What are you listening to?

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:07 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:50 am
Early distortion effects were achieved by literally cranking the volume up so high that the sound started to fuck up. I'm pretty sure that's what Cream did. You can achieve the same sound the same way today if you don't value your ears.
Yup, a semi-broken Fender amp. They made amps to give you a clear and crisp guitar sound, not to distort it. That's perfectly understandable. Your HiFi back then does the same thing as you want whatever comes out of the speaker to be an accurate representation of what you play on it, not some distorted mess.
rabidtictac wrote:
Even more recently, digital music allowed for the creation of wubstep trash and autotuners have allowed Lady Gaga to make a living. To the great disappointment of us all.
Not all technical innovations lead to good.

Then again, you can hear a massive difference between what was possible in Hardcore if you compare old songs from the peak of the Gabber age in 2004 like this one:

And the newer remix by Angerfist from 2013:

That kinda bass and overdrive just plain wasn't possible back then. No utility could create that, despite everything just being digital even back then.
Also, of course, stylistic differences. The old version still has the appeal of just being blunt as fuck.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:17 am

I prefer old sounds myself. The tone, if I can wax hipster, always sounds richer and fuller to me. It's also a case of doing more with less, many times. The sound of a volume-overdriven, broken tube amp is unique and can't be perfectly emulated by electronic, solid-state equipment. That's not to say electronic music sounds like shit. But it has its own sound. I do find overly-produced music melds really poorly with certain genres, notably classic rock and blues. Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" is pure, overdriven, FAT tone. The kind of sound that just screams tube, volume-cranked audio wall. It has layering that you can just hear:

Some rock and blues musicians go way too far into electronic/over-produced, "clean" sounds:

This is probably the best song off that album, too. That or "Dead and Gone." It's not awful, but the tone is thin and too produced.

This shit needed the bass boosted. The bottom end sounds anemic with all that fancy keyboard shit over it.

Listen to how produced the "distortion" is on this one. Ugh. Sounds like a commercial for car insurance.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:30 am

When it comes to e-guitar I am fully with you in the tube amp camp with you. I've got an ENGL Screamer 50. Solid state amps can go eat a dick and I don't care how many fuckboys tell me they supposedly sound just as fine - they just plain don't. We're not talking about gilded, platinum-coated, fairy dust audio cables here. It's differences even a tone-deaf faggot like me that has blown out his finer hearing somewhen after the turn of the millennium can tell.
You can even still hear the much fatter sound if you use very digital pedals like my beloved Whammy.

I've played that intro on plenty of good amps and while it obviously sounds differently depending on guitar and amp from the album, it never sounds right on solid state amps.
Just because I like fully digital, electronic music doesn't mean I like Metal that uses them besides maybe Industrial where the cold and artificial sound fits.
Stoner Rock especially just plain doesn't work with solid state amps IMHO.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:57 am

rabidtictac wrote:
Even more recently, digital music allowed for the creation of wubstep trash and autotuners have allowed Lady Gaga to make a living. To the great disappointment of us all.
Thankfully, digital music has also made hack 3DPD obsolete :mrgreen:
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Nobue

Post by Nobue » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:59 am

I know some people say Weezer is gay, but this song is like Pinkerton again.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 am

Meganekko Miku (aka Best Miku) doing what she does best: singing a song about depression. If this can't cure Spoony, then nothing will.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm going for a balanced music post this time around. For there cannot be light without shadow, and the brighter the light, the darker the shadow...

The theme for Ichi, the arrogant little shit whose life takes a glorious turn for the worse as people start suspecting that he is Shounen Bat, for essentially no other reason than him being the most prominent rollerblade enthusiast around.
Ma boi Hirasawa's catchy tunes fit perfectly to the beginning of the episode when he is still the alpha chad of his school, and the general distortion works even better for the end when his sanity starts going south fast.

The theme for this year's Magical Mirai, which will probably be the smallest and saddest one yet (unless they want a superspreader event). Ma boi PinocchioP delivers a touching, philosophical and downright metaphysical loveletter to the fans about existence in non-existence. How can my undying love not burn more true and honest than ever before?
-Yours Truly

Moe Bitches
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Moe Bitches » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:17 pm

A sample paradox.

I can't decide which one I like the most.

da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 am
Shit like this is why satire is dead in currentyear.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Boney M's original tune, for it is funkier.
-Yours Truly

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:12 am

That's a hard choice. I'd say that Nitghttrain and Duck Sauce compare to each other like the two versions of Rubbernecking by Elvis.
Original:

Remix:

Both are very similar and both are great. Depending on the mood I may prefer one over another. If you'd force me I'd pick the old version.

Boney M I'd single out as you can't give me any song of them without me immediately wanting to hear their better songs.
Including one of the best songs ever recorded:

I'm aware that that's also a cover but it's so much better than the original it's like Carpenter's The Thing.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!