Horror as an allegory

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
ban

Horror as an allegory

Post by ban » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 am

Does anybody know where this idea comes from? Because I've been hearing normalniggers throw it around as if it is some kind of grand, high-thinking concept to explain why they fucking love decaying bodies and Dracula casually sucking some ladies off and I suspect it's a post-modern thing. I can't quite put my finger on it but beyond some old gothic horror novellas that I've read, I never quite got that feel and when people often want to bash old H.P. works they go "it's all laycist xenophobia" when the man was some weak-ass nerd that was scared of germs and people and was fascinated by the unknown, when talking about more modern horror. Shit, the only overt example that can ever give credence to this "idea" is the Silent Hill games, because they are about going and delving into the psyche of the main characters, in a purgatory-like landscape.

Seriously, who presented that kind of idea? Because I've been getting real furious with faggots trying to ruin the fun out a vǎrkolak for me.
Assiman wrote:You know who else is never wrong? Ban.
poonoo wrote:You just got ban'd!
He warned youShow

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:58 am

Allegory is 2D4U buillshjit for fags.
Except for The Prisoner, that one was okay.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Horror is a flexible genre, hence why many horror stories are allegorical. Writers can get away with being weird in a way that wouldn't work otherwise.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

ban

Post by ban » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Sure thing, I'm asking where the idea comes from. Anything can be allegorical even if the writter doesn't intend so due to subconcious reasons influcencing him, even in the case of a recipe book.
He warned youShow

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Where does what come from? The allegories themselves obviously come from the writer's own experiences, and horror is a genre that lets him express it.
It's just natural.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:01 pm

ban wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 am
Dracula casually sucking some ladies off and I suspect it's a post-modern thing.
It isn't. The sexual interpretation of Dracula has been there since the beginning. It basically stems from a misunderstanding Victorians had that sexual intercourse involved the transfer of blood.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:01 pm
ban wrote:
Dracula casually sucking some ladies off and I suspect it's a post-modern thing.
It isn't. The sexual interpretation of Dracula has been there since the beginning. It basically stems from a misunderstanding Victorians had that sexual intercourse involved the transfer of blood.
Oh, so that explains why Van Helsing is so insistent on only allowing people who love Lucy to give her a blood transfusion. I was wondering what that was about.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Doesn't he say something about pederasty after they all give her their blood and she still dies?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm
Doesn't he say something about pederasty after they all give her their blood and she still dies?
I'd have to check. English has changed so much since then that a lot of it flies over my head or is just difficult to remember because of the more magniloquent vocabulary.
Kugelfisch wrote:

ban

Post by ban » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:01 pm
ban wrote:
See, that's one of the things that I find hard to believe and why I gave the Varkolac example at my first post. Varkolacs, later known as Vrykolakes in greek folklore, are basically Castlevania's Dracula without the name of Dracula ; they are semi-immortal undead creatures, with glowing red eyes, pale skin, maybe silver blood, that can turn into mist, bats and wolfs under a full moon because of their arcane knowledge of magic and they hunt mortals by sucking their blood from their necks while having a weakness to water(later holy water with the advent of Orthodox Christianity in Greece) and garlic, which used to be something to scare the spirits away. And if we're being petulant about the actual Dracul, Vlad Tepes, he was a Transylvanian hero who made a myth about him eating his enemies hearts and drinking their bloods to scare the Turks and other muzzles away and people thought it was cool as fuck because he took that folklore local to the balkans and became that.

I can understand things like The Invinsible Man being an allegory since it's far more modern and possibly made to showcase something about the horrors of society shunning people away or whatever.
He warned youShow