Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Movie Thread

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Star Trek IV was also a big hit and made more than II and III, so that may have enticed Paramount to provide a bigger budget for V.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:37 pm
Liar Revealed wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:37 pm
Do you have a source for that? As far as I know, the first movie cost the most to make. Paramount was pissed off at how badly ST:TMP movie did, so all the sequels had severely reduced budgets.
That is correct, I forgot about The Motion Picture. However, Star Trek V did cost more to make than Star Treks II, III and IV and, unlike The Motion Picture (which made something like $130 million on a nearly $50 million budget), Star Trek V just barely missed doubling its budget.
Those guys made the most of what little money they had and did a pretty good job of it with 2-4 and 6. Shatner just got way too unrealistically ambitious with 5 and should have been reeled in much earlier in production.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:24 pm

I wish Jack Nicholson came back to do something cool.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Keith Chegwin wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 pm
All I remember from Bad Boys I is that it was shit, but Tea Leoni was quite hot.
All I remember is that it was strangely boring for a buddy cop action flick starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:16 pm
Star Trek: The Motionless Picture is actually really good, despite its agonizingly slow pace at times (the film starts with a starfield that plays for a couple minutes before the opening credits even begin, setting the tone for every scene in the film).

The concept of V'Ger is one of the most interesting ideas to come out of Star Trek, though. An antagonist who isn't really bad, just a machine attempting to complete its purpose as it comprehended it. It's probably the most "hard Sci-Fi" stuff in the franchise, in the films at least.
I have a soft spot for the first movie as well. Not in my Top 3, but pretty cool when I'm in the right mood.

And V'Ger is really friggin' cool. There were plenty of TOS episodes with weird and/giant, godlike entities/phenomena, and V'Ger feels like a good adaptation of that for the big screen, with less camp and the special effects to back it all up.
I mean, that thing is a spaceship-nebula-thing so ginormous and alien that you can't even grasp its true form at the starship-scale. It's like an Elder Machine God or something.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm
All I remember is that it was strangely boring for a buddy cop action flick starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.
From what I remember the plot was just some sitcom mistaken identity plot, which would be tedious enough in a half hour sitcom but this movie was like 90 minutes long, maybe longer.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

JL Unlimited

Post by JL Unlimited » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm
Martin Lawrence is the AIDS Moby Max Landis of comedians.
Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:17 pm
You're a bunch of monkeys dancing for shekels. Dance and keep your pie holes shut, monkeys. Your dumbass opinions aren't wanted and aren't valid.

da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:05 pm

What, you didn't like Black Knight?
Is Spoony dead yet?

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Watched Dark City directors cut and eXistenZ yesterday. I liked eXistensZ more out of the two but both of them are pretty good for a first watch.

Its amazing to me how two mediocre movies from 20 years ago are still heaps better than anything released in the last 10 years or so. Better pacing, better plots, better reveals, better acting etc and no in your face political bs
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Told you you'd like eXistenZ. I feel like movies like that aren't made anymore. Just overall well-made movies with an interesting story.
Screamers is another one of those movies I'd see on TV as a kid late at night that stuck with me.
It's like this middle class of movies is completely gone. When I think of some of the cult classics, most of them are like that.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Yeah it was suprisingly good. I think the only things I didnt like is the abrupt ending which leaves a lot unexplained.

Im not even sure if VR was established in that world already or that the game they played was the first attempt at virtual reality. Some little plotholes too but thats alright.
Cant stand Jude Law though, this might be his best role Ive seen him in but still felt quite flat.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine