Telltale Games Shutting Down

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.

Re: Telltale Games Shutting Down

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:20 pm

mad bum wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:06 am
You guys are getting BTFO.
Episodes three AND four. Okay. Go ahead boys, don't consolidate whatever workload you have left now that all your money is gone. Just keep doing business as usual, that isn't why you're bankrupt.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:01 pm

The show must go one. For one of gaming's greatest feminist icons.
Guest wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:11 pm
I think some of the ports of 999 skip over the puzzles, like the iOS version.
Its not uncommon for VNs to have real gameplay. A lot of them are RPGs, some have minigames. VNDB counts fightan games with VN story modes in their database, like Blazblue.
But that's, like, not even the main attraction of BB. And I'm 99% certainl ArcSys only made the story mode a VN because that was the cheapest possible option to tell their needlessly confusing shounenshit story with a whole dictionary of special snowflake nouns and terms that would make a White Wolf fantard jizz their pants.

And I think Hatoful Boyfriend has a JRPG-style optional superboss, which all VNs should strive for.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Old Black Man

Post by Old Black Man » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:40 pm

And somehow we still can’t get a proper goddamned Legacy of Kain game to finish off that series...

Clem can eat shit, Kain FT Fucking W! Vae Victis!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Old Black Man wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
Something else that's wonderful about RE4 is the level progression. It all kind of makes logical sense when you think about it. Logical sense in an RE game? It's more likely than you might think! But also, not having Umbrella keikaku memes in the game meant the developers were free to design around gameplay.
SpoilerShow
Consider:

The first place you visit is the town and that makes total sense because Leon is looking for the president's daughter who supposedly disappeared around that area.

The town is full of plagas bastardos, but you find the prez's bitch and you all run away with Token Spaniard. The villagers literally chase you into the castle, so it's not like you had a choice. It's an entire farming village of presumably thousands vs you. I think they only stop chasing you when you enter the castle because they know who the castellan is.

From the castle, you're mostly just trying to leave with Ashley. You solve puzzles and shit because you can't go out the way you came in, so you need to go through the castle. This part has some contrived puzzles but that's RE in general and it's still fun. In the castle, we see a lot of different variations on the plagas and the different tiers of the Los Illuminados cult. This castle is basically to the plaga cult what vatican city is to catholics.

Then you fall down the trap door and almost die, and end up in the sewers. Makes sense because the sewers are under the castle. The sewers eventually lead out to the mines which ALSO makes sense because we know the Plagas comes from fossils that were dug up out of the earth. So it makes sense Salazar is mining for more of them and the reason the villager enemy type returns (instead of cultists or soldiers) is because Salazar is using the ganados to mine more plagas. That's probably why they were enslaved in the first place. One assumes they also dig up ore and valuable minerals to sell so Saddler has more money for guns too. ALSO, this explains why some of the villagers have dynamite!

After this I think you get on a boat and go to an island, which seems like the most contrived level progression of the entire game. It's not terrible but I believe Leon is only going there because Ashley was flown there by a novistador? Or maybe something else happens. Don't recall. Anyway, the island is the least reasonable leap of logic since it's not connected to anything, but at least the level itself is fun and full of good scare moments. This is the Umbrella lab: Saddler Edition. Also the soldiers show up because this is where Saddler is training his army. Most of the plagas here have pretty decent weaponry and armor and it really shows that it's at least PLAUSIBLE his army could go to war on a small scale and do ok.

Anyway tl;dr RE4 is super good. People say the game's story is bad and cheesy and the cutscenes are, but the story itself and how shit is arranged makes a lot of sense even compared to the other good RE games.

And the story of RE5 would have been MUCH better if they had taken out all the Umbrella corporation bullshit. I mean, they're still using the fucking plagas! But no, capcom just had to bring in ouroboro-realis and a bunch of random b.o.w.s from previous games because raisins. The ouroboros virus looks fucking stupid too. The plagas were easy to understand and looked sick. Even the RE5 versions look fine.
I concur, that is an excellent synopsis.

Ugh I hate Ouroborus, to me it started the trend of what I refer to as “shit monsters” in the franchise. We went from really solid designs across the board to generic slimy ooze monsters after that. And I agree that the plagas are awesome, shame they didn’t do much with them after that.

The C Virus stuff from 6 had some cool ideas. I liked how the ganado analogue in that game would spontaneous mutate when different body parts were damaged and liked the chrysalis concept a lot. Shame it was in such a lackluster game, although I think 6 has some merits. Just not enough to make it shine.

