Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Tony Schiavone

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Tony Schiavone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:19 am
There's something to be said for a disaster movie where the disaster is basically a slasher villain.
Now that you mention it, I DO want to see an angry, vengeful ocean rise up and start stabbing people.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:07 am

Guest wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:29 am
I beat the shit out of my cock over Twister Helen Hunt. Not sure why.
Maybe it's because you have shit taste in white women, or in Helen's case, (((whiteoids)))?
There were plenty of fap-worthy actresses in the 90's, and yet, you chose Helen Cunt....

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:41 pm

What about THE Disaster Movie?
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:56 pm

We do not talk about Seltzerberg.
Tony Schiavone wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 am
Now that you mention it, I DO want to see an angry, vengeful ocean rise up and start stabbing people.
By hurling swordfish at people.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:33 am

Midnight's Edge had Ken Penders on and they fucking softballed the fuck out of the interview. Arguably the most autistic, creatively bankrupt, lolcowy person to ever draw comics with some of the most bullshittiest legal shenanigans in the history of the medium, and they fuckng softballed and praised and sucked his cock for an hour.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:40 am

BenComicGraphics wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:33 am
Midnight's Edge had Ken Penders on
Why? Who the hell needs to hear from that guy?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

BenComicGraphics

Post by BenComicGraphics » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:42 am

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:40 am
BenComicGraphics wrote:
Midnight's Edge had Ken Penders on
Why? Who the hell needs to hear from that guy?
Oh they sucked his furry dick hard.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:54 am

But seriously, why? Where the hell's the interest?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:39 pm

In preparation for 2020's Winter, I rewatched all the films in the only Estonian film franchise there is.

The original 1969 Spring and the book it's based on are some of the most iconic of Estonian stories. As said above, there's not really a dominant narrative. Spring is essentially a series of interconnected skits with recurring themes based on the personalities of the characters.

As a film, I can't say it's aged particularly well - practically the entire audio is dubbed and since we are dealing with children here, the acting is so-so. The fragmented style of the book is also carried over a bit too directly, meaning the film skips months at a time without any kind of transition. However, I was impressed with the inventive cinematography and the second half of the film, which is more comical and less focused on the cringeworthy prepubescent romance, is genuinely still fun. The crowd fight scenes over the riverbank certainly never get old.

But of course it's the characters that are at the heart of Spring. As a kid, I was somewhat invested in the protagonist, Arno Tali(portrayed by Arno Liiver). A deeply introspective, dreamy kid whom we liked as kids, but grow out of enjoying as adults because we'd much rather follow his antagonist, the endlessly rambunctious troublemaker Joosep Toots(Arne Laanemets), forever the plague of the red-faced pastor, who has the unenviable task of managing and disciplining an entire school of rowdy children.

Arno's heartfelt platitudes are easy to relate to as a growing child, but since the cynicism has long set in me, I did find myself wanting to skip his endless worrying over losing his wily girlfriend Teele(Riina Hein) to other boys. Indeed, Spring is at its most endearing during the purely comical sequences, most memorably fussy, whiny Kiir's(Margus Lepa) brother's christening, where he and Toots steal a winebottle and get drunk. Loads of laughs there.

Overall, it's still a classic, but mainly for youngsters to enjoy and think about.

Now here's a film for my tastes, and hardly surprising it is too, seeing as how Summer (1976) deals with young adults such as myself, and their first steps towards the rest of their lives. I find it very fitting that my favourite film in the series would shift as I age along with the characters.

Joosep Toots (Aare Laanemets reprising his iconic role) returns to his village of Paunvere, ready to apply Russian modernization onto his own farm whilst fighting with the perpetually hapless Kiir (Margus Lepa again) to win over the heart of the moody Teele (Riina Hein once more).

Unlike the previous film, which was limited to children's antics in the schoolhouse, Summer expands its setting to the entirety of the fictional Paunvere village, allowing for more character development and situational comedy as we contrast the lives of the agricultural Toots and the fussy tailor Kiir and how ill-fitting they are in each other's homes.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the film and novel is how it essentially discards Spring's protagonist, Arno, and transfers some of his characterisation(namely his friendship with the town drunk Lible and his romance with Teele) over to former antagonist Toots, presumably as a matter of convenience so the author could continue to use the locale and characters familiar to the readers whilst acknowledging that Arno never really fit in. He does appear, played by Liiver still, but only in a short, melancholy scene.

Summer is great, entertaining viewing for 20-year olds, with plenty of hijinks brought out by the now more mature actors.

And so we reach 1990's Autumn. Unfortunately, this is where the loyalty to the source material becomes somewhat problematic, as even that was somewhat perfunctory. One could argue that Autumn is about tying up loose ends and fondly reminiscing on the past, but it feels less like the commentary on midlife crisis that it should've been and more like, well, fan service.

Summer often harkened back to Spring, but it was hardly unoriginal. In fact, it was practically bursting with new ideas of what to do with the characters and where their lives have taken them since childhood. In direct contrast, Autumn places them exactly where we'd expect them to be. And then... well, keeps them there.

Just about the only notable change that it brings to the table is putting the skittish tailor Kiir(Margus Lepa still) in the forefront as the new protagonist and depicting his tumultous relationship with two competitor sisters(played by Liina Tennosaar and Anne Reemann), who quickly become his two love interests. It's an amusing idea and it's funny to see his family's reactions to Kiir's antics, but it takes up only about 20 minutes of the film, after which he resumes his attempts to satisfy his own ego by purchasing a farm, a subplot that was already well and truly mined in Summer.

Apart from that, all that Autumn can really bring to the table is an oppurtunity to see beloved characters together once again, doing their shtick and repeating the best lines from the previous films. And then it becomes really godawful towards the end when a fictionalised version of the author himself steps in. Yes, Oskar Luts, the writer of the book series, is actually a character in this film(played by Väino Laes), supposedly another schoolmate who's taken to writing about his own childhood experiences... even though he was never there in the previous films(and thank God for that). And he drags them all the way back to the original school, where everyone sits and grins at the camera in their original seats. It's as terrible as it sounds.

Still, if you want to spot Arno Liiver's even-briefer-than-the-last-film cameo, there's your chance.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:00 pm

BenComicGraphics wrote:
Midnight's Edge had Ken Penders on and they fucking softballed the fuck out of the interview. Arguably the most autistic, creatively bankrupt, lolcowy person to ever draw comics with some of the most bullshittiest legal shenanigans in the history of the medium, and they fuckng softballed and praised and sucked his cock for an hour.
I guess Ken Penders is their personal Spoony. Muh precious memories. Muh dark times.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette