Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm

You'd think that in an industry obsessed with shared universes and way too long origin movies they wouldn't skip on such a vital part of the backstory.

In what continuity is this Venom, anyways? His his Spidey the new one from Marvel? The older one from the Amazing Spider-Man movies? Or a new one entirely (that they may or may not be allowed to ever show)?
Guest wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:50 pm
CGI has killed movies more than anything else. Ready Player One was a jerky mess. You would think with Spielberg directing it would be better than the average Marvel movie, but the camera just swings and flies and twirls and turns upside down with no regard at all. Just utterly without class.

It's like the CG artists direct their own movie then slip it in during post-production or something. Nothing fits.
There is no heart or soul to these movies. The people behind just don't care and goof off with effects 'n' shit.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Spielburg's last good movie was Catch Me If You Can. His last decent movie was War of the Worlds, and you can see him starting to slip in that.

He's 71, well over the speed limit (55) when all creative types start to slip. Instead of retiring, or carefully picking his roles, he's churning out movies annually and is busier providing more projects than ever.

His best movies really kind of followed the same themes (belonging. family, emotion, curiousity, adventure, discovering your capabilities, deciding what was important in life, dry but not sardonic humor, etc.).
Now hes seems like hes just picking random genres to cross them off his bucket list. None of them, even Private Ryan, have anything memorable or quotable about them other than the gory beach scene (which someone else was going to do soon anyway).

Quick! Name me something memorable without cheating (and that isn't a oronic meme) from Crystal Skull. How about The Terminal? War Horse? Munich? Lincoln? Ready Player One? (That one even give us a meme, even though it was arguably composed entirely of them).
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

JL Unlimited

Post by JL Unlimited » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:26 pm
Spielburg's last good movie was Catch Me If You Can. His last decent movie was War of the Worlds, and you can see him starting to slip in that.
< a movie with Justin Chatwin
< decent

Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm
You're a bunch of monkeys dancing for shekels. Dance and keep your pie holes shut, monkeys. Your dumbass opinions aren't wanted and aren't valid.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Crystal Skull gave us the nuked fridge.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I kind of liked the giant killer ants. The concept at least. I would have liked it to be gorier with the ants stripping the Russkie to the bone.)
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm
Also Cate Blanchett cosplaying as a hot Russian dominatrix.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Guest wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 pm
Guest wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 am
I guarantee you they tease Carnage as the next villain... before losing millions and finally ending Sony's attempt at a shared universe. Venom himself looks great, but the movie around him looks so generic and bland and the director is the guy who did the aggressively average Gangster Squad. Love me some Michelle Williams running around in a skirt, but she isn't enough to make me pay for this blander than bland blandness.
How the hell do you even make a Venom movie without having him debut in a Spiderman movie first? Everything about him is so firmly tied to Spiderman.

Venom is a combination of an alien goo monster who fused to Spiderman and picked up some of his powers and appearance and a dude who's deliberately a darker parallel to Peter Parker who tries to kill Spiderman while doing some vigilante work on the side. Take away Spiderman and it's not Venom. You just made a movie version of The Darkness.

At least Harley Quinn's basic concept isn't nearly as wrapped up in Batman: crazy girlfriend to a crazy crime lord.
Maybe they'll have Tobe Maguire cameo as Spidey.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 pm

And restore the old - aka superior - continuity. MovieBlob would definitely approve.
Guest wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:24 pm
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm
Also Cate Blanchett cosplaying as a hot Russian dominatrix.
And the fakest, as well as lamest chase scene through a thick jungle ever. Not even Super Sentai requires that much suspension of disbelief whenever their giant robots are strolling through the world's widest streets.
-Yours Truly

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Capeshit that I'd actually watch would be Lobo done by some director with cojones like Takashi Miike.

Shit, this little mini-movie from 2002 done with mere 2400 dollar budjet is better than approx. 100% of lollywood capeshit out there today. The actor playing Lobo really nails it.

But sadly there won't ever be a proper movie about the main man.
Tony Schiavone wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:26 pm
Quick! Name me something memorable without cheating (and that isn't a oronic meme) from Crystal Skull. How about The Terminal? War Horse? Munich? Lincoln? Ready Player One? (That one even give us a meme, even though it was arguably composed entirely of them).
In Munich there's a scene where mossad agent cums in his wife while thinking about shitraeli olympic team being slaughtered.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 am

I've been watching Battles Without Honor and Humanity. Pretty fun movies. They're not as outlandish as the Outlaw Goro the Assassin stuff, but more wild and crazy than, say, Godfather trilogy.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome