Star Dreck

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Star Dreck

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 am
To be fair, Gordon Ramsay fails to save a lot of those restaurants. If your business is failing so badly that you need to call in Gordon Ramsay, chances are not even Gordon Ramsay can save you
Not to mention that calling some TV channel to record your misery (and ineptitude) in the first place speaks volumes about your qualifications as a restaurant owner rational human being.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Everything after TOS is honestly pretty horrible. I remember watching some Next Gen reruns in college and getting completely pissed over how many of them ended (like the one with the evil Moriarty--just delete the program!!!).
The movies were hilarious because they tried to be action movies when the actors were fatter than ever, and they kept wrecking the Enterprise.
Nemesis still ranks up there for me as one of the greatest comedies of all time.

DS9 was boring until Sisko went full on crazy black man, and even then I didn't watch because Babylon 5 and then Farscape were on.
Voyager was great for all the wrong reasons--nobody respected Janeway, and they all were just screwing around in space without a Federation to reprimand them. Tom Paris is the 2nd greatest Starfleet officer of all time (behind Kirk).
But I didn't watch that much either, only when it was on UPN before Smackdown.

I wanted to like Enterprise but even Bakula at his best was clearly phoning it in.
And you know Discovery is bad when ever McFarlane can pull a relatively better series out of his ass.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Martin Hamlisch

Post by Martin Hamlisch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Only good Enterprise was when they did that dark universe stuff and the two women turned into half-naked ultra-skanks

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 pm

That two-parter's my favourite Star Trek ever, not even kidding. I live for Hitler Bakula
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:41 am

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm
Everything after TOS is honestly pretty horrible.
My ranking of the shows is a pretty boring one: TOS>TNG>DS9>Voyager>Enterprise>JJ Trek>Discovery.

The franchise just seemed to get worse and worse over the years until there was nothing left but complete crap (aka Discovery).

I kind of tapped out during Voyager. I missed an entire season when I was living in Japan and I didn't really care. I've only seen a handful of Enterprise episodes. And I saw the first episode of Discovery and noped out faster than Warp 10.

And I don't get the internet's championing DS9 as the best Trek series. I don't know what they're smoking. Yes, there were some great episodes, and the The Dominion were pretty cool villains. But did people just forget all the other shit? All the boring Bajoran mysticism and politics? All that crap with The Maquis that was shoved in there just to set up Voyager? Transgender Quark? Baseball game against the Vulcans? Vic Fontane and his stupid nightclub?
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 am

But DS9 was DARK

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:41 am
Tony Schiavone wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm
Everything after TOS is honestly pretty horrible.
My ranking of the shows is a pretty boring one: TOS>TNG>DS9>Voyager>Enterprise>JJ Trek>Discovery.

The franchise just seemed to get worse and worse over the years until there was nothing left but complete crap (aka Discovery).

I kind of tapped out during Voyager. I missed an entire season when I was living in Japan and I didn't really care. I've only seen a handful of Enterprise episodes. And I saw the first episode of Discovery and noped out faster than Warp 10.

And I don't get the internet's championing DS9 as the best Trek series. I don't know what they're smoking. Yes, there were some great episodes, and the The Dominion were pretty cool villains. But did people just forget all the other shit? All the boring Bajoran mysticism and politics? All that crap with The Maquis that was shoved in there just to set up Voyager? Transgender Quark? Baseball game against the Vulcans? Vic Fontane and his stupid nightclub?
I've never seen DS9 and I'm not sure I will for a long time yet - the whole concept of a Star Trek show set on a space station just sounds like discount Babylon 5. If TREK is in your name, go fucking trek.

TOS > TNG > ENT > VOY > JJ Trek > DS9 > Discovery

The original show's fantastic, Next Generation is very enjoyable, I have a soft spot for Enterprise since that was the first one I saw, Voyager's basically the fast food version of Next Generation and I did kinda like the 2009 film, but not the other two Abrams flicks.
I did check out a few episodes of Discovery, but could never get onboard with it - no interesting characters and way too much focus on Burnham, who's a self-righteous asshole. Also, seems to be leaning way too heavily on fan service. Enterprise had a lot of callbacks too, but at least that show actually built a reasonable story on them and it wasn't just "hey, remember the original pilot with that other captain?"
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Cuckara

Post by Cuckara » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:14 pm

>"I've never seen DS9 and I'm not sure I will for a long time yet"
>includes DS9 in the ranking
The fuck?

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 pm

I was about to say that. The actual fuck, Rushy?

(Also it's really not that different from the other shows. It's just that weird shit comes to them instead of the other way around most of the time.)
Liar Revealed wrote:
Every Trek show has a couple stinker episodes. Can't be avoided with so many seasons.

Dunno about everyone else's opinions, but what sets DS9 apart is the overarching narrative (though that can be a bad thing if you don't care about it). It also portrays a part of space far away from the usual Federation utopia and features a lot of morally ambiguous characters (outside of the Dominion, at least).

(Also it has probably more Ferengi stuff in it than every other show, which is always a plus.)
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:10 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 pm
I was about to say that. The actual fuck, Rushy?

(Also it's really not that different from the other shows. It's just that weird shit comes to them instead of the other way around most of the time.)
Liar Revealed wrote:
Every Trek show has a couple stinker episodes. Can't be avoided with so many seasons.

Dunno about everyone else's opinions, but what sets DS9 apart is the overarching narrative (though that can be a bad thing if you don't care about it). It also portrays a part of space far away from the usual Federation utopia and features a lot of morally ambiguous characters (outside of the Dominion, at least).

(Also it has probably more Ferengi stuff in it than every other show, which is always a plus.)
The Deep Space 9 Ferengi stuff is actually good, while in a lot of the other series it was... not. Except when the Ferengi get woke towards the end. That part was obnoxious. DS9 generally did some cool stuff with the aliens. They're all basically humans but with one aspect exaggerated, which is kind of the classic Trek approach to alien races.