Non-cape tv show

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Non-cape tv show

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Or I think the just ran into the same problem that fucked over TV shows, video game "trilogies" and manga alike: the story's effectively all wrapped up, but it's ben such a smash-hit that your higher-ups demand more. So you do just that, preferrably in such a way that you can keep continuing this shit for as long as you need.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:22 pm

That reminds me of when Supernatural's creator ditched it after the fifth season and yet it went on for another decade or so
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:14 pm

It is the classic clash of people trying to tell a story with an actual arc and conclusion, and the typical (mostly Western) design philosophy of having your TV show run for as long as ratings will allow.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:16 pm

The Supernatural anime where they couldn't even get Dean for the dub was the true kino. Should have stopped there.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:33 am

Rushy wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:58 pm
Tony Schiavone wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:09 pm
Just for once...I'd like to see a show actually accomplish what it set out to do in the premise.
I do agree with you there. It's become a bit of a modern trend for shows to establish a plot and then hurriedly wrap it up in the first season finale so they could do something completely different after that. I'm guessing it's because the writers wanted to do that 2nd thing all along, but they had to sell the show to the studio.
I think that's usually because they don't know if there's going to even BE a second season. This was even worse in the past with network shows. 24 jumps the shark halfway through season one because they didn't know if the show was going to go beyond 12 episodes. They wrapped everything up at episode 12, then a bunch of stupid stuff happens (e.g., Jack Bauer's wife gets amnesia) to keep the plot going for another 12 episodes.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 am

That's why The Wire is so good. Four seasons, all about other aspects of the situation. One focuses on the Gangs, one on the police, one on the dock workers and the supply chain and one about the politics. Everything they wanted to say they did. Characters got as little or much time as needed, everything is concluded.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 am

Guest wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:33 am
24 jumps the shark halfway through season one because they didn't know if the show was going to go beyond 12 episodes. They wrapped everything up at episode 12, then a bunch of stupid stuff happens (e.g., Jack Bauer's wife gets amnesia) to keep the plot going for another 12 episodes.
Thing is that 24 generally, even beyond that first season, was totally made up as they went along. If it was me writing it I'd meticulously plan everything that happens in every hour. But not the actual writers, no no. Every plot they involved the daughter in was complete shit. They eventually cut the daughter, which in some ways was a shame because she was hot. In other ways it was like 'Thank God' because her running around with lions and other stupid shit was really getting on my nerves
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:19 am

Only good 24 was the miniseries with Yvonne Strahovski and that bodybuilder from Gay of Thrones. Then they immediately fucked it up by not bringing fappable Yvonne back and replacing Bauer with a nig of color.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 pm

I never really watched 24... only saw bits and pieces.
IIRC, the actress that played the daughter thought she was hot shit and left for a movie career.
A high school classmate guest starred in an episode, but I never bothered to watch.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 pm

The daughter hit the wall hard.