Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Rushy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 am

DC - Let's make a Harley Quinn movie!
Marvel - Let's make a Venom movie!

What is with this trend of taking characters completely out of context?
Mind you, I've never even read a comic with either character in it. But even a limited understanding of their characters makes it sound like a terrible idea.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 am

Rushy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 am
DC - Let's make a Harley Quinn movie!
Marvel - Let's make a Venom movie!

Mind you, I've never even read a comic with either character in it. But even a limited understanding of their characters makes it sound like a terrible idea.
Venom is Spider-Man's most popular enemy. Harley is second only to Joker as Batman's most popular enemy. Not really that hard to understand why they're getting their own movies.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:27 am

Not sure why Hollywood and network execs insist on making shows about the B characters. (Supergirl, James Gordan in Gotham, Krypton, etc.)
It doesnt even make good business sense. You do the main marketable characters first, then if a secondary one breaks out, then maybe they get their own series.

The Harley Quinn movie is gonna be her acting like the worst annoying parts of a chick-com for 2 hours. There's not enough depth to her character to make her stand alone, it'll just have a lot of pointless dialogue about family and random dance numbers.

At least the Venom movie might be about him vs. Carnage (good vs bad symbiote) or any other Marvel Villian that might test him to lose control.
It has potential ideas ... so of course they'll be ignored in favor of a terrible movie.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:45 am

Someone else think CGI gets worse and worse? xD

Just make a fucking suit. Watch Jurassic Park and see how the blending of real and fake is. It's 25 years and it still looks great
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:48 am

I think it might be because GCI is so easy and convenient these days that they get lazy. During the days of Jurassic Park, you probably had to pull off a lot of tricks to make this stuff look good. Nowadays studios just throw enough millions at the problem.
Rushy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 am
Tbf, just like how Venom got a solo career, Harely eventually split off from Joker and got her own comic line.

However, just like with Venom, it's a bit silly that she already starts off that way.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:48 am
Nowadays studios just throw enough millions at the problem.
And still manage to make it look like shit
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 am

I guarantee you they tease Carnage as the next villain... before losing millions and finally ending Sony's attempt at a shared universe. Venom himself looks great, but the movie around him looks so generic and bland and the director is the guy who did the aggressively average Gangster Squad. Love me some Michelle Williams running around in a skirt, but she isn't enough to make me pay for this blander than bland blandness.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Auli wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:45 am

Just make a fucking suit. Watch Jurassic Park and see how the blending of real and fake is. It's 25 years and it still looks great
CGI has killed movies more than anything else. Ready Player One was a jerky mess. You would think with Spielberg directing it would be better than the average Marvel movie, but the camera just swings and flies and twirls and turns upside down with no regard at all. Just utterly without class.

It's like the CG artists direct their own movie then slip it in during post-production or something. Nothing fits.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 pm
Auli wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:45 am

CGI has killed movies more than anything else. Ready Player One was a jerky mess. You would think with Spielberg directing it would be better than the average Marvel movie, but the camera just swings and flies and twirls and turns upside down with no regard at all. Just utterly without class.

It's like the CG artists direct their own movie then slip it in during post-production or something. Nothing fits.
Unlikely. Spielberg lost his creative spark years ago. Any movie he makes nowadays is, at best, very mediocre and forgettable. He'd need a miracle to turn around his woes.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 am
I guarantee you they tease Carnage as the next villain... before losing millions and finally ending Sony's attempt at a shared universe. Venom himself looks great, but the movie around him looks so generic and bland and the director is the guy who did the aggressively average Gangster Squad. Love me some Michelle Williams running around in a skirt, but she isn't enough to make me pay for this blander than bland blandness.
How the hell do you even make a Venom movie without having him debut in a Spiderman movie first? Everything about him is so firmly tied to Spiderman.

Venom is a combination of an alien goo monster who fused to Spiderman and picked up some of his powers and appearance and a dude who's deliberately a darker parallel to Peter Parker who tries to kill Spiderman while doing some vigilante work on the side. Take away Spiderman and it's not Venom. You just made a movie version of The Darkness.

At least Harley Quinn's basic concept isn't nearly as wrapped up in Batman: crazy girlfriend to a crazy crime lord.