Spirits

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: Spirits

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:21 am

So, alcohol by volume isn't alcohol by volume. Currently having three cask strength whiskies here that becomes apparent.
Caol Ila @ 59,8% does well with one and a half teaspoon of water on a good dram.
Mac Duff @ 54% can handle about five drops.
Dailuaine @ 57,2% does best at about five drops as well.

When I say the Mac Duff "can handle" those few drops I mean it. It's a very simple whisky at heart. Malt, caramel, some Sherry wood and a hint of citrus is all it's ever given to me. It does best neat as is. The alcohol is fairly tame in it and it's got a real sticky and sweet caramel quality to it that way. Water brings out more of the citrus, pushing it more towards grapefruit, but totally kills the caramel over time. Add water and in half an hour you've got no caramel left if you added any water.
Left without water I get mint and anise seed eventually, maybe mint candy canes. Also honey. None of those with water.

The Dailuaine needs a bit of water and especially time. It takes a good ten minutes in the glass to give interesting notes in smell and a few drops of water with a lid on the glass and another ten minutes to really wake up. Rich, zesty apple comes around and it gets a creamy quality.

The Caol Ila straight up needs water and plenty of it. The aroma is the deepest stuff ever right away. But with a good, generous spoon of water the peat smoke separates a bit from the Sherry barrel and after half an hour it's the most delicious drink I've ever had. I can't explain the taste, really. Closest I manage is peat plus the typical Sherry cask taste of a thick and sweet christmas cake with dried plums married with strawberries from a rum pot. It goes together like it's meant to be that way. Good thing I ordered another bottle of it as there are only three casks of that stuff. I'll hold the second bottle back for a long, long time.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 pm

Laphroaig put a cocktail recipe in their newsletter so I thought I'd try it.
Fresh mint
2 parts Laphroaig 10yr
2 parts lemon juice
1 part sugar syrup
Stirred and strained into a high ball with ice, mint and an eight of a lime, filled up with soda water.

Pretty neat and refreshing. I used a shaker instead and with slow shaking and rubbing up the mint leafs a bit it tastes pretty damn good. The peat tang works wonderfully in it. That is, if you like peated whisky. If you don't you'll hate it. Could work with tequila as well.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm

What a fucking journey today to get a dram.
There's a nice whisky store in my city and I decided to get a nice peaty whisky today. As I walk through the rainy city and marvel about the desolate state it's in with all those closed stores, I finally arrive only to read a sign that says
"We moved.
<--120m
"
so I walk back in the direction I came from. I haven't seen the new location on my merry way. I also didn't find it "<--120m", nor closer or further away, nor in any of the side alleys. I wasn't able to find it at all.

So I drove to a beer speciality store I wanted to go to anyway and picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr. I never actually had a Lagavulin before. I like it a lot! It's sweeter than I anticipated and, of course, not as peaty as a Laphroaig but very nice and balanced.
That knocks another Islay whisky off my list. So far, Caol Ila is up there as a favourite distillery together with Laphroaig. Bruichladdich is a close runner up. Bunnahabhain is okay. I didn't like any Ardbeg I ever had.
Lagavulin could become another favourite. Grabbing an independent bottling is something I'll make a quest of mine.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:58 am

Stolichnaya may be a living legend but it's overrated.
It's fine, like pretty much all grain vodkas, but it's a bit too sweet. If you told me it was made from sugar beets, salad and cucumbers I'd believer you.
The price is fair and I think it'd make a good mixer but pure I am not the biggest fan.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:10 am

I'm taking notes.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:43 pm

Moe Bitches wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:10 am
I'm taking notes.
This is a thread for spirits, not spooks.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:18 pm

sensible_chuckle.gif
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Bobito

Post by Bobito » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 am

The only thing that I’ve been drinking these days is fernet+coca cola, just in different concentrations.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 am

Fernet Branca? Some say it has magical powers. :lol:
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!