vanilla, they are a bit boring. The upgrade let's you add a twist.

- Normal is much too easy. I'll finish this playthrough, mostly because you don't have any safe files, but I should've started on Hard.

- Speaking of saving, the Episodes are divided in six parts, every part 2-4 levels. In between those, you get to your workshop where your game is saved and where you upgrade your stuff and yourself. You can not save in any other way.

- You have a limited number of lives. On normal, that doesn't matter at all. I've died twice, both times to the chapter end bosses. Mostly because I didn't know what to do and how to fight them, also not expecting them to hit like a freight train.

- Everything is too fucking dark. You absolutely NEED that light spell. No way around it. You use it by holding down the right mouse button. You can't shoot while it's out, you can't just cast it and it'll last or something. It's basically the Doom 3 flashlight.

- You can't re-bind the mouse wheel. That fucks me up real bad because I always rebind next weapon to down and previous to up. Mousewheel up for next weapon just doesn't make sense in my brain and I keep fumbling around to switch a weapon.
Since there are two weapons per number bound, using those isn't as easy/quick either.

- Not enough enemies! My firepower is absolutely supreme and the game keeps trickling out enemies one or two at a time. It's at it's best when there is a giant mob of enemies around but that happens way too infrequently. I hope Hard mode changes that.

The game is still good. But it's no Doom, Quake or Dusk.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:12 pm

Amid Evil
Just checked it out again. It's much better since the latest update. It's pretty fun right now. I'll write a proper conclusion when I've got a couple more hours in. Maybe I'll grind it tonight.

Edit: Little side note. The rocket launcher in this game is called the Celestial Staff or something like that. It's a staff that fires little planets that look different all the time. It's fucking awesome design.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:44 am

I've played some more, finished the first two episodes and am in the third now. Gotta say, I really warmed up to the game.
What's cool is that no weapon is useless at any point. You have:
- A Battleaxe. It's your default weapon and melee only. You're unlikely to use it much because it's not exactly safe. That said, it one shots lesser enemies.
- Azure Orb. A basic staff with relatively slow fire rate. It's shoots two azure orbs (what else?) which travel slowly and slightly apart from another. The damage is mediocre but since the orbs have a minor homing capacity it's still good against fast or flying enemies.
- Wispering Edge. A scimitar that shoots a green energy slash that travels a bit slow but deals good damage and can hit multiple enemies. Also a good choice against fast or dodgy enemies, despite the relatively slow projectile speed. Nicely spammable and can negate certain projectiles.
- Trident. A trident that shoots straight bolts of lightning relatively fast. Good when you need something accurate.
- Star of Torment. A star mace that shoots ice shards like a shotgun with little spread. One of your harder hitting weapons.
- Celestial Claw. A staff that holds a planet a bit smaller than a bowling ball. It's a rocket launcher that looks absolutely amazing. You can also rocket jump.
- Aeturnum. A purple, weird-looking assemblage of glas shards or something. It's your BFG. It very slowly fired a big ball that, when it hits something stops and unloads very powerful thunderbolts in all directions, likely killing every enemy in a fairly large radius.

Instead of ammunition, you have mana. Blue mana is used by the Azure Orb and Trident, green mana by the Whispering Edge and Star of Torment (SoT uses five per shot), red mana is used by the Celestial Claw and purple mana by the Aeturnum. You find red seldom, blue and green are abundant, purple is very rare.

But that's not all! All enemies drop souls. They fill your soul meter. The bigger the enemy, the larger the soul, the more they charge it. When it's full the next shot activates soul mode. You can't not activate it. The soul bar will drain until you hit zero but souls collected during the mode fuel it up a good deal more than normally, allowing you to stay in soul mode pretty much indefinitely if you can get your hands on a steady supply of victims.
Every weapon behaves differently in soul mode, all of them become very powerful.
The axe spins, dealing high damage. Azure Orb fires extremely fast and focused. Whispering Edge's slash travels through enemies, goes fast and bounces off of walls several times. Trident fires in a constant stream of lightning. Celestial Claw's planets explode with a massive splash damage radius. SoT's shards explode on contact, spraying additional shards in all directions. Aeturnum creates a fucking black hole, pulling in and obliterating everything plus time slows down the closer to the hole you go.
So, essentially, when you hit full soul gage, it's go time. Run forward, mass slaughter and try to fuel your soul mode while you kick ass.

There's also an overkill mechanic. Mostly it just fucks your enemy to shit with gore and splatter. But with the Trident your victim explodes into many bolts, allowing you to kill groups of weak enemies if you can keep your fire focused on one that's basically dead for another couple of shots.

Wew, that's it for the weapons.
The game is all in all fairly simple, lacking any kind of special movement options. The weapons also don't really have secondary fire modes, unless you want to consider their soul charged mode. But it still has enough variety to reward quick thinking and smart weapon choices, especially since certain enemies are especially weak to certain weapons.
I'm pleasantly surprised by how much these few mechanics vary up the gameplay.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:45 pm

And in Mega Man Battle Network 2, I have discovered the perfect solution to a cheap-ass mofo toad boss is the Battle Network equivalent of a broken-ass summon.

Kinda hesitant to make this part of my main folder because of dat cheese.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 pm

DUSK has a release date now.

SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:06 am

Yet more Amid Evil.
It's shaping up really well. I'm in the fourth episode right now. They have worked well to alter the enemies to not just fucking bumrush you all the time and I've gotten better at it as well. I'm in a real nice comfort zone with the game right now.

Secrets are absurdly hard to find. There are no fake walls, there are no hidden switches. Secrets are only ever placed where you could just go. You'd think they would be easy to find that way, since it can only ever be something like a hole in a wall or something. I consistently miss most of them.
For context, I find almost every secret in Project Warlock, Doom and Quake. I miss most or many in Build engine games because I have next to no experience in them. A bit annoying to me.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:54 am

pokemon snap, good times :D

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Started DQ11. Not played long, and I've heard it just becomes great after 30 hours. And since I basically explore everything and is slow af, that might be 50 for me xD
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

GitGud
Quality Poster

Post by GitGud » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Jagged Alliance 2,Mechcommander, Syndicate......if i got the time. Fun thing about old games is, that you can get em for free and all fit on an single USB stick. Shit i still play Reunion from time to time
I will return when i the times are dire.
"I had this nurse yesterday who was super careful giving me morphine and she sais "this could kill 4 of me lols"

That was fun.
-Auli

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 am

Started my annual winter Doom 1&2 run. I think it's telling that every time I start over the music is so good it feels like I'm discovering it all over again.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!