My biggest gripe with 5 was how anticlimactic (((Wesker’s))) story ended. I think they blew their load by making him so OP and his entire plan felt rushed and half baked. I think 6 should have been his thing and not Carla’s forgettable ass.
RE6 did improve a lot of things. The controls were finally standard action controls, which is fine since the gameplay is action oriented as well. The counter system (WHEN IT WORKS) is a nice idea. The concept of enemies mutating where you shoot them is interesting. But I ultimately still dislike the game because a lot of the mutations were just instant kills and that's the game as a whole tbh. Most of the challenges are just "do this or die instantly. Then there were the glitches and some lackluster levels. I can understand why some people like RE6 despite its flaws but I DON'T understand fuckboys like GamingBritShow who try to argue it's a legitimately great game. And although I praised the game's counter system, it creates retarded situations where fags sit around doing nothing, waiting for the r1 counter prompt so they can get an instant kill/disable shot, rather than actually shooting the fucking guns. Oh and the prompts sometimes glitch and don't show up at all.

Also the multiple campaigns are kind of a mess as a concept. I would have rather had 2 campaigns with extraneous characters removed and the length added on in the form of new levels and areas. Some characters, like Piers and Helena, are just there and could have been removed. The fake ada story is retarded as fuck too.

Wesker's final battle in RE5 is stupid as fuck. I actually love the first fight with him. "Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I have to play with you."

It's a great setup honestly. And I'm okay with the 2nd fight where you have to puzzle out how to inject him. But the volcano shit is JoJo's Bizarre Biohazard. :lol:

The other RE5 bosses are absolute shit. Big black blobs with a bunch of red balls. Terrible. And the stupid fucking bat creature. And turret sections. SHIT.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Old Black Man wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:40 pm
And somehow we still can’t get a proper goddamned Legacy of Kain game to finish off that series...

If anything, we'll get a walking sim reboot that is so Current Year it makes Twilight look like Hellsing. I can already picture Raziel with danger hair, talking about how he now identifies as female after losing his dick. Or Kain being Trump ("Make Nosgoth great again!").
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Old Black Man

Post by Old Black Man » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:19 pm
Old Black Man wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:40 pm

If anything, we'll get a walking sim reboot that is so Current Year it makes Twilight look like Hellsing. I can already picture Raziel with danger hair, talking about how he now identifies as female after losing his dick. Or Kain being Trump ("Make Nosgoth great again!").
😂 Don’t do that to me man, my ol bum ticker can only take so much these days. That is a chilling thought though.

That’s what I love about LoK, how vampires are truly disgusting monsters and they devolve to be less human and more beastly over time.

Old Black Man

Post by Old Black Man » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 pm

rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:54 pm
Old Black Man wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 pm
rabidtictac wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am
Something else that's wonderful about RE4 is the level progression. It all kind of makes logical sense when you think about it. Logical sense in an RE game? It's more likely than you might think! But also, not having Umbrella keikaku memes in the game meant the developers were free to design around gameplay.
SpoilerShow
Consider:

The first place you visit is the town and that makes total sense because Leon is looking for the president's daughter who supposedly disappeared around that area.

The town is full of plagas bastardos, but you find the prez's bitch and you all run away with Token Spaniard. The villagers literally chase you into the castle, so it's not like you had a choice. It's an entire farming village of presumably thousands vs you. I think they only stop chasing you when you enter the castle because they know who the castellan is.

From the castle, you're mostly just trying to leave with Ashley. You solve puzzles and shit because you can't go out the way you came in, so you need to go through the castle. This part has some contrived puzzles but that's RE in general and it's still fun. In the castle, we see a lot of different variations on the plagas and the different tiers of the Los Illuminados cult. This castle is basically to the plaga cult what vatican city is to catholics.

Then you fall down the trap door and almost die, and end up in the sewers. Makes sense because the sewers are under the castle. The sewers eventually lead out to the mines which ALSO makes sense because we know the Plagas comes from fossils that were dug up out of the earth. So it makes sense Salazar is mining for more of them and the reason the villager enemy type returns (instead of cultists or soldiers) is because Salazar is using the ganados to mine more plagas. That's probably why they were enslaved in the first place. One assumes they also dig up ore and valuable minerals to sell so Saddler has more money for guns too. ALSO, this explains why some of the villagers have dynamite!

After this I think you get on a boat and go to an island, which seems like the most contrived level progression of the entire game. It's not terrible but I believe Leon is only going there because Ashley was flown there by a novistador? Or maybe something else happens. Don't recall. Anyway, the island is the least reasonable leap of logic since it's not connected to anything, but at least the level itself is fun and full of good scare moments. This is the Umbrella lab: Saddler Edition. Also the soldiers show up because this is where Saddler is training his army. Most of the plagas here have pretty decent weaponry and armor and it really shows that it's at least PLAUSIBLE his army could go to war on a small scale and do ok.

Anyway tl;dr RE4 is super good. People say the game's story is bad and cheesy and the cutscenes are, but the story itself and how shit is arranged makes a lot of sense even compared to the other good RE games.

