What are you playing?

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:51 pm

That's what I meant with a potentially good game. You can only ever just ignore the missions, making everything feel pointless, or play the missions, which are shit.

I've been playing some more Agents of Mayhem and the more I do the more I like the game. I'm currently working on just unlocking all the agents. I don't think I've talked about the basic premise so here I go:
It's an open world 3rd person action shooter. The open world doesn't have all that much to offer, really, but it's well concstructed, albeit a bit small. It takes place in Seol in Worst Korea in the future. Flavour-wise it's like a more futuristic Saints Row 3.

From the gameplay it's a lot more like a Just Cause. There aren't gangs but some cartoony villain army. You also don't have side activities or anything like that. You're mostly doing missions with the open world aspect mostly being there as the location where things take place.
You always play with three agents at once, that you can switch between with the mouse wheel. So only one is ever active, the others teleport away.
Every agent has their main weapon, a special ability that has a cooldown of somewhere 15 to 10 seconds, a Mayhem ability that's pretty much their ultimate that charges rather slowly and only from getting experience and three perk slots with three perks each.
They also all have one passive ability, two different traits of which the second is unlocked at level 10 and two movement abilities. Those are either ground dash or invisibility and air dash or a wall jump. Every agent has three regular jumps.
Also, they all have health and shields.
Shared between all of them are Gremlin technology, which are one-use items and Legion tech, which provide modifiers for perks.

So what you're doing is picking three agents that compliment each other in their abilities well and go shoot some shit up.
I really dig it. The driving is pretty awesome as well. All civilian cars are shit but you have your own cars that you can call to you by pressing X.
They all have a boost and the great thing is the drift button. If you press Space you're in drift mode and once you get the hang of it it feels great to corner. Basically, it doesn't steer normally in drift mode. For example, if you want to take a tight corner you should release the gas and just steer. The car will pretty much move in whichever direction you put in while drifting.
Imagine drifting around a corner and realising you'll hit the inside of the corner. You can press back and won't drastically break but rather widen the arc of the drift. You'll lose some speed but way less than you'd expect to. It's like the button turns the car into a hovercraft.
Let go of drift and you instantly get grip back. It's weird and totally unrealistic but works really well.

So it's not like a Saints Row or a GTA at all. It's an arcadey shooting game you play with three characters at once. It doesn't offer a lot besides combat but the combat is really good.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 am

I saw some new gameplay of Resident Evil 2 remake today. Guess what, Rabid? Your laser sight made it into the game. No shitty crosshairs gameplay for you, broheim.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems that it only applies to one specific handgun at the moment, unless you can actually remove the laser sight and use it on other guns, impossible to tell right now.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:59 am

It's funny because even RE ripoffs like dead space understood the value of the laser sight. But RE6 and Evil Within, both direct offsprings of RE4's design and team, didn't understand at all.

RE5 on PC also defaulted to crosshairs IIRC.

Sure, you can enable the laser in options in RE6, but there shouldn't be an option to change it. The aiming being slightly imprecise is the only aspect of RE horror that has survived. Especially now that weighted drops remove ammo scarcity.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/17 ... 2/76736620

These gamefags talk about it more here. Modern RE games are so fucking easy (aside from bullshit instant death qtes) that it's shameful they removed the only aspect of RE4 that added challenge.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Dead Space had the best user interface I know of. More games should've ripped that aspect off.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Has anyone played any of the syphon filter games? I remember trying omega strain ages ago and hating it, but I recently saw some footage of the old ps1 games and they seem well ahead of their time. I mean, MGS was top-down during this period and people called it revolutionary, but these syphon filter games have full 3d shooting in third person with a mix of stealth and gunplay. Not sure if they hold up or not but they seemed ok. Dialogue was less shitty than I was expecting too.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Not only do I don't think that they hold up, they weren't good in their time either. Syphon filter was more often used to reference that it was one of the first to do 3rd person in that way than it was recommended for people to actually play. They aren't super shit or something, just not really worth checking out.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Well, good to know. I always wonder about old ps1 era games I might have missed. The ps1 had a lot of good games on it.
RAPEMAN wrote:

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Post by mad bum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 pm

I remember playing syphon filter multiplayer with my friend and you could throw grenades with homing precision, was as lame as proximity mines in goldeneye.
SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 am

I've been revisiting the gears of war series lately.

So far I'd summarize them like this:

Gears 1: Has the essence of what makes these games fun. Not enough weapons but otherwise has strong level design and a minimum of bullshit.

Gears 2: Sucks. Way too many shitty vehicle or turret sections. I don't enjoy gears vehicles or turrets. The part of gears I like is the on-foot shooting and this game has the least of that. Some of the weapon tweaks are nice but who cares when you consider gears 3 exists.

Gears 3: The apex. Tons of weapons that all kick ass, loads of different enemy types, better level design and the game is just fucking fun. They even injected some color into the world.

I've also been playing army of two: 40th day. If you like gears, it's a great gearslike with contemporary weapons. The partner AI is way better than gears and you can issue your buddy orders.

Also I just wanna say that Gears is a super fun series to go back to and the games have held up amazingly well. Gears 3 holds up the best but Gears 1 is still extremely playable. It's funny to remember how pissed off people got about the Gears world and story. Going back to it, it's a pretty typical warhammer 40k grimdark world. Nothing stands out as especially chauvinistic or stupid. The games are surprisingly self-aware at times too.
RAPEMAN wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 am

Didn't they get embarassed after Gears 3 and tried to be more "deep" with their plot?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette