Beers and Meads

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Beers and Meads

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:28 pm

I'm enjoying some Arcobräu Moos Mooser Liesl.

It's a Münchner Helles. Perfect for the BBQ today to quench the thirst and casually swig while shitposting.
It's on par with one of my favourite Münchner Helles, Erlbräu Erlefant.

Which has one of the best names ever.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:57 pm

That does look pretty badass. Sadly nowhere near the States that I know of.

I have an IT friend who swears by Spaten Optimator and now declares it the only alcohol he wants to drink ever. I'll admit that it's good, but a little on the heavy side. Sometimes I want something a bit lighter and smoother.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:57 pm
That does look pretty badass. Sadly nowhere near the States that I know of.
Maybe so, but I know a little bit about what euro hefe beers we get here in burgerland and you can find weihenstephaner, paulaner, konig ludwig and some other pretty nice ones. Black Boss is from poland, it's just bottled here.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:57 am

Münchner Hell aren't Weißbier, though. They are more like a Lager but with a bit more of a malt flavour. Like a lighter Bock or a more fair Märzen.
I really like the style. It's an easy going, refreshing beer that really goes with everything.

Spaten Optimator is a Doppelbock. Yeah, very heavy stuff and very satiating. It's like liquid Schwarzbrot and pretty much fulfilled the role. Monks used to brew those for fast times. It's easy to get through the day not eating anything when you get blasted on satiating, alcohol-heavy beer and then, with a real heavy buzz, feast on a rich offering of roasted pig and such. :lol:
It's winter beer. For summer and BBQ I avoid Bock. It's not as refreshing and standing in the fierce summer sun at the hot grill downing a 7%+ ABV beer is asking for trouble.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:30 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:57 am
Münchner Hell aren't Weißbier, though. They are more like a Lager but with a bit more of a malt flavour. Like a lighter Bock or a more fair Märzen.
I really like the style. It's an easy going, refreshing beer that really goes with everything.

Spaten Optimator is a Doppelbock. Yeah, very heavy stuff and very satiating. It's like liquid Schwarzbrot and pretty much fulfilled the role. Monks used to brew those for fast times. It's easy to get through the day not eating anything when you get blasted on satiating, alcohol-heavy beer and then, with a real heavy buzz, feast on a rich offering of roasted pig and such. :lol:
It's winter beer. For summer and BBQ I avoid Bock. It's not as refreshing and standing in the fierce summer sun at the hot grill downing a 7%+ ABV beer is asking for trouble.
My point was more that I know this specific type of beer I mentioned, and I can find imported ones in that style. I don't know the ones you're talking about but I've seen the Hell beers at stores. They're not common, but if you look around, you'd be surprised how many beers get imported and stocked at some random store in burgerland.

I've had doppelbocks but I don't remember enjoying them all that much. Not compared to a hefe, porter or even a decent lager.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Bock and especially Doppelbock isn't something every brewery gets right. It's fairly difficult to not overdo it in many ways. I've had many that I didn't like as well.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 am

I can believe it. I remember having some monk-style english beer one time. Can't remember what it was called. It was supposedly an old recipe and a very fancy brew, but I didn't care for it. I think it was a dunkel or doppelbock style.

Speaking of alcohol I don't like, I think I mentioned sake before. Anyone else had it? What did you think? I've yet to have some sake that didn't taste like total garbage. It tasted like box wine mixed with spoiled milk and twice as disgusting.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:28 am

Can't say I've had a large sampling size but I didn't like either of the two I had. I can't imagine there being good sake out there either. I think there's a good reason why it never spread outside of Japan and why whisky was such a massive success there since the 1900s when Santori brought it from the British isles.
I believe the main use for it these days is to make sushi rice.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:36 am

I had a small nip of whiskey the other day. It was just some cheap-ass Evan Williams, but I forgot how nice it is to drink neat. This is some $8 liquor you can buy. I know I spent at least 2-3 times that on the sake I tried that was garbage. There's even some nice value-priced brandies and shit around here.
RAPEMAN wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 am

Speaking of whisky and Japan, don't buy nip whisky. It's dramatically overpriced and has been for the last ten years. I can't find the specific Ralfy rant right now but he's pretty fed up with Nipland in that regard as well.
For what would get you a high-end bourbon or a really nice scotch you only get some NAS jap. If you want an age stated and maybe other fancy things, you'll end up with a price that can get you two independent bottlings of scotch with absolutely all the bells and whistles.
Save your money and don't give it to the yellow yid.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!