Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:17 am

I caught some bits of Animal World today. It's a live action chink adaptation of Kaiji. It had white people in it. Loose adaptation I guess.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 am

Watched Animal World proper last night.
Kaiji is a chink now, he has chink friends, he has chink gf, a chink mommy, no chink daddy. He even has a jawb, hes a clown at an arcade. Theres weird CGI heavy action scenes (I've seen these compared to Deadpool, which I refuse to watch) where not!Kaiji imagines hes a clown (We live in a society) and hes hacking up spess aliums who spray technicolor blood because chinks. The trailer mostly consisted of these things, methinks it was a false advertising campaign akin to Kangaroo Jack or Snow Dogs. He also gets these fantasies when he gets angwy (moms gonna freak.)
The main conflict is on the not!Espoir, its the best part of the movie, naturally. It more or less was the Espoir arc as you saw in the anime/manga. The not!Espoir is repurposed as a big international waters type of deal, which gives the chink producers a chance to fill it with wypippo, and Micheal Douglass is their equivalent to Tonegawa. You see the spice aliuns again in delusion/"metaphoric" scenes, but not much. I think chinks just like CGI shit.
I read some articles about the flick and they got other howaito piggus involved under the hood, like an SFX guy and some music dweebs. It feels really gross seeing all those chink logos in front of a movie. Like I just can't see the Chinese as anything other than a producer of trash electronics and an overabundance of trash people. I don't watch new movies (this is the only flick made in the last two years I've seen) but I've seen those logos in front of Hollywood trash too. This is an actual authorized Kaiji adaptation too, its not like those Korean bootleg anime.
Theres sequel bait at the end. If its made I'll probably watch it. gib E-Card arc.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm

So they padded the movie out with stuff that actually made the movie more expensive? Huh...
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 pm

So I decided to watch Predator 2 the other day. I watched the original Predator a month or so ago and a lot of people were talking about the sequel being this cult classic. I'd watched twenty minutes of it years ago and twenty minutes was about all I could stand, but hearing people praise it made me think 'maybe I judged it a bit too hastily' so I endeavoured to give the film a second chance.

Nope.

Predator 2 is a fucking awful sequel. There's only 20 minutes of it that's maybe sort of good. The rest of the film is a sloppy, atonal mess. It doesn't know whether it wants to be your standard off-the-peg American cop movie, a dystopian science fiction film (it's set in the future for some dumb reason, or at least five minutes into the future in 1990) or the Predator sequel. The original Predator was well structured, you got a good sense of the characters and who they were. In Predator 2 you get the fiery latina cop, the comedian, Gary Busey as the mysterious CIA man, an asshole reporter for some reason and Roger Murtaugh. That's it. Nobody else has a character or a personality.

When Murtaugh finally, finally fights the Predator, it has absolutely none of the carthasis of Arnold fighting the Predator in the first film. The original Predator hunted contras and Green Berets. Arnold's unit was supposed to be the best. We saw them fight the guerillas in the beginning to showcase their talents. Arnold uses his own ingenuity and survival skills to build traps and makeshift weapons and mask his heat signature to avoid detection. When kills the Predator he cements his position as the best of the best.

There's nothing like that in Predator 2. The opening scene where they fight the gangbangers is kind of like the original's opening mission, except the Predator kills most of the bad guys so we never really get to see how tough Murtaugh is. We see how tough the Predator is, but we already knew that because, presumably, no one who would watch Predator 2 hasn't seen the original. When Murtaugh fights the Predator he doesn't build his own weapons and traps, he just shoots the shit out of him while he's distracted. He cuts off the Predator's arm (which for some reason prevents him from self-detonating) and kills him using his own high-tech razor thing, which just demonstrates that he's luckier than the Predator.

There's not a single original idea in Predator 2. I can see why Arnold didn't want to do it, and considering this is the guy who said yes to Junior, Red Sonja and a whole host of other crappy movies, that's saying quite a bit.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 am

Predator 2 with that old nigger Danny Glover???
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

Rapeculture

Post by Rapeculture » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:17 am

CIANIgger wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 am
Predator 2 with that old nigger Danny Glover???
It's honestly the most confounding thing ever. The casting absolutely sucked.
rabidtictac wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:57 am
Rapeculture lives in a van by the river and rapes bitches every day.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 am

The casting, and therefore the movie, sucked because they didn't want to pay the money. John McTiernan's directing fee went up by $2 million because Die Hard was so successful amongst other stuff, the producers didn't want to pay that so they didn't get him. Arnold didn't like the script or the choice of director but he would have done it (remember, this is the guy who did Junior) if they had offered him an extra $250,000. They didn't want to do that. As a result the movie fucking sucked.

Conversely, John McTiernan went and did The Hunt for Red October and it was hugely successful and Arnold went and did T2 and that was the height of his career.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 am

Eddie Murphy is like that. He grew up poor so he takes every movie for the money even if it sucks. Can't fault him for it.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:08 am

Guest wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:06 am
Eddie Murphy is like that. He grew up poor so he takes every movie for the money even if it sucks. Can't fault him for it.
Yeah, I can't either. Not Nick Cage either. Acting in a shit movie is still a pretty great job for spectacular pay. We all work much worse jobs for much, much less money.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 am

I don't completely agree. Yes, when you're a no name actor I can understand taking every role that comes your way because otherwise you can't make a living. You're not on salary. You can't afford to be selective with roles because otherwise you starve.

But big, established, name stars like Arnold or Eddie Murphy? Those guys have got loads of money. Arnold made his first million before he even signed for Conan. If you're a big actor and you take everything you just devalue your brand and ultimately hurt your career. Studio execs and producers aren't going to pay you the big money because they figure 'he'll do anything' and audiences are more likely to ignore the films you do because they figure 'he'll do anything'.
Kugelfisch wrote: