Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Books

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:07 am

Guest wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 pm
That one guest who fucking hates B&N (as you should) must be livid.
Why? They tried to virtue signal to the extreme, got slapped down by the very progressive mob they tried to court, and probably lost quite a bit of money
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Cuckara

Post by Cuckara » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am

da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 pm
Barnes and Noble decided to print editions of classic books with KANGZ N SHEIT on the covers:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/02/barne ... celed.html
Barnes & Noble kicked off Black History Month by announcing a new initiative with Penguin Random House to create “a series of covers for twelve American classics that reimagine protagonists as people of color.” The “Diverse Editions” were scheduled to be unveiled at the Fifth Avenue Barnes & Noble in New York—but after a backlash that included accusations of “literary blackface,” not only has the event been canceled, the entire initiative has been suspended.
Holy shit, lmao. It's astonishing that this shit was thought up by Barnes and Noble, carried out by Penguin Random House, and at no point did anyone in either chain of command say, "this is a terrible idea that will be widely mocked." I hope some copies of those books survive and get out to the public; I want to see all of the hilariously awful covers.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 am

What gets me is the thinking behind it
some stupid fucker wrote:At first glance, the covers seem like they’re attempting to address the inherent whiteness of the canon, asking and answering the question, “What if your favorite literary characters reflected the diversity of America?”
Yes, because that's something I've often wondered "What if these novels, mostly written in pre-20th century Britain, were as diverse as 21st century America?"
Kugelfisch wrote:
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:39 pm

Don't be silly. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn had an important black character. I think he was called Jim of Color.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Tony Schiavone

Post by Tony Schiavone » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 am

Cuckara wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am
Holy shit, lmao. It's astonishing that this shit was thought up by Barnes and Noble, carried out by Penguin Random House, and at no point did anyone in either chain of command say, "this is a terrible idea that will be widely mocked." I hope some copies of those books survive and get out to the public; I want to see all of the hilariously awful covers.
Damn cancellation. I really wanted to read about Blackenstein.
...and still: Spoony did nothing.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:02 am

B&N is a shit shack only good for its free coffeeshop WiFi. Who the fuck pays 37 dollars for a book?

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:03 am

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 am
Cuckara wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am
You mean Frankenstein wasn't already a nigga?
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:51 am

Tony Schiavone wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:59 am
It's the same book, it's just the cover that's blacked
Guest wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:02 am
B&N is a shit shack only good for its free coffeeshop WiFi.
If you're a Yank and you're into film their twice yearly Criterion sale is pretty good
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm

I wonder: Would Blackenstein be about a black guy creating a white monster, or the other way around? Afro-Islamic faith certainly tends towards the former :thinking:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Cuckara

Post by Cuckara » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:19 pm

The details behind this shitshow are even more amusing than I thought they would be:
Diverse Editions was initially conceived to answer the question, "What if your favorite literary characters reflected the diversity of America?" It was in part inspired by the casting of Noma Dumezweni, who is black, as Hermione Granger in the original stage production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
The project involved a collaboration between Barnes & Noble, PRH, and TBWA\Chiat\Day, a prominent advertising agency; the initiative was led by a trio of African-American executives, including Sanyu Dillon, executive v-p and director of marketing strategy and consumer engagement at Penguin Random House; Cal Hunter, manager for business development and the business department of Barnes & Noble 5th Avenue; and Doge Melville, chief diversity officer for TBWA North America. In addition, the seven artists creating the new cover art were also ethnically and racially diverse.
Artificial intelligence technology was used to scan more than 100 public domain classics. Books that did not specify the race or ethnicity of their main characters were deemed suitable for the promotion.
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by- ... otion.html

By the way, here's an image that shows off some of the covers:Image