People love complaining, right? Complain about everything (life, health, bad luck, random shit etc)

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: People love complaining, right? Complain about everything (life, health, bad luck, random shit etc)

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:59 am

Guest wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:46 pm
But how feasible is a Linux fork?
If you've got "no meritocracy!" tumblr faggots on one side and people that care about what they code on the other, I'd say it's very feasible. Nobody ever liked Microsoft and yet most people use their OS so why should morality have an influence over at Linux?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: People love complaining, right? Complain about everything (life, health, bad luck, random shit etc)

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:46 pm

I got the Brook Universal Fighting Board yesterday that I wanted to put into my Hitbox. I knew that I had to solder some wires onto the PCB because the cable that is inbuilt doesn't connect via USB type B. I wanted to do that yesterday evening but my father can't find his soldering iron.
While tinkering around a bit, I noticed that on the shitty PCB has every single button's ground wire go directly into a plug. The Brook PCB however expects the face buttons, the side buttons and the directional buttons to be daisy chained together for ground. So what I had to do is take the ground wires and turn them into three daisy chains. One with three, one with four and one with eight contacts.

So I went and got myself a soldering station, shrink tubing, solder, a wire deisolator, all that good shit and got to work.
Can I solder? Bitch, I own a pinball machine. You HAVE to be able to solder if you've got one. I replaced the entire flipper assembly including coils. I actually grew to like soldering.
Building those daisy chains was a lot of fun. I screwed all the wires into the PCB and only had one task left: Soldering the USB wires onto the PCB.

The cable the box came with is a curious one. It has a Playstation and a USB plug. I learned that I had to use the Black, White, Green and Red cable of the USB. That's not what I have. I have White and Black, very light Pink and very, very light purple.
I've tested around a bit and while I do get the PCB to turn on when I'm assuming that Pink is Red and Purple is Green, the computer only gives me "Unknown Device".
I'll get a USB to USB type B cable tomorrow. I thought I could use it proper today. I have the worst luck.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm pretty much out of ideas here. I got a USB A to USB B cable. Plugged that shit in and everything worked perfectly, for about twenty minutes. Then it stopped working.
The longer it was unplugged, the longer it works. When it stops working and I re-plug the USB, it doesn't work at all, wait a bit longer and I get unknown device, wait about a minute and it works but only for about 30 seconds, wait longer and it'll work for about ten to twenty minutes. This is always the same, no matter if I actually use it, just have it sitting there or even have it sitting there opened.

So I was thinking heat could be the problem. Just to make sure, I've re-done the ground wire daisy chains in a different, better fashion with all new connectors. Doesn't seem to matter, since I get the same effect. USB port doesn't matter either.
I get the same result when connecting to the Switch so it's not just a PC issue. What is, though, is that I can't update the firmware, since the software just doesn't recognise me plugging the fucker in at all and just sits there waiting.

I'll give it one more go tomorrow. I'll get all new wiring and crimp everything with new connectors, completely foregoing any soldering. I'll also get another USB A to USB B cable just in case that's the source of error. If that doesn't work, I don't know what the fuck's up with the thing. When it worked it worked wonderfully. As it is, it's impossible to use, though.

The behaviour is the same in all console modes as well. 360, Xboner, PS3/4 all get recognised correctly at first.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:54 pm

No idea man. You know more about this shit than I do.

I got RE5 complete on a steam sale and plugged in my ps4 controller. It auto-detected it "switched to controller" so I figured everything was fine right?

I go into the game and shit is COMPLETELY fucked up. No option for custom button mappings. They mapped confirm to circle like I'm a fucking nip and the right analog stick is totally borked. Pressing right on the camera stick moves the camera UP. No idea how this shit got fucked up so bad. There's no option in the game to change these mappings so it looks like I'll have to download something and mod the game. FUCK
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:40 pm

See, what fucks me off is that the issue is always the same. Normally, I'd say I fucked up the ground connection somewhere. That's still a possibility despite my better second solder job with new parts. But then again, if I've built a short, fucking around with the connectors should cause a disconnect as well. It doesn't. It's like it's set on a timer that recovers the longer it hasn't been plugged in.
So then temperature comes to mind. Nothing is warm, though. Having it opened up next to the window in the cold vs. closed on my lap doesn't change anything either.
That fucking disconnect isn't even immediate. The buttons stop working as I've described above, the "USB got unplugged" sound comes waaaaay later. Two or three minutes later. It's then "unknown USB device" for a second and then fully gone. Right now it's just sitting on the floor and during the time I wrote this it re-connected three times for a second as "unknown device" again with an immediate disconnect.

I managed to flash the firmware just now. Doesn't change anything. I also seem to be the only one with this exact problem.
I'm more and more thinking that my soldering isn't the problem at all.
The USB cable is a 2.0 but plugged in a 3.0 port. The cable may not be able to deliver enough electricity. The circuitry aught to get at least a bit more warm when it's plugged in, which with copper means the resistance gets higher. That could just be enough to drop the voltage below the threshold of what the PCB requires. I've read the suggestion of using USB 3.0 ports a lot so maybe the cable just can't keep up.

The failure is just too fucking linear to be a random short.
SpoilerShow
You learn a whole lot about fucking with circuits if you've been an early adopter of vaping, like me. Back in ye olde days we didn't have regulated battery carriers. So you had to know what you are doing unless you want to short that shit and risk having a lithium-ion pipe bomb in your hands because you've built a circuit that fires the full 5 amps the battery can put out into it's ass, which handles 1.5 amp at best. Nice way to lose a hand.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Vaping is the Vocaloid of smoking.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 pm

I've been doing it before there were commercial vapes of any kind, liquid tanks and soyboys. I don't let cucks dictate what I do.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Reddit "quarantined" a shit-ton of reddits yesterday, including theredpill and several conspiracy boards. It basically means you can't find them through search but have to know the address to find it, at which point you get a cuck message/warning. Its the first step toward deletion, really. Funny enough, they didn't have the balls to quarantine The Don.