Anybody here watch Vikings?

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
da PAC Nigguh
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Anybody here watch Vikings?

Post by da PAC Nigguh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 pm
I find the Fenton thing pretty funny because his - still very *white* - Gizmoduck getup still covers all of his skin. It's like he's ashamed of his heritage.
He turns into a White Hispanic vigilante. Trayvon better hide.
Is Spoony dead yet?

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Watch DuckTales jump the shark:
I never realised it before but that song is exactly like Poochie's song
Last edited by Keith Chegwin on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm

I can see them running into adaptation versions seeing as DuckTales removed Donald from the equation, who is an indispensable henchman and foil for Scrooge in the comics.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:59 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm
I can see them running into adaptation versions seeing as DuckTales removed Donald from the equation, who is an indispensable henchman and foil for Scrooge in the comics.
He was there in a few episodes but otherwise yeah
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:27 am

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm
It's not just because they took out Donald that their adaptations were shit. The DuckTales writers just don't have the same feel for plot that Barks did. One of the stories they adapted was 'Back to the Klondike' and the DuckTales writers got rid of the funny inciting incident that set the plot in motion. They toned down a lot of Scrooge's more unsavoury personality traits. They added your bog-standard moustache twirling villain. If you compare comic with TV cartoon the TV cartoon is generally inferior for a lot of reasons that don't have anything to do with Donald.

It's not just me saying this either. When the DuckTales movie came out a lot of the critics mentioned Carl Barks and mentioned how 'inspired Indiana Jones' seemed to be the only thing the Disney people took away from his comics.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:01 pm

The thing about Donald is that he works fine in comics, but in animation you can't understand what the hell he's saying if he has any dialogue more than two or three words.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:01 pm
The thing about Donald is that he works fine in comics, but in animation you can't understand what the hell he's saying if he has any dialogue more than two or three words.
Personally I think they could make Donald as intelligible or unintelligible as they want. But I understand why they removed him for the cartoon. The problem with his removal is that in the comics you had a good contrast between Donald, who is almost Homer Simpson-like in his lack of ambition and his drifting from job to job, and Uncle Scrooge, who is incredibly ambitious and always focused on the pursuit of wealth and new ventures, and the triplets, who are smart and resourceful and take more after Uncle Scrooge than Donald Duck.

In cartoon instead of Donald you've got Launchpad, who adds absolutely nothing to the plots other than 'Hurr I crash planes lol'.
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm

The comics also have that part where Donald is essentially Scrooge's slave because he has them by the financial balls. I think that was a bit toned down in the cartoons.
Liar Revealed wrote:
Giving him that voice and keeping it even for situations where he's not going apeshit was a bit of a mistake in hindsight.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm
The comics also have that part where Donald is essentially Scrooge's slave because he has them by the financial balls. I think that was a bit toned down in the cartoons.
Liar Revealed wrote:
Giving him that voice and keeping it even for situations where he's not going apeshit was a bit of a mistake in hindsight.
Sometimes they dial it back to be more understandable
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:53 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 pm
It worked fine for those little 8-9 minute cartoons in the '30s. There was really no way Walt and the guys could have predicted the popularity and longevity of the character. And there's really nothing that can be done at this point. EVERYBODY, even normies, would be upset if they tried to change his voice now.
お前はもう死んでいる。