Books

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Books

Post by Rushy » Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Hang on, what? Did they really say the Masters are Face Dancers? I don't remember that at all. I thought the Masters created the Face Dancers as a separate species specifically designed for shapeshifting and to be obedient servants.

Also you'd think Duncan and Scytale would lose their marbles after a while with those neverending comebacks. Can a human brain(even one from 15 000 something years from the future) even store all of those lifetimes?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 am

The masters are practically super gholas. None of them are in their original bodies anymore and since Scytale, who is practically the top master, is/was a facedancer it's heavily implied. There are several mentions about how they felt most comfortable with their default look, which is of a sharp-toothed, small elf-like faggot (think fairy tale elf, not LOTR elf) with pale skin. That stuff is mentioned when Scytale meets with the Great Matres for the first time and how nobody has seen the actual look of a master before.
The regular face dancers are basically the same thing but without free will. If there's more that actually differenciates the masters it's not mentioned. Frank loved to never truly elaborate on stuff like that. Like if the masters were somehow a different species or not. Not that there are any intelligent alien life forms in Dune at all but rather Ixians, face dancers and guild navigators are just heavily genetically engineered humans, but you know what I mean.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Yeah, I get that the Masters are gholas and have been since they figured out how to restore a ghola's memories in Dune Messiah, but I still don't get how a lowly Face Dancer assassin can become a Tleilaxu Master(who doesn't have shapeshifting ability, or else they'd have used it).

That means somebody saved Scytale's DNA specifically(I can imagine Alia's sycophants doing this), sold it to the Tleilaxu who brought him back(maybe to find out how exactly the process worked) and then re-engineered him into a Master for whatever reason.

That's a LOT to leave to the readers to figure out.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri May 25, 2018 2:21 pm

See that doesn't make much sense either. Scytale, as a master, is pretty much the boss master. Shit like this is what annoyed my during the entire series. Just random dumb shit that's never elaborated on when you think it would be at some point.
All of this wouldn't even have been a problem if Frank just bothered to give the master guy a different name.
I'm still fairly sure that the masters can face dance to some extend.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri May 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Maybe, though I interpreted it as the Masters having genetically engineered their own biology for their own benefit.

I just remembered that Duncan Idaho looks like a combination of Kim Jong-Un and a Centauri from Babylon 5 in the 1992 video game.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri May 25, 2018 2:35 pm

Yeah they have, including the ability to face dance, I believe. You know what? Who cares. It's a mess anyway.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri May 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:35 pm
Yeah they have, including the ability to face dance, I believe. You know what? Who cares. It's a mess anyway.
Not as badly botched as the 1984 film
Kugelfisch wrote:

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:39 am

Been reading Bram Stoker's Dracula and I'm now convinced no decent film adaptation of it exists.
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:28 pm

At least Glorious Nippon made a pretty good sequel.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Actually, Stoker's great-grandnephew made some kind of fanfic sequel where it turns out Dracula was the good guy all along and came to London in the original novel to kill Elizabeth Bathory because he's a servant of God or something. And it ends on the Titanic.
Kugelfisch wrote: