Non-cape tv show

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Non-cape tv show

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 am

Ho Lee Phuk, Mexican Magnum PI is a thing! Saw the preview before Antifa-Man and The Woke. He's like 5' 5", has an accent, and makes racial jokes. "Don't worry, they only eat white meat" before jumping into water with sharks.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Yeah, heard about that. It's such a stupid idea. Tom Selleck is Magnum and trying to do a CURRENT YEAR reboot of an '80s classic is generally a stupid fucking idea.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Seeing Breaking Bad for the first time, finished season 4 a few weeks ago.
Overall, really loving the show, the writing is consistently good and there's not a bad actor to be found. I do miss the early black comedy with Jesse and Walt having a rather incompetent start in the meth business, but the drama keeps it going.

If I had any complaints, it's that season 3 was really slow for the most part. After Tuco's death, the show really didn't have a villain until Gus and Walt became rivals. At least season 2 continued with the theme of Walt and Jesse still figuring things out. In season 3, they have a steady job and they haven't pissed off Gus yet, so... shrug. It wasn't bad or anything, it's just that until then, the show had had a really nice pace with the characters constantly on the point of catastrophe with some issue or the other.

Best episode so far, obviously the Fly one. Favourite character's Walt himself. He's very relatable.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Auli

Post by Auli » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:16 am

I ended up watching the trailer for Final Space on Netflix. Anyone seen? Seems to look good.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Rushy wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm
Overall, really loving the show, the writing is consistently good and there's not a bad actor to be found. I do miss the early black comedy with Jesse and Walt having a rather incompetent start in the meth business, but the drama keeps it going.
That's pretty much the feeling I had about it but eventually that becomes grating. I'd say the original run ended exactly when it started to really overstay it's welcome. I haven't seen the last episodes they filmed later when the show blew up in popularity because I really don't feel like they are necessary.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm
Rushy wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm
That's pretty much the feeling I had about it but eventually that becomes grating. I'd say the original run ended exactly when it started to really overstay it's welcome. I haven't seen the last episodes they filmed later when the show blew up in popularity because I really don't feel like they are necessary.
Original run? What do you mean? The show never had a hiatus.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Not to mention that season 5 was the best in my opinion. It was very gratifying to see Walt take charge after having been under Gus' heel for the past two seasons and form his own drug empire at last. And the way it gradually fell apart in the end was brilliantly done.
The show's tone does change considerably from black comedy to heavy drama, but it was clearly intentional(the more shit you throw on the characters, the more fucked up they become) and fluidly done, so it worked very well. My preference towards the black comedy side is just that - my preference. But the show was consistently great.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 pm

The last season was filmed a good bit later. They were done filming and everything. The hype for the show picked up real late when they were already at season 4 or something. Go look it up. It didn't have a hiatus but it was already done entirely on the production side when it became mega popular and they called everyone back to tack another season on.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:46 pm

I heard they weren't sure they were going to get another season, but I can't imagine the show without its fifth season. It wouldn't have a resolution otherwise.
Hank and the rest of the family finally finding out the truth, Walt's life crumbling apart riiiight after we finally see him on top of the world, this is stuff that the show was building up to since season 1.
Point is, it's not some tacked-on epilogue, it's legitimately needed for the show to be complete given how serialised it is.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:54 pm

I disagree. You can potentially keep every kind of story going but that doesn't mean you should. I was getting real tired of the constant, cartoony "GOTTA RAISE THEM STAKES DRAGONBALL STYLE" shit the show settled into.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!