Star Dreck

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Star Dreck

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 pm

The Search for Cock is pretty much a feature-length excuse as to why Spock didn't actually die.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 pm

The special edition cut of The Motion Picture is pretty good. Sadly, it's only on an out-of-print DVD. But there's rumors that they're creating a Blu-ray version soon. They cut out a lot of the boring bullshit and fixed some special effects.
I like that movie, mostly for the trippy effects and the 70s cheese.

Star Trek 6 was pretty good. There was some stuff that seemed off that bothered me a little.
TNG established that the Enterprise-C were the ones that established peace with the Klingons, but the Enterprise-A crew basically does this here decades before that.

Also, this movie features a Klingon Bird-of-Prey that can fire when cloaked. This kind of tech doesn't exist even in TNG era. I guess we're supposed to believe this was their only ship like this, and that the Klingons forgot how to build them? Maybe all the designers were on board and had the only blueprints with them?

Feh. Little continuity gaffes like these bugged the hell out of me, but they seem like nothing now compared to Kurtzman's crap.
お前はもう死んでいる。

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:46 pm

My guilty(?) pleasure is enjoying all six original trek films, even the odd number ones that the media says we're supposed to hate. I don't see anything wrong with "The Search for Spock" and have no idea why it's labeled as "bad".
V truly is unwatchable Discovery-tier garbage. The parallels are striking, making something that barely resembles the Star Trek everyone was familiar with and even pulling a sibling of Spock's out of their asses 30 years before STD.

III is good. No one ever shit on it until the "odd numbered Trek" meme from Clerks entered pop culture. Chrisopher Lloyd is awesome, the score ties II for best in the series (though its pretty much the same tbh), and it has some of the best model work in the entire franchise.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 pm

da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:13 pm
V truly is unwatchable Discovery-tier garbage.
Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley *existing* in that movie alone puts it above Discovery. At least it's actually them and not a bunch of nobodies with terrible personalities.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Also, this movie features a Klingon Bird-of-Prey that can fire when cloaked. This kind of tech doesn't exist even in TNG era. I guess we're supposed to believe this was their only ship like this, and that the Klingons forgot how to build them? Maybe all the designers were on board and had the only blueprints with them?
Actually the bad guys in Nemesis had a Reman Warbird (which actually looks more like a super-sized Bird-of-Prey largely made out of spikes and blades) that could fire while cloaked. Think that fucker even had shields on while doing so, which is a bit bullshit.

The thing with these cloaking devices is that they gobble up energy like crazy. The Bird-of-Prey from Final Frontier still managed to keep its weapons juiced up while cloaked, but the shields where down, which can get pretty ugly pretty fast if things get ugly (as happened in the movie thanks to the plasma exhaust or something).

Besides going "The writers didn't want to deal with ships that could fire while staying cloaked", One could argue that cloaking devices in the following decades had focused more on being harder to detect with technobabble instead of keeping both the cloak and the weapons online, because you'd actually need to keep all of that and the shields on to avoid being some kind of invisible glass cannon.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Rushy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 pm
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
V truly is unwatchable Discovery-tier garbage.
Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley *existing* in that movie alone puts it above Discovery. At least it's actually them and not a bunch of nobodies with terrible personalities.
Yeah, I agree with that.
I knew that Paramount really loved 4 and wanted 5 to be "funny" too. Like they were going to have Spock still swearing like in the 20th century. If you read the novelization or the comic, you'll see this. Thankfully they cut almost all of that out except for the "damn you sir, you will try" line.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:05 pm

da PAC Nigguh wrote:
V truly is unwatchable Discovery-tier garbage. The parallels are striking, making something that barely resembles the Star Trek everyone was familiar with and even pulling a sibling of Spock's out of their asses 30 years before STD.
I feel that's a little unfair. V is bad but thanks to Insurrection, Nemesis, the three JJ Trek films, Discovery and now Picard it's not even top five worst Star Treks any more.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm

I've always thought the 2009 Trek gets a bit of a bad rep for no reason. It's a big aesthetic change, but I think the actors did a good job(except Karl Urban's terrible Kelley impersonation) and it's overall a fine popcorn flick. It definitely had a far better pace than a lot of the previous Trek films, which often felt like elongated episodes.

I also appreciate that Abrams put in an effort to make sure he didn't piss off the fans unlike Kurtzman, and made it a separate canon where he can do whatever he wants. It's just a shame that Into Darkness was a retread and Beyond fell flat.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:05 pm
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
I feel that's a little unfair. V is bad but thanks to Insurrection, Nemesis, the three JJ Trek films, Discovery and now Picard it's not even top five worst Star Treks any more.
2009 onward I won't even recognize as Trek films if ranking them. They're the equivalent of CDi Zelda games.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:07 pm

I'm not stone cold cynical. It's just that Trek was never perfect. You always had the occasional overly campy or even terrible episodes. TNG's entire first and most of the second season are pretty rough as well. Movies get somewhat of a pass, too.
Not everything has to be taken for 100% established lore all the fucking time. That's the kinda shit Soy Wars fans and especially Wookiepedianiggers needed to understand ages ago but never did.
"But you can't just ignore the bad episodes and movies!" Yes, you can. The writers do it so you can do so as well. There's a reason why nobody ever asked Spock later on about the shit that was going on in "Spock's Brain". Just enjoy the episode as the trashy "so bad it's good" stuff it is and move on.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm
2009 onward I won't even recognize as Trek films if ranking them. They're the equivalent of CDi Zelda games.
Same goes for the TV shows.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!