Horror as an allegory

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Horror as an allegory

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Don't forget Get Out, which is a horror allegory for how white shitlibs want to be black so they can know what it's like to be a bull instead of a cuckold for once.

Oh wait, that's not an allegory. That's literally the plot. Jordan Peele is a subtle, intellectual nig.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Dracula is actually an allegory for the corrupting influence of a certain race of manipulative, large nosed, wealthy folk who hate Christ and prey on young virgin shiskas.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Rushy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 pm
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm
Doesn't he say something about pederasty after they all give her their blood and she still dies?
I'd have to check. English has changed so much since then that a lot of it flies over my head or is just difficult to remember because of the more magniloquent vocabulary.
I misremembered. It's polyandry he mentions
"If so that, then what about the others? Ho, ho! Then this so sweet maid is a polyandrist, and me, with my poor wife dead to me, but alive by Church's law, though no wits, all gone—even I, who am faithful husband to this now-no-wife, am bigamist."
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:34 pm
Rushy wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 pm
Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm
Doesn't he say something about pederasty after they all give her their blood and she still dies?
I'd have to check. English has changed so much since then that a lot of it flies over my head or is just difficult to remember because of the more magniloquent vocabulary.
I misremembered. It's polyandry he mentions
"If so that, then what about the others? Ho, ho! Then this so sweet maid is a polyandrist, and me, with my poor wife dead to me, but alive by Church's law, though no wits, all gone—even I, who am faithful husband to this now-no-wife, am bigamist."
Bram Stoker tried to warn us about polyamorous people over a hundred years ago.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 pm

He more tried to warn us about having our women violated by dirty foreigners
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Is this the thread where we talk about the shitty stream of "artsy" leftist horror films?

Jordan Peele's new movie comes out next week! Get ready for dem thinkpieces!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Bram Stoker dried to warn us about the dangers of the chad.

And horror is just a nice allegory tool. You can get pretty weird and nonsensical, without having to go full-on surrealist artfag.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Strangely, Peele is swearing up down and sideways that Us isn't a racial film. So it'll probably be about gays or immigrants.

The funniest thing was how indignant the dude got when it was suggested it was. Motherfucker, you made a movie that was basically YallWhiteFolxIsDAEMONS.jpg the movie. You then vowed to make "socially conscious" horror films. Who the fuck is this nutsack kidding?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:35 pm
Strangely, Peele is swearing up down and sideways that Us isn't a racial film. So it'll probably be about gays or immigrants.

The funniest thing was how indignant the dude got when it was suggested it was. Motherfucker, you made a movie that was basically YallWhiteFolxIsDAEMONS.jpg the movie. You then vowed to make "socially conscious" horror films. Who the fuck is this nutsack kidding?
The villains are dopplegangers of the black cast called "the tethered" so probably an allegory about unwoke black people.

Lindsay's Liver

Post by Lindsay's Liver » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

If I had to name my #1 problem with most media criticism these days it's this:

Too many people refuse to admit that they simply like trash.

There's nothing wrong with liking trash. As long as there have been stories told, people have loved trashy, sensational shit. I love a lot of trashy shit. I'm not above that. I see superhero movies. I got Netflix. I'm right there in the gutter with everyone else. Trash is eternal. It's always going to be around. By popular demand.

Today though, people really, really, really want to look smart. They need to look smart all of the time. And media criticism today is super democratic. You don't need to know shit to do it. You don't need to be interested in a wide variety of things. With Google and Wikipedia, you can fake your way into looking smart. So what you have today are lot of critics who aren't deep-diggers. (Think Chris Cuckmann, who seems to have seen three movies made pre-Star Wars and has little interest in anything that isn't mainstream studio product, but is still considered a movie expert by assholes.)

So, combine a) a shallow understanding of the media that they've chosen to talk about and b) an intense desire to look smart and insightful and what you get is...

A bunch of super-basic people who over-explain the trash they like until it sounds like something that's okay for today's "woke" person to enjoy.

That's why every blockbuster movie today is treated like a political statement. Merely being entertained isn't enough anymore. Marvel movies are ART and our time spent watching them is time well spent. Because we're SMART. That's what we tell ourselves, at least.

And there's nothing wrong with analyzing anything, Trash can be analyzed in all sorts of interesting and illuminating ways. It's just that we have way too many "critics" now trying way too hard to elevate the shit by way of bringing in their own agendas.