And the story of RE5 would have been MUCH better if they had taken out all the Umbrella corporation bullshit. I mean, they're still using the fucking plagas! But no, capcom just had to bring in ouroboro-realis and a bunch of random b.o.w.s from previous games because raisins. The ouroboros virus looks fucking stupid too. The plagas were easy to understand and looked sick. Even the RE5 versions look fine.
I concur, that is an excellent synopsis.

Ugh I hate Ouroborus, to me it started the trend of what I refer to as “shit monsters” in the franchise. We went from really solid designs across the board to generic slimy ooze monsters after that. And I agree that the plagas are awesome, shame they didn’t do much with them after that.

The C Virus stuff from 6 had some cool ideas. I liked how the ganado analogue in that game would spontaneous mutate when different body parts were damaged and liked the chrysalis concept a lot. Shame it was in such a lackluster game, although I think 6 has some merits. Just not enough to make it shine.

My biggest gripe with 5 was how anticlimactic (((Wesker’s))) story ended. I think they blew their load by making him so OP and his entire plan felt rushed and half baked. I think 6 should have been his thing and not Carla’s forgettable ass.
RE6 did improve a lot of things. The controls were finally standard action controls, which is fine since the gameplay is action oriented as well. The counter system (WHEN IT WORKS) is a nice idea. The concept of enemies mutating where you shoot them is interesting. But I ultimately still dislike the game because a lot of the mutations were just instant kills and that's the game as a whole tbh. Most of the challenges are just "do this or die instantly. Then there were the glitches and some lackluster levels. I can understand why some people like RE6 despite its flaws but I DON'T understand fuckboys like GamingBritShow who try to argue it's a legitimately great game. And although I praised the game's counter system, it creates retarded situations where fags sit around doing nothing, waiting for the r1 counter prompt so they can get an instant kill/disable shot, rather than actually shooting the fucking guns. Oh and the prompts sometimes glitch and don't show up at all.

Also the multiple campaigns are kind of a mess as a concept. I would have rather had 2 campaigns with extraneous characters removed and the length added on in the form of new levels and areas. Some characters, like Piers and Helena, are just there and could have been removed. The fake ada story is retarded as fuck too.

Wesker's final battle in RE5 is stupid as fuck. I actually love the first fight with him. "Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I have to play with you."

It's a great setup honestly. And I'm okay with the 2nd fight where you have to puzzle out how to inject him. But the volcano shit is JoJo's Bizarre Biohazard. :lol:

The other RE5 bosses are absolute shit. Big black blobs with a bunch of red balls. Terrible. And the stupid fucking bat creature. And turret sections. SHIT.
Yeah one shot kill enemies need to fuck off and die. It was cool with Dr. Salvador, and at least in the classic games you usually had to have low health before an enemy could deliver a deathblow.

6 is a weird flawed game but I could never call it a great. It’s just too much of a mess. I agree with Wesker, volcano aside, the first battle with him was fantastic, and every bit of D.C. Douglas dialogue was menacing. Chris and Wesker deserved a proper showdown, and Jill needed to be a part of it. Lost in Nightmares but if they won. Shame Wesker didn’t have a cool mutation, a Tyrant like or something. He just turned into weird action figure complete with gimmick motion. All he needed was a lever on his back and he was golden.

I just hope when 8 rolls around everything is on track. 7 was an experiment, take what you learned from it and make the next game something great. 2 Remake looks like it’s taking some of the better elements from the entire series and putting it into a classic setting. As much as I want the series to progress forward, and while I do have my fears, I’m being optimistic and hopeful regarding the remake.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Old Black Man wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 pm
I’m being optimistic
Don't.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:19 pm

On a related note, I really, REALLY hope a new RE brings back weapon upgrading at merchants. If they're going to steal RE4's gimmick, they need to steal the best parts. Even RE5 had this, minus the merchant. Part of the fun of RE4 and RE5 is deciding what guns you're going to upgrade and which ones you'll just use and dump. And the choices are mostly meaningful since the weapons do have differences.

Even RE2 and RE3 had proto elements of this, because you had to decide what ammo to use vs what to hoard for bosses, and you could collect permanent upgrades to your weapons when playing as RE2 Leon and RE3 Jill. There are even sidegrades like the RE2 machine gun and straight downgrades like the bowgun that you still have to weigh against the rest of the game. For example, Leon A is the easiest version of RE2. So if you're playing Leon A first, do you leave the side pack and uzi for Claire? After all, Claire has almost no good weapons. Do you take the side pack for convenience and leave the uzi? Do you take both and fuck over Claire? You have to make these kinds of choices and they change every run. RE3 had scenarios too.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:11 pm

All this talk about RE has made me play the games again and even checking out a few livestreams. It's hysterical watching kids trying to wrap their heads around tank controls and fixed camera angles. I can't talk too much shit though, I still fucking suck at fighting Nemesis outside the RPD. :/
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.