Horror as an allegory

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
User avatar
Kugelfisch
Supreme Gentleman
Posts: 18451
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I dislike people overthinking Lovecraft. He's very simple to understand. He loved New England and it's landscape, thought of himself more as a European noble, didn't hate niggers but didn't consider them actual people but rather creatures approaching humans and everything Asian, Egyptian or Arabian was evil voodoo magic shit to him. He was very much a man of his time.
RedLine wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:21 am
Marzie desperately wants to feel ProJared's cock and everyone directly involved in the IN universe is an insane mess.
DHI.txt

User avatar
Guest

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 pm

I dislike people overthinking fiction and authors in general.
But then we can't have great YouTube kahntent like Game Theory without it.

User avatar
ban
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 pm
Location: Banana Islands, Butthort Street 666
Contact:

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by ban » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 pm

You say that as if it's a bad thing. :D
Kugelfisch wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:23 pm
I dislike people overthinking Lovecraft. He's very simple to understand. He loved New England and it's landscape, thought of himself more as a European noble, didn't hate niggers but didn't consider them actual people but rather creatures approaching humans and everything Asian, Egyptian or Arabian was evil voodoo magic shit to him. He was very much a man of his time.
Not anymore because clearly, he was the super laycist outsider while every other person at the time was the super enlightened globalist who could never hurt them magical negros and their vast knowledge. :roll:

Funny he considers Egyptian and Arabian shit as voodoo, because their "religious" practices often were just that at their core but people tend to forget these because of what they offered the world, pre-mudslimifcation.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!

User avatar
Kugelfisch
Supreme Gentleman
Posts: 18451
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 pm

ban wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Not anymore because clearly, he was the super laycist outsider while every other person at the time was the super enlightened globalist who could never hurt them magical negros and their vast knowledge. :roll:

Funny he considers Egyptian and Arabian shit as voodoo, because their "religious" practices often were just that at their core but people tend to forget these because of what they offered the world, pre-mudslimifcation.
His opinion was very much Victorian Era thinking. Everything not from Europe was woowoo occult magik to evil deities. Fascinating, maybe with something to them but definitely unholy and below civilized people.
RedLine wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:21 am
Marzie desperately wants to feel ProJared's cock and everyone directly involved in the IN universe is an insane mess.
DHI.txt

User avatar
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 14909
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Dude was just too much of a virgin to go elephant hunting in India with the gentlemen's club chads. So he scribbled up a bunch of hentai monsters which even lower-tier virgins saw as the holy gospel, instead of coming up with their own hentai material.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Cucked in the name of Soy, Ye not complicit.

User avatar
CIANIgger
Supreme Shitposter
Posts: 4915
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by CIANIgger » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:07 pm

SpoilerShow
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm
If I had to name my #1 problem with most media criticism these days it's this:

Too many people refuse to admit that they simply like trash.

There's nothing wrong with liking trash. As long as there have been stories told, people have loved trashy, sensational shit. I love a lot of trashy shit. I'm not above that. I see superhero movies. I got Netflix. I'm right there in the gutter with everyone else. Trash is eternal. It's always going to be around. By popular demand.

Today though, people really, really, really want to look smart. They need to look smart all of the time. And media criticism today is super democratic. You don't need to know shit to do it. You don't need to be interested in a wide variety of things. With Google and Wikipedia, you can fake your way into looking smart. So what you have today are lot of critics who aren't deep-diggers. (Think Chris Cuckmann, who seems to have seen three movies made pre-Star Wars and has little interest in anything that isn't mainstream studio product, but is still considered a movie expert by assholes.)

So, combine a) a shallow understanding of the media that they've chosen to talk about and b) an intense desire to look smart and insightful and what you get is...

A bunch of super-basic people who over-explain the trash they like until it sounds like something that's okay for today's "woke" person to enjoy.

That's why every blockbuster movie today is treated like a political statement. Merely being entertained isn't enough anymore. Marvel movies are ART and our time spent watching them is time well spent. Because we're SMART. That's what we tell ourselves, at least.

And there's nothing wrong with analyzing anything, Trash can be analyzed in all sorts of interesting and illuminating ways. It's just that we have way too many "critics" now trying way too hard to elevate the shit by way of bringing in their own agendas.
Preach.
SpoilerShow
Image

User avatar
Guest

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm
There's nothing wrong with liking trash.
Yes there is.
Lindsay's Liver wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm
I got Netflix..
Kill yourself.

User avatar
Rushy
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:52 am
Location: Don't ask if you don't want to know

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Rushy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:08 am

Guests need a spanking
Is there a better word than fuck? I don't think so. It means sex, fury and the confidence to tell another individual and/or organisation that they don't matter to you. It's basically Donald Trump in 4 letters. Fuck, the president.

User avatar
Guest

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:17 am

Rushy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:08 am
Guests need a spanking
Gay.

User avatar
Rushy
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:52 am
Location: Don't ask if you don't want to know

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Rushy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:38 am

For all I know, you're a woman
Is there a better word than fuck? I don't think so. It means sex, fury and the confidence to tell another individual and/or organisation that they don't matter to you. It's basically Donald Trump in 4 letters. Fuck, the president.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests