Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Rushy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:04 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:03 am
Hellraiser 2 is the Silent Hill 2 of movies. Ponder that for a second.
:? I can't, I never played that game
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:05 am

Rushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:04 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Do you know about the story and it's impact on the series at least?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:05 am
Rushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:04 am
Kugelfisch wrote:
Do you know about the story and it's impact on the series at least?
No, I'm almost completely unfamiliar. I know Silent Hill is somehow isolated from the rest of the world, I know the bomb siren is relevant somehow and I know Pyramid Head is a thing.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 am

Rushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 am
No, I'm almost completely unfamiliar. I know Silent Hill is somehow isolated from the rest of the world, I know the bomb siren is relevant somehow and I know Pyramid Head is a thing.
Alright, here's the skinny:
Silent Hill 1 was about a cult trying to summon basically Satan incarnate.
Silent Hill 2 is about "Silent Hill is a place where you go to fight your inner demons".

2 isn't really a sequel to 1. It did vastly change the perception people had of the series, though. Both feature "dude looks for somebody in Silent Hill which is kinda isolated and weird shit happens" but for totally different reasons.
Both are great games and just because 2 doesn't really fit together with 1 doesn't mean it's any less awesome. It's a tiny bit like Evil Dead 1 & 2 in that they both work but differently.

The big difference is that Silent Hill 3 went back to the cult stuff and was also great, while Hellraiser 3 was just shit. But the effect Silent Hill 2 had, as the most popular one, on the series has lead to anything after 3 being shit. Pyramid Head shouldn't actually be in any game except for 2, nurses shouldn't either. But that's what everyone knows, right? Hey, everyone knows Pinhead, right? He's got to be in Hellraiser! Let's just implement him fucking terribly because we've got no clue what we're doing!
Kinda like that. Difficult to explain to somebody that doesn't know SH2.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 am

They could have just not made shitty sequels to things.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 am

Guest wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 am
They could have just not made shitty sequels to things.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 am

I think I get the gist of it
although I think at least in Pinhead's case, it does theoretically make sense for him to be around because he is the guy in charge, it's just that most of the Hellraiser sequels aren't actually about people opening the box because of their inner desires. Which is more a flaw with the scripts themselves, rather than the inclusion of Pinhead in of itself.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 am

You absolutely nailed it with that comparison, Kugel. I remember playing Silent Hill Homecoming and all of sudden Pyramid head shows up, and I'm like WTF? It felt really shoehorned in. Silent Hill Origins had a really weak imitation Pyramid Head called the Butcher. The worst part of the Butcher is that I don't think they ever gave an explanation as to who he was or what he was doing in the game.

I really like Silent Hill 3 as well. The fact that they had a sarcastic teenage girl as the lead was an interesting twist.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 am

Rushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 am
I think I get the gist of it
although I think at least in Pinhead's case, it does theoretically make sense for him to be around because he is the guy in charge,
It does but for SH Pyramid Head outside of 2 doesn't make sense because he's not at all in charge of anything at all. He was a manifestation of something specific for one specific character.
Rushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 am
it's just that most of the Hellraiser sequels aren't actually about people opening the box because of their inner desires. Which is more a flaw with the scripts themselves, rather than the inclusion of Pinhead in of itself.
He's not so much a metaphor for Pinhead as he's more of a metaphor for the cube.
Just like you know nothing about SH and just knew Pyramid Head being in it, so did the people that made the later SH games just put him in there. Like how many of the later Hellraiser movies feel like they just put Pinhead and the cube in there without knowing why and for what reason. It's very "and then they get the cube and Pinhead shows up and does fucked up stuff because that's what happens in Hellraiser, right?".
Rapeculture wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 am
I really like Silent Hill 3 as well. The fact that they had a sarcastic teenage girl as the lead was an interesting twist.
Heather is best girl!
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:44 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:27 pm
Especially once you hit the Hellraiser in Space movie that's just some weird anthology thing.

And for all of Ravager's faults, it's probably better than a hypothetical reboot :lol:
Rimmer is fucking hot, but you really shouldn't go beyond Bloodline (aka ...In Space). The rest are DTV trash with little effort put into the story. There's one with a tits-less Kari Wurher, and another with Henry Cavill. I haven't seen the ashcan one, but the most recent with Nancy from Elm Street was cheap filtered nonsense filmed in Kansas or something. Pinhead can kill angels now.